New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Images, Graphic Design, and Digital Photography Discussion of all things graphics.

Graphic software for Macs

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

CPulsar

CPulsar is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 27" i5 iMac with 8GB RAM 1TB HDD and 32GB iPad 3 WiFi

Does anyone know if there are any free graphics programs for Macs besides Gimp? I am used to Photoshop but it won't work on my Mac because it is made for PC. I don't want to install Windows or any software that will allow PC programs to work. I am just looking for something for Macs, thanks.

QUOTE Thanks
lclev

lclev is a jewel in the roughlclev is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MBP 15" Early 2011, i7, 16GB mem, 1TB HD; MB Air 13", Mid 2013, i5, 4GB mem, 250GB HD

I do a lot of graphics work. I am not familiar with free programs. I do use photoshop cs6 and lightroom 5 and both are available for macs.

The Photoshop CS6 for mac is $650 for the standalone version. Adobe is pushing for everyone to subscribe to their CS6 Cloud programs for a $49.99 per month. They are discontinuing standalone versions to increase revenue. I figure I will be with CS6 forever. Not willing to pay the monthly fees. I didn't mind the upgrade fees but I don't like cloud based programs.

Lightroom 5 is around $150 and is an excellent program for photography touching up among other things.. If you are familiar with Photoshop and have never used Lightroom there is a learning curve. Also you there are things you can do in Photoshop you can not do in Lightroom and vice versa. Both are very powerful photo editing programs.

Hope this helps.

Lisa
QUOTE Thanks
CPulsar

I was hoping for something for free but everything free I download is bad. I don't care for Gimp at all the interface is terrible, at least for me. I was hoping not to have to purchase Photoshop again but it is looking that way, lol. Thanks for the reply.

QUOTE Thanks
RadDave

RadDave is just really niceRadDave is just really niceRadDave is just really niceRadDave is just really niceRadDave is just really nice
Mac Specs: MBP 13" (2013); 2.6 GHz i5; 8 GB RAM; SSD 256 GB; OS 10.9.4

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPulsar View Post
I was hoping for something for free but everything free I download is bad. I don't care for Gimp at all the interface is terrible, at least for me. I was hoping not to have to purchase Photoshop again but it is looking that way, lol. Thanks for the reply.
Why not give Pixelmator a try? Not free but inexpensive & a 'free trial' is available - Dave
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

+1 for Pixelmator. The price went up recently from $14.99 but it's still a great buy for $29.99. And as you found out, the GIMP is a difficult program to learn but once you do, it's almost as powerful as Photoshop.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
I was hoping for something for free but everything free I download is bad.
Sometimes you get what you pay for!

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
CPulsar

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadDave View Post
Why not give Pixelmator a try? Not free but inexpensive & a 'free trial' is available - Dave
This is a lot better, thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
+1 for Pixelmator. The price went up recently from $14.99 but it's still a great buy for $29.99. And as you found out, the GIMP is a difficult program to learn but once you do, it's almost as powerful as Photoshop.
Gimp is powerful however I spend all my time trying to figure how to do something and don't get any work done. I will try Pixelmator. I downloaded it and using it now. I still have to learn it but it seems to have a much better interface then Gimp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
Sometimes you get what you pay for!

- Nick
You got that right! lol

QUOTE Thanks
Derek McNelly

Derek McNelly is just really niceDerek McNelly is just really niceDerek McNelly is just really niceDerek McNelly is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15" - 2.3 GHz Quad i7- 8GB RAM - 750GB Hybrid HD - OS X 10.8

I tried weaning myself off of Photoshop years ago, and after about a month, the credit card came out and Adobe got a little chunk of change from me.

I gotta wonder if it's possible to swap licenses for a Mac version?

MacBook Pro 2.3 GHz Quad i7 - 8GB RAM - 750GB HHD - OS X 10.8
MacBook 2.0 GHz Core 2 Duo - 4 GB RAM - 320 GB HDD - OS X 10.6

MoTM February 2009
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Quote:
I gotta wonder if it's possible to swap licenses for a Mac version?
You need to call their customer service and ask. As far as I know, it was possible to do just that as recent as version PSP 5.0. I don't know if they'll still do it considering they've changed their licensing recently.
QUOTE Thanks
CPulsar

My PC version is Photoshop 7.0 so I don't think they will do that, too old.

QUOTE Thanks
RadDave

RadDave is just really niceRadDave is just really niceRadDave is just really niceRadDave is just really niceRadDave is just really nice
Mac Specs: MBP 13" (2013); 2.6 GHz i5; 8 GB RAM; SSD 256 GB; OS 10.9.4

Quote:
This is a lot better, thank you.

Gimp is powerful however I spend all my time trying to figure how to do something and don't get any work done. I will try Pixelmator. I downloaded it and using it now. I still have to learn it but it seems to have a much better interface then Gimp.....
Retired now but I was an academic radiologist, so had to put together a LOT of talks - on my office PCs I used Photoshop for years, but never did become competent (i.e. infrequent use does not lead to familiarity w/ that program - it was irritating!).

Tried GIMP when I had a Linux distro on an old IBM laptop - and I agree not an easy program to become acquainted; however, like Photoshop, 'daily use' is probably needed?

Now after transitioning over to Apple in my retirement, I've been trying Pixelmator and feel that I can get a 'handle' on this one and pretty much is like the other two at least for my limited needs now - bought a Kindle book from Amazon for $10 - short and provides some basics (could be better & mixed reviews but has helped). Good luck - Dave

QUOTE Thanks
Monistee

Monistee is on a distinguished road

Hey all. Didn't read every thread. But i switched to make. Called customer service explained i bought the wrong version. They gave me a download for mac. And serial numbers worked. Hope it works for you!
QUOTE Thanks
Monistee

Monistee is on a distinguished road

Just read photoshop 7. Just get download for 7. And your serial numbers should work! Never know until you try! Good luck!
QUOTE Thanks
robertoblake

robertoblake is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac 6GB Ram 21" and Mac G5 pro

If you get Adobe Photoshop CC Bundle (Creative Cloud) for $9.99/mo or $19.99/mo depending on what deal you get, you get Photoshop CC (latest version) and Photoshop Lightroom 5 and Behance Pro Membership and 20GB of Cloud storage.

Paying monthly rubs some people the wrong way but it's a pretty good deal overall. I currently use the Entire Creative Cloud/Master Collection, but I do a lot of different things.

I saw a new App come out in a magazine that looks like a real contender for Photoshop if I can remember the name or find the article I will post some more information.
QUOTE Thanks
Bob_Stan

Bob_Stan is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac 27" 3.5 Ghz Quad Core i7,SSD,3TB Fusio Fusion,32GB . MBPro 2.2Ghz 128GB SSD, 500GB HD, 8GB

The subscription for the Adobe CS6 Cloud versions allows you to use all programs on two computers, which can be either PC's or Mac's. Also, the programs do download to your local computer so you do not need to be connected to the internet to use them.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Finally ponied up for Photoshop | Family Photo Project Suggestions »