New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Images, Graphic Design, and Digital Photography Discussion of all things graphics.

Graphic Design with a 13''

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

thirdeyeblind82

thirdeyeblind82 is on a distinguished road

Hello guys,
I don't know if that's the good area to talk about this. Move the thread if I chosed the wrong section.
Anyway I finally decided to buy a macbook 13'' retina. I'm a graphic designer for a company but sometimes happen to me to do something as freelancer.
I was thinking to buy an external screen to use with the macbook, but right now I can't afford it.

Do you think that I could do some graphic design work even with a 13''?
I'm using a 15'' right now to freelancing and it's ok, even if it's not the best solution.
I don't know if a 13'' is really to small for this.

What do you think?
Thanks a lot!
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Doing graphic design on a 13" screen is possible especially since it has a retina display. You're just going to have to get used to it until you can afford a large external monitor.
QUOTE Thanks
thirdeyeblind82

Thanks! That's a relief!
I was thinking about a 13'' cause I already have a 15'' and I think it's too big and heavy to move around the house. A 13" would be perfect.
My problem was just if it's possible to work with it before getting an external monitor.

Do you think a 2.6GHz one is fast enough to work with the Adobe suite?
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Quote:
Do you think a 2.6GHz one is fast enough to work with the Adobe suite?
Yes. But more important - since the 13" Retina MacBook Pro can not be upgraded once you purchase it, it's paramount to order it with the upgrades you can afford. For example, order plenty of memory which is needed for graphics design and a large enough flash drive to do your work. CPU speed is not near as important as memory and flash drive size, so keep that in mind.
QUOTE Thanks
thirdeyeblind82

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
Yes. But more important - since the 13" Retina MacBook Pro can not be upgraded once you purchase it, it's paramount to order it with the upgrades you can afford. For example, order plenty of memory which is needed for graphics design and a large enough flash drive to do your work. CPU speed is not near as important as memory and flash drive size, so keep that in mind.
Yeah, I was thinking to buy the best 13'' even if that costs me a lot. Anyway I saw that there are good refurbished macbook, so I could save some money there...
QUOTE Thanks
richardbroberts

richardbroberts is on a distinguished road

I had also recently considered getting a new 13 inch retina for working while traveling. I work as a photo retoucher/compositor and would like a light weight easy to travel workspace. I decided to hold off for now and continue using my 15 inch macbook pro.

I can defiantly see myself purchasing one in the future though. The retina display is fantastic in terms of the extra pixel space you get.

Chsag said it well in recommending you get a nice large display at some point. I think if your doing heavy work from home or the office it would be much easier to have a bigger display to connect it with.

Regardless I think where the 13 inch really shines is if you need a mobile workstation.
QUOTE Thanks
Exodist

Exodist is just really niceExodist is just really niceExodist is just really niceExodist is just really nice
Mac Specs: L2012 Mini, i7 2.6Ghz, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD, dual 23" LED Displays

@3rdEye,
Do you need a mobile solution to work on stuff while out in the field? Or just show your ideas?
I know I do my work on my desktop but keep my photographic portfolio on my iPad.

I have nothing against at 13" rMBP, I just expect a MacBook Pro to have more power then a silly dual core regardless of the size of the screen. This is why I mentioned this as you can get a nice Mac Mini for less money and have lots more processing power.

I really wished they would bring back the 17" MBP for us slightly blind group. :-p

NEW!! Exodist Photography Video Blog
***If someone helps you, please don't forget to use the reputation system.***
QUOTE Thanks
thirdeyeblind82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exodist View Post
@3rdEye,
Do you need a mobile solution to work on stuff while out in the field? Or just show your ideas?
I know I do my work on my desktop but keep my photographic portfolio on my iPad.

I have nothing against at 13" rMBP, I just expect a MacBook Pro to have more power then a silly dual core regardless of the size of the screen. This is why I mentioned this as you can get a nice Mac Mini for less money and have lots more processing power.

I really wished they would bring back the 17" MBP for us slightly blind group. :-p
Well, I already have a job as graphic designer, so I spend most of my time in office.
Anyway I do sometimes some freelance work at home, as illustrations or websites. I need something that makes my extra work comfortable and at the same time something that I can move around easily.
For the second reason I was aiming on a 13'' (my 15'' laptop is not so easy to move around).
But I wasn't so sure if it was possible to do design works with the 13", cause of the small screen and the machine power.
Anyway I saw that the most expensive 13" has far better power than my old iMac that I left at my old house, and I used to work with.
So maybe it's just a problem of screen size.

Considering that I'd like to buy an external screen in some month from now, maybe I can manage to work with a small screen for a short period...
QUOTE Thanks
Exodist

Exodist is just really niceExodist is just really niceExodist is just really niceExodist is just really nice
Mac Specs: L2012 Mini, i7 2.6Ghz, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD, dual 23" LED Displays

The problem with the 13" IMHO is that its Dual Core CPU and only integrated Iris Graphics. If it at least had a dedicated video or a quad core CPU with Iris Pro, then it would work well. But Dual Core with just Iris pro for graphics work is going to be sluggish IMHO. The 13" screen can be dealt with a bottle of Advil. Yea its small but man its convenient. You never know when you may have to change something on the road. If you can go with the 15" Quad Core core, then you will be better off IMHO..

QUOTE Thanks
thirdeyeblind82

Yeah, this makes sense but I was thinking to use it alone for 3-4 months and then get an external monitor. So this problem with the screen would be solved, wouldn't it?
QUOTE Thanks
Exodist

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdeyeblind82 View Post
Yeah, this makes sense but I was thinking to use it alone for 3-4 months and then get an external monitor. So this problem with the screen would be solved, wouldn't it?
I would have to say yes, although I would still get a economical 24 or 27" LCD later on down to road to help keep the eye strain down from continuous use.

QUOTE Thanks
thirdeyeblind82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exodist View Post
I would have to say yes, although I would still get a economical 24 or 27" LCD later on down to road to help keep the eye strain down from continuous use.
Yeah, I think I'm gonna struggle a little with my eyes for the first months and then get an economical 27"ish screen.
The one from Apple is 900 but I think I can get something cheaper for the same quality on the market, don't you think?
QUOTE Thanks
Exodist

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdeyeblind82 View Post
Yeah, I think I'm gonna struggle a little with my eyes for the first months and then get an economical 27"ish screen.
The one from Apple is 900 but I think I can get something cheaper for the same quality on the market, don't you think?
1080p monitors are cheap. I don't mean that in a bad way. LOL.. You can get a good 1080p monitor that still will reproduce accurate color and contrast without breaking the bank.

I do photography and some graphical work and use two 23" Samsung LED displays, both at 1920x1080 each. It just took me a hour to correctly calibrate the displays. Now I have all the desk space I need and my eyes don't scream bloody marry..

QUOTE Thanks
thirdeyeblind82

So I'm gonna ask again in this forum when I'm gonna buy the external monitor, cause I don't know anything about them!

Actually I'm choosing a MacBook because of the OSX. I'm pretty sure that technically speaking, has the same value of a laptop that costs half the price.
For this reason I think I'm gonna buy an external screen from Sansung or somebody else.
QUOTE Thanks
thirdeyeblind82

I noticed that in the "refurbished" area, there are usually macbooks with Intel i7 and Intel i5.
I thought that Intel i7 is faster than intel i5 but sometimes prices don't confirm this thing...
What could be the reason?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Resize photos for web | card reader help »