New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Images, Graphic Design, and Digital Photography Discussion of all things graphics.

Graphics Card Question

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

paulBlarticus

paulBlarticus is on a distinguished road

Hi,
I own a late 2012 27'' iMac. I am an animation student so i use autodesk Maya, Pixologic Zbrush and the entire adobe creative suite. Recently i have had a lot of problems with maya crashing. I did a little research and found a few things that say it could be my graphics card. I'm looking for any kind of advice, input, or suggestions as it has become increasingly frustrating. my Mac's current specs are as follows:

3.4 GHz Quad Core Intel Corei7
32GB 1600 MHz DDR3 SDRAM- 4X8GB
3TB 7200-rpm Serial ATA Drive
NIVIDIAGeFrc GTX 680MX-2G-GDDR5
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Are you experiencing crashing in any other program or just Maya? Your machine certainly has enough system and graphics memory. And, is your iMac still under warranty or extended warranty with Apple care? If it is, it might be a good idea to make an appointment with your local Apple Store genius bar and have them run diagnostics on your iMac.

You might wish to run the Apple Hardware Test on your iMac before contacting Apple. See the following Apple KB article here.
QUOTE Thanks
paulBlarticus

paulBlarticus is on a distinguished road

It's only maya that crashes. Thank you for your quick reply. I may bring it in to the genius bar like you suggested.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS X.10

SP3 has been released:-

Autodesk Maya 2014 Service Pack 3 | Autodesk Help and Support

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
Exodist

Exodist is just really niceExodist is just really niceExodist is just really niceExodist is just really nice
Mac Specs: L2012 Mini, i7 2.6Ghz, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD, dual 23" LED Displays

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulBlarticus View Post
It's only maya that crashes. Thank you for your quick reply. I may bring it in to the genius bar like you suggested.
Having worked with 3D modeling software, the first thing I must ask is if you have contacted Maya about the issue and is your video card listed as fully functional and stable.

A 680mx is normally a gaming card and you will prob get better results from a workstation card like the quadro. I know thats what we had to run when I used Solidworks.

NEW!! Exodist Photography Video Blog
***If someone helps you, please don't forget to use the reputation system.***
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

That doesn't do him any good since the GPU in his iMac is non removable and I'm sure he doesn't want to spend more dollars on another computer. We have had other users complain about poor performance when using the Mac version of Maya. Maya should be run in Windows using a Boot Camp dual boot if possible.
QUOTE Thanks
Exodist

Exodist is just really niceExodist is just really niceExodist is just really niceExodist is just really nice
Mac Specs: L2012 Mini, i7 2.6Ghz, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD, dual 23" LED Displays

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
That doesn't do him any good since the GPU in his iMac is non removable ........
Indeed.. I think when I read that last night my brain seen Mac Pro instead of iMac...LOL oops

Hmm yea that changes things.. lol

NEW!! Exodist Photography Video Blog
***If someone helps you, please don't forget to use the reputation system.***
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« InDesign: Missing Fonts + Pixelated Images | Sigma 17-70mm Contemporary Lens (Review) »