New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Images, Graphic Design, and Digital Photography Discussion of all things graphics.

Camera Choice

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

nickyr

nickyr is a jewel in the roughnickyr is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: late 2012 IMac 27", mid 2010 Macbook, OSX 10.9.5, iPhone 5, iPad 3, iOS 8, Apple TV 3, iPod Classic

A while back on this forum I got into a conversation with Bob Mielke about his Nikon D800.

I really wanted to go full frame but realised that my photography at the time didn't warrant it (and probably wasn't up to it either!).

A couple of weeks ago I got a Tamron 24-70 FX lens which I have been using on my D90. I now want to explore what full frame can do (I mostly shoot landscapes) and am lucky enough to be able to afford either a new D600 or a pre owned D700.

Has anyone on here got experience of both (or either) and could give an honest review?

I've read about the dust problems on the D600 and could (just) stretch to the D610. But build quality will be paramount as this will probably be the last camera I buy for many years, and tales of legendary D700 quality are pulling me in that direction.

what have the Roman's ever done for us?

QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

No experience with any of them.

I had talked myself into going with the D610 as my next camera, but realized the D7100 was a better fit for me (haven't bought it yet though).

Having said all of that, if I were going full frame and looking for my "last camera" I would go for a refurbished or new D800, even if it meant saving a bit longer.

I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .
QUOTE Thanks
alicepattinson

alicepattinson can only hope to improve

Nick, i'm not a cam pro as well but I saw this review: Nikon D600 Review by Thom Hogan

I know it will help you a lot since the author compared D600, D700 and other Nikon Dslr versions
QUOTE Thanks
Exodist

Exodist is a jewel in the roughExodist is a jewel in the roughExodist is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: L2012 Mini, i7 2.6Ghz, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD, dual 23" LED Displays

If your like me and like videos instead of a bunch of reading

Digital Rev videos

Nikon D600 vs D7100 - Which One Should You Buy? - YouTube
or
Nikon D800 vs D4 - Which One Is Right For You? - YouTube

NEW!! Exodist Photography Video Blog
***If someone helps you, please don't forget to use the reputation system.***
QUOTE Thanks
nickyr

Mac Specs: late 2012 IMac 27", mid 2010 Macbook, OSX 10.9.5, iPhone 5, iPad 3, iOS 8, Apple TV 3, iPod Classic

thanks everyone

D7100 - that's got to be on the list now. Not FF I know but having seen the video review and then reading about it, it looks like one heck of a camera. And affordable straight away.

QUOTE Thanks
Exodist

Exodist is a jewel in the roughExodist is a jewel in the roughExodist is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: L2012 Mini, i7 2.6Ghz, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD, dual 23" LED Displays

Think you will be happy with the 7100. If I didn't have so much invested in Canon glass (lens) I would go with the 7100.

QUOTE Thanks
techiesteve

techiesteve is a glorious beacon of lighttechiesteve is a glorious beacon of lighttechiesteve is a glorious beacon of lighttechiesteve is a glorious beacon of lighttechiesteve is a glorious beacon of lighttechiesteve is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15" 2.8 GHz, MacBook 2.16 GHz, iPhone 5

After considerable research I bought a D7100 and 16 - 85 zoom last week. I am very pleased with both. Unless you shoot at really high iso's and intend to print exhibition prints to A3 or bigger, you don't need full frame. Take a good look at the D7100, and try to handle one before making a choice, everything is naturally accessible.

Steve Bell
UK
QUOTE Thanks
Exodist

Quote:
Originally Posted by techiesteve View Post
After considerable research I bought a D7100 and 16 - 85 zoom last week. I am very pleased with both. Unless you shoot at really high iso's and intend to print exhibition prints to A3 or bigger, you don't need full frame. Take a good look at the D7100, and try to handle one before making a choice, everything is naturally accessible.
Indeed. Even at 18MP of my T3i. I get 5184 x 3456 resolution images, thats almost enough to cover 3 HD monitors (5760px wide). Can only imagine what 24 gets ya..

A friend of mine once told me that cameras come and go, your real investment and where your image quality comes from is your lens.

I am going for the Canon 70D. Not just because of the 20.2 MP sensor, but two other really big reasons. One is the superb autofocus over my current T3i, but also the fact that it has weather sealing. Really want something that doesn't make me run from water like some old hag with a bunch of flying monkeys.

QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exodist View Post
. . . I am going for the Canon 70D. Not just because of the 20.2 MP sensor, but two other really big reasons. One is the superb autofocus over my current T3i, but also the fact that it has weather sealing. Really want something that doesn't make me run from water like some old hag with a bunch of flying monkeys.
But . . . having a bunch of flying monkeys would be very handy. They could carry your gear, and even hover overhead to shield you from the rain.

EDIT: Of course, then you'ld need something to shield you from monkey droppings!

I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .
QUOTE Thanks
nickyr

[QUOTE=Exodist;1553138]

A friend of mine once told me that cameras come and go, your real investment and where your image quality comes from is your lens.

I have 3 Tamron lenses (sold my Nikon 35mm and 18-105mm lenses to put towards my new kit):

10-24 (which is suitable for DX only and apart from at wide open is excellent)
24-70 (which is excellent)
and 70-300 (which is very good)

If I go FF I could probably do without a wide angle lens - the 24mm would cover most of what I shoot, but if I go DX then I'm covering all focal lengths.

Think I'll go to my local camera shop tomorrow and try out the D7100 - looks like it will do what I want and with the crop sensor will give me more flexibility at longer focal lengths.

I could then keep my D90 as a second camera.

QUOTE Thanks
Exodist

LOL @ RavingMac

Looks like Amazon should love me.. Took advantage of Black Friday deals.. Got me a 70D for 997USD and then the Sigma 18-250 DC OS HSM Macro (new model) lens, plus a battery grip and pair of batteries for Christmas. Sadly they are being shipped to the states and will have to have a friend bring them out here in Feb..

QUOTE Thanks
nickyr

just bought this

looks like new, 11660 actuations, 1000

i'm very happy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0813.jpg (604.1 KB, 30 views)

QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

Congrats!
The D700 is still an outstanding camera.

QUOTE Thanks
Exodist

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavingMac View Post
Congrats!
The D700 is still an outstanding camera.
Agreed.. Make sure to post some images with it once the weather gets better.

QUOTE Thanks
Kayla_Harris

Kayla_Harris is on a distinguished road

I would choose the Nikon D800.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Adobe Photoshop Elements 11 editor | Upload photos to Facebook »