New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Images, Graphic Design, and Digital Photography Discussion of all things graphics.

What Digital Camera do you have . . . Share your baby with me please !!!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Exodist

Exodist is just really niceExodist is just really niceExodist is just really niceExodist is just really nice
Mac Specs: L2012 Mini, i7 2.6Ghz, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD, dual 23" LED Displays

These are all Lr5, took on my 600D. No other software used. Always shot in RAW. I prob only took about 10mins on all 4 of these.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg JoeJacksonPhotography-_MG_0100-1-2.jpg (154.7 KB, 76 views)
File Type: jpg JoeJacksonPhotography-_MG_0100-1.jpg (190.4 KB, 80 views)
File Type: jpg JoeJacksonPhotography-_MG_0197-1.jpg (308.1 KB, 80 views)
File Type: jpg JoeJacksonPhotography-_MG_0229-1.jpg (492.8 KB, 80 views)

NEW!! Exodist Photography Video Blog
***If someone helps you, please don't forget to use the reputation system.***
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavingMac View Post
50mm f1.8 Nikon is a good lens and really great value, but what happened to shooting for a while before investing in a lot of lenses?

Though, I have to admit you haven't spent a lot doing it. . . . ..
HEHE Weelllll . . . . . You know how it is. I was sitting here and thought, 1 Lens ?? What can i really learn with just one Lens. Everything that i needed to learn i could, but if i really want to be a self taught Photographer, then i needed to have different Lenses to try out different things, and to see what other Lenses do, and dont do.
I was looking around, and i needed a couple of other things from eGlobal, and i started to look at the different Lenses, and then reviews on them, and then looked at the exact Lens in the Aussie Stores, and i couldnt believe my eyes. They were both $250+ here in Aust and the 50mm f1.8D was $64 and the 55-200mm was $93 and the Kenko 2x was $147 and about $280 here in Aust so how could i really and honestly not get them at that price

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exodist View Post
You should give Lightroom 5 a try. You can download the 30 day trial. To be very honest, if I find a better program then photoshop to stitch panoramas together. I will no longer need PS. Lr5 gives you the best best tools and you can do so much with it now. If you want I can post some recent photos I did since moving to Lr5 that use only Lr5 toolsets.

Before I do, I noticed there was some talk about lens angles on of the pics that looks like a college campus posted above. Lr has a huge database of lens profiles that can eliminate distortion and chromatic aberration on the worst lens.
I have invested over $200 in Aperture with the NIK Plugins, but i have downloaded LR tonight and will have a look tomorrow at it. I have the full Adobe Creative Cloud Suite that i won through Adobe for a 3mth Membership, but currently, its going into the 4th month, so i have the latest and greatest from them, all hooked up to Behance and Kuler, so im set on that side of things.

I really want to stay with Aperture, and im Reall, Really hoping that on the 22nd they will with Mavericks, tell us that there will be a Aperture 4 coming out in the very near future, as on Jan 2014 it will be a 4 yr old piece of Code, and i must admit, it is looking old, but i love the UI and its easy to navigate and do things.
Dont get me wrong, i'm open to looking and trying, but Aperture works well with ALL my Apple stuff, Photo Stream, iPad Mini and iPhone, and with Plex, i can get my Aperture Library on my iPad Mini too. There are also a lot of the same Plugins as LR so it does really come down to choice and ease of use and what it can do. Im really liking the Photomatix Pro.app though, Kudos and thanks for that.

Quote:
These are all Lr5, took on my 600D. No other software used. Always shot in RAW. I prob only took about 10mins on all 4 of these.
Ohhhhh so very cutie that one. Gorgeous image and overall it shoots a nice photo. Im shooting in RAW (NEF) as well as jpeg having the 2 card slots, but im finding im not really using the jpegs, so i might just go through them, and choose the ones i like and throw them in iPhoto, because i have kept my iPhoto Library out of Aperture altogether and will continue to do so. iPhoto will be only for my iPad Mini and iPhone images . . .
So its getting beddie bys here, and i've dribbled enough, but ill posyt a couple of test images (night shooting) tomorrow

TM

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
John F

John F will become famous soon enough

Here's an off the wall suggestion. I have had had Pentax since film days with screw mount
lenses. I have good lenses that go back 25 years. I currently have a Pentax K7 body but
since I travel to Europe frequently and for several months at a time, I was looking for something
that would be lighter and more compact but still give good quality and hopefully take Pentax lenses.
While looking, I came across a Pentax K-01. I already knew about the K-01. It was Pentax's
answer to the New Coca Cola - great idea but everybody hated it and it has now been withdrawn
from the North American market. For that reason it was heavily discounted. Knowing that the works
inside is close to the flagship K5 but at about a third the price, I gave it a try. Everything that is
said about it is true. It has many annoying features but it takes beautiful pictures. Without the
intention to do so, it has become my primary camera, but the K3 is coming out in November and
I will be seriously thinking about one of those in the new year.

fall tree 2013-10-14 14.12.50 M Forum.jpg
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

Quote:
Originally Posted by TattooedMac View Post
HEHE Weelllll . . . . . You know how it is. I was sitting here and thought, 1 Lens ?? What can i really learn with just one Lens. Everything that i needed to learn i could, but if i really want to be a self taught Photographer, then i needed to have different Lenses to try out different things, and to see what other Lenses do, and dont do.
I was looking around, and i needed a couple of other things from eGlobal, and i started to look at the different Lenses, and then reviews on them, and then looked at the exact Lens in the Aussie Stores, and i couldnt believe my eyes. They were both $250+ here in Aust and the 50mm f1.8D was $64 and the 55-200mm was $93 and the Kenko 2x was $147 and about $280 here in Aust so how could i really and honestly not get them at that price

TM
How not indeed!

Have fun with your acquisitions. The 55-200 is optically quite good for a kit lens, though AF can be a bit slow. I still use mine from time to time on my Nikon V2.

I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

Quote:
How not indeed!

Have fun with your acquisitions. The 55-200 is optically quite good for a kit lens, though AF can be a bit slow. I still use mine from time to time on my Nikon V2.
Thanks mate, i will.
I nearly, nearly bought another Lens when i went to the City yesterday. Had to wait for Sister to meet me, and went into Camera House and in the shiny glass cabinet they had a D7100 sitting there looking amazing, with this Sigma 70mm F2.8 EX DG Macro for around 4 Benjamin Franklins but i then thought of my lovely Fiancé at home and walked away and bought a $17 Magazine that i can get in Digital Format for $5.65 BUT i did want a hard copy of this one to keep, so all was not lost

Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

Very nice!

I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .
QUOTE Thanks
SailingCyclops

SailingCyclops is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Many Macs -Primary- Late 2012 iMac 27" 32 GB Memory 3.4GHz Core i7 750GB SSD Nvidia GeForce

The best camera is the one you happen to have with you when that priceless scene presents itself.

After years of analog photography, I bought a Sony DSC Rx-100. It's in my pocket all the time, so it is the camera which gets the best and only shots.

Cheers!

"They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security" - Benjamin Franklin
QUOTE Thanks
Exodist

Exodist is just really niceExodist is just really niceExodist is just really niceExodist is just really nice
Mac Specs: L2012 Mini, i7 2.6Ghz, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD, dual 23" LED Displays

Nice shot of the Shelby's TattooedMac

QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

Quote:
Nice shot of the Shelby's TattooedMac
Thanks mate. Im going to the big smoke tonight, to pick up my Step Daughter from a Adventure on a Tall Ship she has been on, so i will be posting some shots of the Tall Ship on the weekend. I haven't learnt enough yet, to go full Manual, so I'm going to use Auto for these so they DO come out right, then ill touch them up in NIK and see what i have

Watch this space.

QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

Quote:
Thanks mate. Im going to the big smoke tonight, to pick up my Step Daughter from a Adventure on a Tall Ship she has been on, so i will be posting some shots of the Tall Ship on the weekend. I haven't learnt enough yet, to go full Manual, so I'm going to use Auto for these so they DO come out right, then ill touch them up in NIK and see what i have

Watch this space.
Quick and dirty way to shoot Manual is to shoot 1st shot in Aperture priority to get a baseline shutter speed, then switch to manual and have fun.

QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

Quote:
Quick and dirty way to shoot Manual is to shoot 1st shot in Aperture priority to get a baseline shutter speed, then switch to manual and have fun.
Now we are thinking, thats a awesome tip, and explains a heck of a lot. Never thought of doing that, but now i have my 55-200mm and the Kenko 2x (i took shots yesterday with focal length at 400mm) and the shot came out really nice and clean, with the Hood on, no vignetting, i was impressed, so ill get the Tall Ship Ways out in the Bay before she comes in close.

Thanks for that Mike, I'm just really not thinking as a photographer at the moment, as I'm reading too many books, web pages and I'm getting confused because everyone has a different take on absolutely everything.

QUOTE Thanks
Exodist

Quote:
Now we are thinking, thats a awesome tip, and explains a heck of a lot. Never thought of doing that, but now i have my 55-200mm and the Kenko 2x (i took shots yesterday with focal length at 400mm) and the shot came out really nice and clean, with the Hood on, no vignetting, i was impressed, so ill get the Tall Ship Ways out in the Bay before she comes in close.

Thanks for that Mike, I'm just really not thinking as a photographer at the moment, as I'm reading too many books, web pages and I'm getting confused because everyone has a different take on absolutely everything.
Not sure if Nikon has the option, but pretty sure they may. On my Canon, it has a little button with a star that will suggest settings to you even on Manual mode to help get the exposer your looking for. So if I stick it over in manual mode which I often do with not in Av mode. I lock my ISO in at 100 or 200. Mostly 100, then set the Av I need. f1.8 for great bukeh, or f22 for landscapes. Though sometimes you have to adjust based on your lighting situation. Then I can punch that star button and it will show were my exposer is it, to high or to low. I can then adjust my Tv down or up to get the proper exposer. Which can mean even using a tripod toward the evenings. But sometimes I like to use ND filters, set the Tv to about 10sec and adjust my Av somewhere between f11 and 22 to get a good exposer. This will give you that rich foamy water look on waterscapes. Cameras are so much fun.

Don't use Tv mode on this T3i (550D?), mainly due to lack of constant shooting speed being slow and not really constant. I get in a good 8 shots or so then have to wait what seems to be a bloody hell of a long time for the camera to save them to the card. Plus its slow AF is crap. Its good Cam for Landscapes and Portraits. But if the camera brakes today I will be at a Canon dealership to get the new 70D in the morning. Its so much nicer..

QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

Quote:
Also dont forget filters. You need UV cover for your lens, not for filtering UV light, but keeping dust and dirt off the lens. IMHO.. Also for daylight shooting a polarizing filter can often be better then a lens hood. For pics you want long exposers, like waterfalls you may need a Neutral Density filter like a ND8.
I got myself a bloody good filter the other day, to fit the 55-200mm 52 and its a ND Filter with 8steps, ND1-8 all in one and i think its brilliant, and saves having to change them trying to get the correct ND, all i have to do , is turn the dial and i go up or down a ND filter BONUS lol

PS : On that magical Star button on the Canons, i don't think there is one on the Nikons, or i haven't found it yet. But i have been trying Micks way of doing a Full Auto and then changing the settings Manually for myself and I'm learning to Assign all the buttons to do certain things, and i have learnt how to quickly UP the ISO if it looks under exposed and things like that. The more i use it, the better i WILL get.

I do have a Bracketing Button which i do want to learn how to use and get the best out of it. Buttons, buttons, everywhere . . . .

QUOTE Thanks
Derek McNelly

Derek McNelly is just really niceDerek McNelly is just really niceDerek McNelly is just really niceDerek McNelly is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15" - 2.3 GHz Quad i7- 8GB RAM - 750GB Hybrid HD - OS X 10.8

Let's see, gonna try this from memory:

2x Canon 550D/Rebel T2i w/Grips (Because there's not really been a sensor upgrade in forever and I'm in no rush to upgrade to FF and have to replace my 17-55.)

2x Canon Speedlite 430 EXII

Canon 50mm 1.2L (Perfect for portraits on a crop body)
Canon 17-55mm 2.8

And that's pretty much it. Got some old Chinon screw-mount lenses I like to use for video (135mm 2.8, 55mm 1.7, 35mm 2.0) and portraiture, but for the most part I stick with the Canon lenses. That setup has been enough to get me through quite a few jobs, and really I don't feel the need to upgrade any time soon. Since all I really do is portraiture, I don't really need the professional features higher end bodies offer. Gotten some pretty good results with my setup. This is one of my Grandpa at his 100th birthday, probably the best picture I have of him.

MacBook Pro 2.3 GHz Quad i7 - 8GB RAM - 750GB HHD - OS X 10.8
MacBook 2.0 GHz Core 2 Duo - 4 GB RAM - 320 GB HDD - OS X 10.6

MoTM February 2009
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Scanning documents? | Recover images from Aperture 3? »