New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Images, Graphic Design, and Digital Photography Discussion of all things graphics.

Graphic software for Macs

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

robertoblake

robertoblake is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac 6GB Ram 21" and Mac G5 pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob_Stan View Post
The subscription for the Adobe CS6 Cloud versions allows you to use all programs on two computers, which can be either PC's or Mac's. Also, the programs do download to your local computer so you do not need to be connected to the internet to use them.
Yeah, that is actually how I use it now. I use it on my iMac Desktop and on my Windows Laptop with no problems.
QUOTE Thanks
cheddar-caveman

cheddar-caveman is on a distinguished road

Just downloaded the trial for Pixelmator and immediately don't like the all black background. I wonder if you can change it? I noticed their webpage is also black and difficult to see. I also cannot see any facility to watermark images? Any users out there?

Last edited by cheddar-caveman; 03-19-2014 at 11:26 AM.
QUOTE Thanks
RadDave

RadDave is a glorious beacon of lightRadDave is a glorious beacon of lightRadDave is a glorious beacon of lightRadDave is a glorious beacon of lightRadDave is a glorious beacon of lightRadDave is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: MBP 13" (2013); 2.6 GHz i5; 8 GB RAM; SSD 256 GB; OS 10.10.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheddar-caveman View Post
Just downloaded the trial for Pixelmator and immediately don't like the all black background. I wonder if you can change it? I noticed their webpage is also black and difficult to see. I also cannot see any facility to watermark images? Any users out there?
Concerning your first point, see pic attached of Pixelmator opened on a second desktop - do you mean the black background on the three windows of the app? I've had no problem especially in the main window where the photo editing is done - maybe just some time w/ the program will help accustom you to the appearance?

As to the 'watermark' question, I've not had a need but was curious - found this one reference HERE on their website - let us know if that helps; hopefully, others who have used watermarks w/ this program will 'chime in' - Dave
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2014-03-19 at 11.55.05 AM.png (361.2 KB, 57 views)
QUOTE Thanks
cheddar-caveman

Many thanks RadDave, most helpful. Yes, the three black boxes and these cannot be changed according to the manufacturer. The editing window is quite small as well don't you find? There's so much wasted space on the desk top, Yes one can enlarge the view but then you lose the other two boxes.
Any way, as I said, I've got the trial package for 30 days so I'll play with it.
QUOTE Thanks
Sawday

Sawday is a jewel in the roughSawday is a jewel in the roughSawday is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 24" Aluminium, 2.8 GHz, 4Gb RAM. iPad2, iPhone4

Photoshop Elements?

Sometimes Amazon has the latest version on mega offer...or eBay. When I upgraded to Elements 11 I actually sold my version 10 on eBay for more than I paid Amazon for version 11. Guess some people don't shop around.

Amazon recently offered version 12 of Elements for £46. Not in any rush to upgrade this time and besides it will be cheaper still in a few months I reckon.

Happiness is not getting what you want, but wanting what you get.
QUOTE Thanks
RadDave

RadDave is a glorious beacon of lightRadDave is a glorious beacon of lightRadDave is a glorious beacon of lightRadDave is a glorious beacon of lightRadDave is a glorious beacon of lightRadDave is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Many thanks RadDave, most helpful. Yes, the three black boxes and these cannot be changed according to the manufacturer. The editing window is quite small as well don't you find? There's so much wasted space on the desk top, Yes one can enlarge the view but then you lose the other two boxes.
Any way, as I said, I've got the trial package for 30 days so I'll play with it.
Hi again! Yes, I agree about the editing window, especially on my 15" MBPro (much better on my 21.5" iMac) - options to enlarge the window as you suggested, using the zooming tools (see my new attached pic w/ the white arrows - zoomed in on the image), and use the 'full screen' mode on the editing window (right upper corner); but worth 'playing with' for a few days - the online tutorials are short and will give you a quicker feel for the app. Dave
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2014-03-19 at 5.54.29 PM.png (480.9 KB, 53 views)
QUOTE Thanks
cheddar-caveman

Oooo, lucky you! I can only just afford one monitor
Yes, thank RadDave, that looks ok. I've got 30 days to play before buy so experiment time! AS a matter of interest, is that a screen shot or photo? Very good whatever.
I'm also running a MacBook Pro 15" Retina (nice bit of kit!).
QUOTE Thanks
Exodist

Exodist is just really niceExodist is just really niceExodist is just really niceExodist is just really nice
Mac Specs: L2012 Mini, i7 2.6Ghz, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD(fusion), dual 23" Samsung LED Displays

Pixelmator a awesome program and is far far better option then PS Elements.. PM also supports FULL 16bit color, while PSE only supports 8bit.. Something to consider. Now, I do hope they offer the option like adobe does to change the application background. The overly black is a tad to dark for many users and is pretty much the only real complaint you here about it from other users. I find it OK, but from a UI point of view its to dark for some of the application tool buttons to be easy to see. Though if it was white I would flip out big time..

GIMP is good, was great at one time. But as much as I love GIMP its falling behind. Hell lets be honest, they fell behind 5 years ago.. There has been no real innovation to GIMP since then. But its free.

Last I would like to piggy back on Chas's post about Adobe CC. They are offering until the end of this month (March 31st, 2014) the Photographers Package for $9.99 plus tax. It includes Adobe Lightroom and Photoshop as well as Behance. Both Lr and Ps are installed on your computer. If you do a yearly subscription you will only be billed monthly, so no huge lump some of money at one time. In addition you can go offline and only required to have a inet connection once every 90 days.. So making travel easy. If you dont do the yearly special offer, you will have to choose monthly service which is about $20 USD and will be required to login once every 30 days.. Its really a good deal, it makes Ps and Lr both cheaper then buying them as before and you automatically get the latest updates/upgrades at no additional cost..

Cheers,
Joe

NEW!! Exodist Photography Video Blog
***If someone helps you, please don't forget to use the reputation system.***
QUOTE Thanks
RadDave

Quote:
Oooo, lucky you! I can only just afford one monitor
Yes, thank RadDave, that looks ok. I've got 30 days to play before buy so experiment time! AS a matter of interest, is that a screen shot or photo? Very good whatever.
I'm also running a MacBook Pro 15" Retina (nice bit of kit!).
A photo brought into Pixelmator of my den bar; the art work is a limited edition linocut done by an aboriginal artist from the Northern Territory, Australia. Dave
QUOTE Thanks
cheddar-caveman

Been using Pixelmator for a week now and getting to like it more and more! I can also use it any (Mac) computer so will now buy and install on both my iMac and MacBook Pro. I've been pestering them with questions and their replies are always very quick and to the point and their tutorials are very good as well. What more could one want for £20!

Very annoying and beware. Pixelmator only works with OS x 10.8.5 and above. Just checked my iMac and it's 10.7.5 so am currently updating to Mavericks!

Last edited by cheddar-caveman; 03-26-2014 at 01:09 PM.
QUOTE Thanks
Unkei

Unkei is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15" 2.6 GHz Quad Core i7 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPulsar View Post
Does anyone know if there are any free graphics programs for Macs besides Gimp? I am used to Photoshop but it won't work on my Mac because it is made for PC. I don't want to install Windows or any software that will allow PC programs to work. I am just looking for something for Macs, thanks.
Hi CPulsar,
GImp really one of the best and has most of the functionality of Photoshop. A good manual for GImp is available online.
If your copy of Photoshop is registered to you, Adobe will give you the version for your Mac. My first copy was given to me, so I ended up having to purchase the stand alone version of CS6. Had my PC version been registered to me, I would have contacted Adobe, and they are most co-operative in making things work for registered users. I still did OK, because Best Buy where we have spent large amounts of money, discounted CS6 to us at less than half price, and I now have a registered copy with all benefits. I just don't do the Creative Cloud deal, because I refuse to pay for new updates which I would probably never use! The downside is....no updates what so ever! We live with our choices!
Unkei

Last edited by Unkei; 06-13-2014 at 01:33 PM. Reason: Additional info added
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Finally ponied up for Photoshop | Family Photo Project Suggestions »