New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Images, Graphic Design, and Digital Photography Discussion of all things graphics.

Retina display for photo editing

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

PhotoFlyer

PhotoFlyer is on a distinguished road

Looking at the beautiful retina display I'm wondering if it is useful for photo and video editing on a MacBook Pro. What I mean is, will the images look nice on the retina display while editing but bad on a standard display.

I had this problem when I started editing on an iMac. I previously edited on a Dell xps laptop and when an image looked good on that display, it looked incredible on the iMac.

Any thoughts?

T
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

The short answer to your question is yes. The Retina displays are more colour-accurate than most desktop displays, and consequently are extremely good for photo/video editing and colour grading.

Retina Display MacBook Pro for Calibration and Photography | CDTobie's Photo Blog

(bear in mind that this was written in 2012 and so his remarks about Adobe tools not being up to Retina quality no longer apply)
QUOTE Thanks
PhotoFlyer

Thanks Chaz. I've decided to buy one after multiple visits to the apple store. Parting with $3k+ has slowed me down just a bit. I did manage to repair my power cord on my dell xps but its days are numbered

Tip
QUOTE Thanks
arthur30

arthur30 is on a distinguished road

yes retina display will make your images look good but it can also depend on the image format in which you are saving the image usually a png saves in lossless format try using png instead of jpg may be u will see better results.
QUOTE Thanks
PhotoFlyer

I usually save in tiff while I'm editing and deliver jpegs to my clients. I hadn't thought of the png format. The main issue I currently have with my imac is my final edit that looks good to my taste in saturation/exposure looks flat and washed out when I view on my dell xps or PC desktop. When I do the reverse and edit on the laptop, it looks good on the iMac. I guess the solution could be to tell everyone they must go buy a retina display to view my images

Tip
QUOTE Thanks
Exodist

Exodist is just really niceExodist is just really niceExodist is just really niceExodist is just really nice
Mac Specs: L2012 Mini, i7 2.6Ghz, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD, dual 23" LED Displays

@arthur30, most photographers save their images in RAW, but export them to Tiff or Jpeg depending if its for actual photo printing or uploading to the web.

@PhotoFlyer, the iMac displays are (or should be) color, contrast and gamma calibrated. If they look like smack on another computer, chances are really good that their monitor isnt calibrated or just crap monitor.

NEW!! Exodist Photography Video Blog
***If someone helps you, please don't forget to use the reputation system.***
QUOTE Thanks
chappers

chappers is on a distinguished road

I have both an iMac and rMBP. I use them both for photo editing. The iMac and the rMBP are both calibrated and profiled, but what amazed me was how good my rMBP was straight out of the box. The colour gamut is very close to that of sRGB so this may contribute to the quality.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« uploading a picture on facebook | iphoto '11 photo book and callendar »