New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Images, Graphic Design, and Digital Photography Discussion of all things graphics.

Replacement for Canvas

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

hasenmaus

hasenmaus is on a distinguished road

I would like to upgrade my OS to something newer than Mac OS 10.6.8. I'd like am to minimize the loss of data files from my older Mac programs that run under 10.6.8. Are there any drawing programs that will read Canvas files? Furthermore are there any drawing programs for the Mac that are as robust as Canvas 10?

I still use Canvas 10 with Mac OS 10.6.8.

Thanks in advace.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS 10.10.1

G'day and welcome to the forums.

Canvas is a PowerPC application and requires Rosetta to run under Snow Leopard OS X.6. Lion and later have culled Rosetta so no PowerPC applications will run at all, including Canvas and Office 2004 etc. the good news is it is rumored Canvas will return next year as an Intel application. Don't think much of the $600 price tag:-

http://tidbits.com/article/13823

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
hasenmaus

hasenmaus is on a distinguished road

G'day mate and thanks for your help. Hopefully Deneba will have mercy on previous Canvas loyalist on the Mac and offer a reasonable upgrade fee.
QUOTE Thanks
J. Scott

J. Scott is on a distinguished road

I found this on the ACD Community forums this morning:

Yesterday, 12:28 PM
Dear Customers,

Today we released Canvas 15 for the PC! Canvas 15 - Technical illustration software, vector graphics, CAD design software, CAD design, GIS, Drafting, Modeling, Architectural drawing, Engineering software

Good news on the Canvas Mac front, we've increased the number of developers working on the Mac version now that Canvas 15 for PC has been released, and while we have Canvas X functioning on Mac, we're busy making sure that all the small stuff is working correctly, and hope to begin a closed public beta in spring of 2014.

If you are interested in having your name added to the beta list, please email customer support at:
https://acdsystems.desk.com/customer...tal/emails/new

I am looking forward to being a Beta tester this spring!

Regards,
The ACD Team
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Photostream without iPhoto/Aperture? | Copying a iPhoto event question »