New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Images, Graphic Design, and Digital Photography Discussion of all things graphics.

Sub-$200 128GB CompactFlash Memory Cards

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

As Seen on TV

As Seen on TV is on a distinguished road

Has anyone used the following 128GB CompactFlash Memory Cards from RiData/RiTek? My sole experience with this brand is with their blank CDs and DVDs.

I learned about these really "low" cost memory cards from another forum when I asked about 128GB CF cards selling for under $200.

On the forum I was linked to this site RiDATA | My Digital Discount

Not buying from them as it means import duties charges if I ship em to where I am currently at and I have found the local distributor.

Robgalbraith.com benchmarked the RiData 600x cards performing within a permissible range. I would assume the 1000x, 800x and 400x will be as consistent, hopefully.

Rob Galbraith DPI: Canon EOS 5D Mark III
Rob Galbraith DPI: Canon EOS 5D Mark III

Note:

- Not associated with RiData, RiTek or their resellers
- Just want to get end-user feedback for this sub-$200 128GB CompactFlash memory card from actual owners.
- Yes, I know the maxim of not "putting all your eggs in one basket". Same was said back in 2003 when 128MB (Megabyte) memory cards were $100 and 1GB cards were $1,000.
- Not spamming forums. I just want end-user feedback. There are no reviews on RiData's 400x, 800x or 1000x lines of CompactFlash memory cards.
QUOTE Thanks
Exodist

Exodist is a jewel in the roughExodist is a jewel in the roughExodist is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: L2012 Mini, i7 2.6Ghz, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD, dual 23" LED Displays

I haven't used them. I pretty much stick to SanDisk or Samsung memory cards. I got most recently the Samsung 64GB for 69 bucks. It transfers data at 80 MB/s, isn't the fastest, but its water proof and magnet proof and has like a 10 year or so warranty..

Memory card market is a hard one for companies trying to sell to photographers, its just when you spend over 5000 dollars on gear just to skimp out on a cheap card is just asinine. SanDisk has managed to get themselves at the top of the market due to their reliability and reasonable pricing. But mostly their reliability.

NEW!! Exodist Photography Video Blog
***If someone helps you, please don't forget to use the reputation system.***
QUOTE Thanks
As Seen on TV

That is something to think about. Thank you for your time to reply.
QUOTE Thanks
Exodist

Exodist is a jewel in the roughExodist is a jewel in the roughExodist is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: L2012 Mini, i7 2.6Ghz, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD, dual 23" LED Displays

Quote:
Originally Posted by As Seen on TV View Post
That is something to think about. Thank you for your time to reply.
I have seen RiData branded products on Newegg. Often they are labeled as a cheap generic product and often given low user reviews. Although never seen a review on their flash memory. But like I said, if your pictures are important to you. Then stick with what is tested and proven.

QUOTE Thanks
As Seen on TV

Checking on newegg now. Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

I agree with Exodist.

1) If you aren't going to come close to filling it you don't need 128GB
2) 128Gb is a LOT of pictures
3) From what I have seen when Flash Memory fails it is often sudden and unrecoverable

Bottomline: even if it only doubles a slight risk that I will lose my pics, saving $50 isn't worth it to me.

I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .
QUOTE Thanks
Exodist

I would also like to point out, you don't always need supper fast SD cards. Normal photography and even time lapse photography are perfectly at home on standard low speed SD cards. Which btw are very affordable. The only time you need a extreme high speed card is for 720p @ 60FPS or 1080p video, and of course sports and wild wildlife photography. So if you just shoot portraits of people, landscapes and even some wildlife. A standard 32GB SanDisk card will work wonderfully and is only about $20 US Dollars.. Besides nothing is stopping you from buying multiple cards :-)

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iPhoto Crashed | there is an App for this, but I can't find it. »