New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Images, Graphic Design, and Digital Photography Discussion of all things graphics.

What Digital Camera do you have . . . Share your baby with me please !!!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

ybconway

ybconway is on a distinguished road

I had started to travel more and wanted a DSLR. I originally bought a second hand Canon 1D mk 2 which isn't a full sensor but close. It didn't come with a lense so I kept checking out the camera store and picked up a used F2.8 100 mm macro and then a L series 16-40 2.8 zoom. I waited for a while, bit the bullet and picked up a L series F1.4 35mm prime.
As much as I liked the sturdy build of the 1D it really is built for sports photography so just before the last trip I bought a 6d with a 25-100 mm f4 lense.
So now I have this hodge podge of lenses. The 35mm is an incredible lense. The 100 macro is a great portrait lense but seams to fall off shooting at over 15 feet.
I still need to spend time reading the instructions on the 6d but it is way to much fun to use.
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek McNelly View Post
Thats a pretty powerful image you have there Derek. Thanks for sharing

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
infocusinc

infocusinc will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: '11 15.4, 2.2, 8gb MBP - '11 15.4, 2.0, 8gb MBP, 2x4gb Gen1 Nano, 8gb Gen3 Nano,

I got into digital photography way back in the early 90s with a
$10,000 Kodak DCS-200...an 1.4 mp b/w camera.

its been a long journey since then and I settled on Canon a long time ago with first 1Ds, a groundbreaking camera. I've had many but my current Canon lineup includes 2-t3i, 1-t4i, and original 5d, a 5dII and a 1DsIII. I've resisted the 5dII and 1dx since they don't add much to my business needs.

For fun I shoot an Oly OM-D whihc is a really sweet camera.

Actually I would recommend the mirrorless cameras to anyone buying now. I prefer the micro 4/3 offerings by Olympus or Panasonic. Sweet bodies, great and affordable lens selection and the files are very good indeed. And the added plus is small size and weight. I never take anything else when I'm shooting for fun. BTW both Oly and Panny have new bodies that are superb. My OM-D is lasts years news

Craig Lamson - Craig Lamson Photo

www.craiglamson.com
QUOTE Thanks
Exodist

Exodist is a jewel in the roughExodist is a jewel in the roughExodist is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: L2012 Mini, i7 2.6Ghz, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD, dual 23" LED Displays

Quote:
Originally Posted by TattooedMac View Post
I got myself a bloody good filter the other day, to fit the 55-200mm 52 and its a ND Filter with 8steps, ND1-8 all in one and i think its brilliant, and saves having to change them trying to get the correct ND, all i have to do , is turn the dial and i go up or down a ND filter BONUS lol

PS : On that magical Star button on the Canons, i don't think there is one on the Nikons, or i haven't found it yet. But i have been trying Micks way of doing a Full Auto and then changing the settings Manually for myself and I'm learning to Assign all the buttons to do certain things, and i have learnt how to quickly UP the ISO if it looks under exposed and things like that. The more i use it, the better i WILL get.

I do have a Bracketing Button which i do want to learn how to use and get the best out of it. Buttons, buttons, everywhere . . . .
Speaking of ND-X filter. I picked a Meco brand 77mm one up in Hong Kong the other day when I got my wide angle lens. Mine can go from something like ND2 to complete black. Paid out the arsh for that thing.. LOL.. But I got it since i got a good deal on the Lens.. Got my Canon EF 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 Ultra Wide Angle lens. This pretty much completes my toolset as far as main tools. Got a new tripod and few other things ordered but having them sent to my Moms in the USA. Have her send it all sea cargo to me.

Quote:
Let's see, gonna try this from memory:

2x Canon 550D/Rebel T2i w/Grips (Because there's not really been a sensor upgrade in forever and I'm in no rush to upgrade to FF and have to replace my 17-55.)

2x Canon Speedlite 430 EXII

Canon 50mm 1.2L (Perfect for portraits on a crop body)
Canon 17-55mm 2.8

And that's pretty much it. Got some old Chinon screw-mount lenses I like to use for video (135mm 2.8, 55mm 1.7, 35mm 2.0) and portraiture, but for the most part I stick with the Canon lenses. That setup has been enough to get me through quite a few jobs, and really I don't feel the need to upgrade any time soon. Since all I really do is portraiture, I don't really need the professional features higher end bodies offer. Gotten some pretty good results with my setup. This is one of my Grandpa at his 100th birthday, probably the best picture I have of him.
Got a question about the battery grip. I bought one the other day also.. Basicly for the grip on the side and extra battery life. The sales guy kept saying it would make my photo speeds faster? Is this true or just mumbo jumbo..

Yea I am using the T3i until I make enough from my photography to buy a better camera, but the new 70D is the first AP-C sized sensor cam to be a real update. The T5i is a waste IMHO. Actually the 70D less the weather sealing should have been the T5i... 7D perhaps, but not really. 5D Mark III is way nice. But rather stick with the smaller sensor for Zoom reasons.

NEW!! Exodist Photography Video Blog
***If someone helps you, please don't forget to use the reputation system.***
QUOTE Thanks
Exodist

Exodist is a jewel in the roughExodist is a jewel in the roughExodist is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: L2012 Mini, i7 2.6Ghz, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD, dual 23" LED Displays

Here we go. Took these on my iPod so pleas excuse the poor quality.. LOL
On the cam and the batter grip you can see the * star. It a meter to give you a bad idea of what the camera thinks your setting should be.. LOL..

Enjoy the pics..

QUOTE Thanks
nickyr

nickyr is a jewel in the roughnickyr is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: late 2012 IMac 27", mid 2010 Macbook, OSX 10.9.4, iPhone 5, iPad 3, iOS 7, Apple TV 3, iPod Classic

A bit OT but just today I bought a Tamron 24-70 f2.8 lens. I'll have a go later and post some pics up.

what have the Roman's ever done for us?

QUOTE Thanks
Exodist

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickyr View Post
A bit OT but just today I bought a Tamron 24-70 f2.8 lens. I'll have a go later and post some pics up.
The Tamron 24-70mm and 70-300mm are supposed to be a great pair to have. Interested on seeing how they perform. My Canon EF 28-135mm USM lens was purchased by my wife before I stepped into photography. Pic quality is good, build quality is shameful. My 75-300mm is a older lens that doesn't even have Image Stabilizing at its build quality is twice as good. So eventually I am looking to replace that lens with something of better quality. Canons L lens are superb build quality and have weather sealing. But not sure they are worth an extra thousand bucks per lens.

QUOTE Thanks
Derek McNelly

Derek McNelly is just really niceDerek McNelly is just really niceDerek McNelly is just really niceDerek McNelly is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15" - 2.3 GHz Quad i7- 8GB RAM - 750GB Hybrid HD - OS X 10.8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exodist View Post
Got a question about the battery grip. I bought one the other day also.. Basicly for the grip on the side and extra battery life. The sales guy kept saying it would make my photo speeds faster? Is this true or just mumbo jumbo..

Yea I am using the T3i until I make enough from my photography to buy a better camera, but the new 70D is the first AP-C sized sensor cam to be a real update. The T5i is a waste IMHO. Actually the 70D less the weather sealing should have been the T5i... 7D perhaps, but not really. 5D Mark III is way nice. But rather stick with the smaller sensor for Zoom reasons.
I haven't noticed a difference in speeds. A faster card is gonna help that more than anything. I've got a pretty fast SanDisk card I use most of the time, and my buffer doesn't dip below 6 in RAW unless I'm shooting a hockey game.

MacBook Pro 2.3 GHz Quad i7 - 8GB RAM - 750GB HHD - OS X 10.8
MacBook 2.0 GHz Core 2 Duo - 4 GB RAM - 320 GB HDD - OS X 10.6

MoTM February 2009
QUOTE Thanks
Exodist

Quote:
I haven't noticed a difference in speeds. A faster card is gonna help that more than anything. I've got a pretty fast SanDisk card I use most of the time, and my buffer doesn't dip below 6 in RAW unless I'm shooting a hockey game.
Thanks Derek.

I looked into this rumor this morning. Turns out that its more to do with Nikon then Canon. Canon's will only use one of the two batteries in the battery grip at one time. The catch is with Nikon is that their camera processing is really fast, its just the motors are lacking in speed. That and they will use both batteries to speed up shooting performance by a small amount. But I think you have to do a firmware also. I didn't get into much more detail then its can/could with Nikon but not Canon. Since I am a Canon camera person even back when I only have a point and shoot film camera.

QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

Quote:
Here we go. Took these on my iPod so pleas excuse the poor quality.. LOL
On the cam and the batter grip you can see the * star. It a meter to give you a bad idea of what the camera thinks your setting should be.. LOL..

Enjoy the pics..
Quite a collection there, and no, i don't have a special little Star button on the Nikon Looks like i will have to learn the hard way Woohoo !!!!

@infocusinc If you came from the other thread, as i was saying, i have the Eye-Fi Pro X2 16GB and that takes in my .jpgs and the other card takes the NEF files.
I found a App called ShutterSnitch, that is compatible with Eye-Fi, Transcend Wi-Fi, Toshiba FlashAir, and PQI Air cards.
Canon WFT transmitters and EOS 6D / 70D.
Nikon WT and WU transmitters.
Panasonic cameras that work with their LUMIX LINK app.
GoPro HERO3 and because the Eye-Fi makes its own WiFi Network, it transfers the .jpegs into a Collection within second, and from there i can look at the image on a 7.9" screen instead of a 3" Screen and make the appropriate corrections there and then.
I love how ShutterSnitch has so many options, to Upload straight to SmugMug, Dropbox are just a few. You can even use Bonjour to send from iPad Mini to iPhone running the same App.
Then when i get home, the Mac App for it, see's that we are home and Automatically grabs them from the iPad Mini, and is essentially a Backup, and from there with a Applescript or Automator Workflow you can then grab them from there and upload them to Aperture or LR or whatever. . . . Im not a Pro, but thats how my workflow works anyway.

ShutterSnitch is just so much better than the Eye-Fi App, and on sale for $10.49 but usually $20.99, but i had to set my Eyefi card up again to meet the SS requirements, but it works for me.

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
techiesteve

techiesteve is a glorious beacon of lighttechiesteve is a glorious beacon of lighttechiesteve is a glorious beacon of lighttechiesteve is a glorious beacon of lighttechiesteve is a glorious beacon of lighttechiesteve is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15" 2.8 GHz, MacBook 2.16 GHz, iPhone 5

Photography has been a hobby since my school days, and I still have a few older camera's such as my Toyo 45a 4x5 with 5 lenses and Mamiya C220 with 3 lenses.

I'm still using my first digital camera, a Sony DSC-R1 from 2005, details here Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Review: Digital Photography Review. It's been an excellent camera for my type of photography if you realise its limitations and work around them. Most of my photo's on Flickr were taken on this camera Flickr: stevebell's Photostream.

I've been considering upgrading for the last few years, not being tied to a previous systems lenses gives me plenty of choice. I'm just ordering a Nikon D7100 body and Nikon DX 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Zoom. This will give me a similar focal length range I've been used to with the R1, plus uses the same filter sizes, so nothing wasted. Next year I'll probably add the Nikon 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G IF-ED. I don't need fast lenses as I use a tripod for most of my shots.

Steve Bell
Aylesbury, UK
QUOTE Thanks
Exodist

@TattooedMac, Thank man. They are not L lens, but they are a start.

@techiesteve, the D7100 should be a great cam. From the reviews I have read and watched on YouTube. The Nikon D7100 is a better value and better performer then the newest Canon 70D. But IMHO its very hard to get a true comparison as the lens are not interchangeable. But the 7100 did end up with little sharper pics at higher ISOs. But I doubt most folks would notice anyway.

I only have one fast lens, its the EF 85mm f/1.8. Its my portrait lens. Makes nice background bukeh. Matter of fact I only own one lens with Image Stabilizer and its one I use the least. I got a aluminum tripod now I been using, its ok. Its light, its just the moving parts are crapy plastic and if you tighten or loosen the adjustments, its either to tight or flopping around. I ordered me a new one off amazon. DOLICA brand that is aluminum and has a ball head, but having it sent to my Moms in the US for her to ship out here via sea cargo. So I want know truly if its much better. Hope it is.. Not sure about ball heads.

Talking about WiFi, the 70D has built in WiFi. So I can control the camera via my iPod touch and also upload pics with the iPod or even my iPad. And of course can link it on my home network and upload my pics without having to plug any cables up or take SD cards out.

QUOTE Thanks
infocusinc

Mac Specs: '11 15.4, 2.2, 8gb MBP - '11 15.4, 2.0, 8gb MBP, 2x4gb Gen1 Nano, 8gb Gen3 Nano,

Quote:
Originally Posted by TattooedMac View Post
Quite a collection there, and no, i don't have a special little Star button on the Nikon Looks like i will have to learn the hard way Woohoo !!!!

@infocusinc If you came from the other thread, as i was saying, i have the Eye-Fi Pro X2 16GB and that takes in my .jpgs and the other card takes the NEF files.
I found a App called ShutterSnitch, that is compatible with Eye-Fi, Transcend Wi-Fi, Toshiba FlashAir, and PQI Air cards.
Canon WFT transmitters and EOS 6D / 70D.
Nikon WT and WU transmitters.
Panasonic cameras that work with their LUMIX LINK app.
GoPro HERO3 and because the Eye-Fi makes its own WiFi Network, it transfers the .jpegs into a Collection within second, and from there i can look at the image on a 7.9" screen instead of a 3" Screen and make the appropriate corrections there and then.
I love how ShutterSnitch has so many options, to Upload straight to SmugMug, Dropbox are just a few. You can even use Bonjour to send from iPad Mini to iPhone running the same App.
Then when i get home, the Mac App for it, see's that we are home and Automatically grabs them from the iPad Mini, and is essentially a Backup, and from there with a Applescript or Automator Workflow you can then grab them from there and upload them to Aperture or LR or whatever. . . . Im not a Pro, but thats how my workflow works anyway.

ShutterSnitch is just so much better than the Eye-Fi App, and on sale for $10.49 but usually $20.99, but i had to set my Eyefi card up again to meet the SS requirements, but it works for me.
I tried the eyefi some time ago but I shoot raw and it was not really what I needed for my work. I shoot tethered to a computer and i want the client and or just me and my stylist to see images as we shoot so we can make changes etc. I also nee to control the camera remotely since I make many exposures at different setting and lighting setups of the same scene and then assemble them in photoshop. The camera can't move or the shot is spoiled. So I connect the camera to the laptop with a 30' usb cable.

For software I use Phase 1, Capture One Pro. Its the camera control and raw processing application. There are other combinations to choose form but I prefer this solution. They also make a remote connection/viewing app for the ipad and that's what I use. I also take along a Airport Express (i like the older one with the folding plug) to create a really solid wifi connection. Works way better than an adhoc connection.

My needs are really specific and likey won't be useful to most,

But just for the heck of it, here is a gif showing how I build some of my images from "parts and pieces" because it allows me to light far better than I could with a single shot. And you can see why its a huge problem if the camera moves even 1 pixel...
These are the layers from Photoshop converted to a gif so you can see the image build.

http://www.craiglamson.com/rvbuild.gif

just for fun, my still film cameras from when I still shot film....and i really miss it sometimes.

www.craiglamson.com
QUOTE Thanks
Exodist

@ Craig, quiet a small investment you got going on there.

QUOTE Thanks
infocusinc

Quote:
@ Craig, quiet a small investment you got going on there.
Its all gone. Sold it off. Everything is digital now...

www.craiglamson.com
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Scanning documents? | Recover images from Aperture 3? »