New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Images, Graphic Design, and Digital Photography Discussion of all things graphics.

What Digital Camera do you have . . . Share your baby with me please !!!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickyr View Post
Great combinatoin you've got there - should see you through many happy years.

One lens I would recommend is Nikon's 35mm f1.8 - not expensive but a superb lens.
Thanks, i think ill be happy with it. That 35mm i did find one and for a good price too, so i might hit the buy button, now having 2 people confirm its a good lens.

Quote:
Is that you in your avatar? Cool tattoo if it is.
Yea certainly is and thank you. Its one of many i have designed for myself, as i am not a fan of the stick ones from the Tatt Shops, as if they are up there, everyone has them and i like be a individual

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
nickyr

nickyr is a jewel in the roughnickyr is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: late 2012 IMac 27", mid 2010 Macbook, OSX 10.10, iPhone 5, iPad 3, iOS 8, Apple TV 3, iPod Classic

Nice one.

I got the Lion of Flanders done on my upper left back - tattoist had not seen it done before.

I'm not Belgian - just that I used to be a racing cyclist and loved the emblem on the flags seen around Flanders when the big races were on the TV.

what have the Roman's ever done for us?

QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

Quote:
Nice one.

I got the Lion of Flanders done on my upper left back - tattoist had not seen it done before.

I'm not Belgian - just that I used to be a racing cyclist and loved the emblem on the flags seen around Flanders when the big races were on the TV.
I had a feeling what you where talking about, but i just had to google Lion of Flanders and now i know. . . That would look nice, large on your Back

3 more sleeps hahah for me and waiting.

Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

Pics?

Just wondering if your package has arrived . . .

I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

Ah yes, it has arrived mate. Been a couple of busy days here with my son hitting the big 10yrs of age, but it arrived on Friday, then spent the best part of the day, charging the Battery, setting up my Eye-Fi SDHC Class 10 Card so when i took a picture at the Party, people could see them appear on my iPad Mini.

So once that was all done, i went through EVERY setting in the Menu and set them to what i thought they should be for now, and finally about 4pm i actually got to shoot off a couple of rounds, and was just lucky the weather had cleared and Elmo Puppy was in a playful mood so ill post a couple of those shots below.
1st i have to say, this is a AWESOME camera and all thanks to you my good friend. Im happy with the price in the end all for under $900, but im going to a big town tomorrow (I live in a small 4500 person town) and im going to get some accessories for it and a bag.
I looked at the Manfrotto Tripods and Ball heads, and long story short, the Camera shop in Albany has just reduced one that has a lot of cosmetic damage due to a ladder fall and something from the shop assistant changing the front window, so i put a hold on that for me.

Im also stoked because my Brother Inlaw had a big Nikon and use to shoot Quad bike Enduro's and he sold the body, but kept the Lenses thinking he was going to get another Nikon. He got a Canon, , and this thing he said was huge, saying it was no smaller than 400mm but he thinks it is 600mm Telephoto Zoom Lens and if i can get a 2x Adapter im welcome to it ::eye light up:: lol It was from the Non-cpu lens days so its all Manual, but he is digging it out for me, and ill take it down hoping to get a Adapter for it . . . . .

Ive got the Manual and a Field Handbook i bought in the iBooks store so i got som reading to do, as i dont want to use Auto and learn the way it works. Im lucky as i found my good friend Sonia has exact camera and ill post one of her shots below, so she is happy to teach . .
And without further ado . . . . .

QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

Outstanding!

Really glad it's working out well for you.

I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

Here is just a glimpse of my new toy Nikon D7000 w/ 18-105mm AF Lens on a MKC3-P02 1.65mtr Tripod and a Nikon Remote as well

QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

I am really loving this new eShop i found. Yes the only problem is they are a Aussie Frim but based out of Hong Kong, but its only if i need warranty work is when it will get a little harder.
Just been on a spending spree, buying a Kenko PRO 300 AF DGX 2.0X Telephoto Converter, Nikon AF-S DX VR Zoom-Nikkor 55-200mm f4-5.6G IF-ED Lenses and Nikon AF 50mm f1.8D Lenses 2 more 16GB Class 10 SDHC cards, cleaning kit and Lens Pen all for a 1/4 short $500, so im pretty happy. Im going to Perth tomorrow, but a shame that the delivery wont be here until i return , but with a D7000 and the 18-105mm f4/5.6 Af for $1400 . . . . I reckon i could of even gone up to the D7100 and still had money to burn lol

Been out and about testing shutter speeds, ISO, aperture and all auto, all manual and im coming up with some intestesting shots, as test shots. And to knock the shutter speed up to 1/6800th its amazing what can be done with the NIK Software i got as well. Very powerful and very happy.

Just 1 question, to anyone i suppose, is how have you got your File Photo Structure going ?? Im in Aperture and i have a Folder that is labeled 2013, then down to Project Labeled October, down to Album Labeled - As per PhotoShoot . . To me that seems like the best way, and then with key words, i have set up Smart Folders, named (Jazz) Son, (Test), (Birthdays) and the like for easy finding of the Imprtant ones lol ?!?!?

QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

You guys will laugh at my amateurishness, but I recently received a Canon SX50 as a present. Yeah, it's "only" a superzoom, but its the "best in show" for that class of camera and a modest step up from my beloved S3 IS. I take a lot of pictures at odd angles (the photo's not at an odd angle -- I am!) and lots of zoom pics so I needed something with a swiveling VF, a level and great zoom and this is, at least until I'm ready to spend the big bucks on powerful zoom lenses for a DSLR, what I needed. At least it shoots RAW.

Anyway, here's a recent pic I shot with it that I am very pleased with. This small, web-rez pic does it no justice:

IMG_0628.JPG
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas_m View Post
You guys will laugh at my amateurishness, but I recently received a Canon SX50 as a present. Yeah, it's "only" a superzoom, but its the "best in show" for that class of camera and a modest step up from my beloved S3 IS. I take a lot of pictures at odd angles (the photo's not at an odd angle -- I am!) and lots of zoom pics so I needed something with a swiveling VF, a level and great zoom and this is, at least until I'm ready to spend the big bucks on powerful zoom lenses for a DSLR, what I needed. At least it shoots RAW.

Anyway, here's a recent pic I shot with it that I am very pleased with. This small, web-rez pic does it no justice:

Attachment 19603
There is no weird angles in that one mate, unless you where standing weird, and you somehow fluked it lol
I must admit, i do like the difference contrast of the green to that amazing looking building (name ??) and then into the Autumn leaves. Not a bad shot at all. Is a lot better than one of my first with my new toy, as i left the ISO @1000 when this was taken on a sunny day, and other things weren't quite right. But im learning as i have shot 268 images in the last 4/5 days and im doing a mixture of FULL Manual and then Semi-Auto and then Auto . . .
Very nice Chas

QUOTE Thanks
Exodist

Exodist is just really niceExodist is just really niceExodist is just really niceExodist is just really nice
Mac Specs: L2012 Mini, i7 2.6Ghz, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD(fusion), dual 23" Samsung LED Displays

First advice I was given from a professional hollywood photographer and long time friend: Spend more money on the lens then you do your camera. Lens are an investment, the camera is an expense.

That being said I have found a few lens that despite there lower cost are still exceptional.

Current Camera(s):
Canon EOS T3i (600D)
Canon G12. (not a DSLR, but dang close to one and great for the smaller package.)

Lens:
EF 85mm f1.8 IS USM 'Prime' (Fantastic lens for about 500USD, solid build and superb image. My goto portrait lens.)
EF 75-300mm f4-5.6 USM 'Zoom/Macro' (Older lens without image stabilizer, but dont need it. My goto lens for animal, birds, or even macro from a distance. Solid build and excelent image quality).
EF 50mm f1.8 'Prime' (Noisy, cheap, my wife wanted this crap not me. Takes OK pics, but I never use it. 85mm takes better images IMHO.)
EF 28-135mm f3.5-5.6 IS USM 'Std Zoom Kit lens'. (Crapy build, came with the camera as a Kit. That said the image quality is good on our cropped sensor camera, though reviews say its got bad images quality around the edges on a full frame sensor like the 5D.)

Now we are getting this lens in a few weeks:
EFS 10-22mm f3.5-4.5 IS USM 'Super Wide Angle Zoom' (Reviews are good on this one, price is getting on up there. But this is the only Canon made lens made just for APC-C sized sensors (cropped sensors).)

Filters:
UV, Star, ND8 and Polarizers (for most lens)

Software:
Lightroom 5.2
Photoshop CS6
Photomatix Pro 4.2.7

Personal Note:
I have been eyeing the new Canon 70D. Its huge improvement over the 60D and our current 600D. But lens comes first.
Also dont forget filters. You need UV cover for your lens, not for filtering UV light, but keeping dust and dirt off the lens. IMHO.. Also for daylight shooting a polarizing filter can often be better then a lens hood. For pics you want long exposers, like waterfalls you may need a Neutral Density filter like a ND8. One of my favorites for night shoots is a star filter to make all the lights have star rays.. But thats a personal preference. Now also dont forget a quality (portable) tripod. This is a must for clear images in lower light and night shots. Also a must for HDR or good panorama photos.

Now in regards to Brands of Cameras. I like Canons, but traditionally Nikon is better in image quality from time to time. But not always.. But Canons are always better in video quality.

Hope this helps..

EDIT: Just added a image of one of my most recent photos. Enjoy..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg JoeJacksonPhotography-_MG_0149_50_51-HDR-1-SMALL.jpg (608.4 KB, 44 views)

NEW!! Exodist Photography Video Blog
***If someone helps you, please don't forget to use the reputation system.***
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exodist View Post
Filters:
UV, Star, ND8 and Polarizers (for most lens)

Software:
Lightroom 5.2
Photoshop CS6
Photomatix Pro 4.2.7

Personal Note:
I have been eyeing the new Canon 70D. Its huge improvement over the 60D and our current 600D. But lens comes first.
Also dont forget filters. You need UV cover for your lens, not for filtering UV light, but keeping dust and dirt off the lens. IMHO.. Also for daylight shooting a polarizing filter can often be better then a lens hood. For pics you want long exposers, like waterfalls you may need a Neutral Density filter like a ND8. One of my favorites for night shoots is a star filter to make all the lights have star rays.. But thats a personal preference. Now also dont forget a quality (portable) tripod. This is a must for clear images in lower light and night shots. Also a must for HDR or good panorama photos.

Now in regards to Brands of Cameras. I like Canons, but traditionally Nikon is better in image quality from time to time. But not always.. But Canons are always better in video quality.

Hope this helps..

EDIT: Just added a image of one of my most recent photos. Enjoy..
Hi mate. I appreciate the info
Everyone i talk to talks Lens and Filters. I have a Polarising Filter for the 18-105mm but none as yet for those just purchased.I like the idea of the 'Star' giving that effect on the lights, but i do need some for my new Lenses coming. Going to the Big Smoke today so will see whats on offer.
I did my homework and the Lenses i got seem to have good reviews, but i noticed i got a 50mm f1.8 'Prime' which you say is useless on the Canon. Im hoping the reviews where on the Money for the Nikon range.
I have bought a good Manfrotto Tripod, but i might invest on a better Head for it, but im happy with it at the moment. Easy and quick to set up, but really only has to '1' point that it can swivel from, so im hoping i can get a better head and put on it.

Im using Aperture with the NIK Suite w/ Plugin, but i just had a look at the Photomatix Pro 4.2.7 and the examples and looking at your image, (which is amazing btw) i have downloaded the Trial as well as the Aperture Plugin (Upset the Pro doesnt give you the Plugin) and will test some out tonight and see how it goes.

Really nice image

QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

50mm f1.8 Nikon is a good lens and really great value, but what happened to shooting for a while before investing in a lot of lenses?

Though, I have to admit you haven't spent a lot doing it. . . . ..

BTW
@Chas and @Exodist
Nice pics!

QUOTE Thanks
Exodist

Exodist is just really niceExodist is just really niceExodist is just really niceExodist is just really nice
Mac Specs: L2012 Mini, i7 2.6Ghz, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD(fusion), dual 23" Samsung LED Displays

Thanks Tattoo and Ravi,
Not all 50mm are bad. The one for the Canon however is what you would expect from a childs toy. Very very plasticy, including the mounting base is plastic.. That was the first "i dont like this" I noticed. The other is how the lens contrast the light. The 50mm seems darker despite both have a f1.8. Also its not a ultra sonic motor, so it sounds like I got insects chirping in that things when you use auto focus. But this is something my wife wanted for better macro usage and was way under 200USD (which I still think it way to much), Now my 85mm is solid built, only really difference in the Canon Red Ring lens and the 85mm I have is f1.4 and weather sealing.. Plus a pound heavier.. While an argument can be made about f1.4 offering slightly better background blur, one would still have to do a side by side to notice any. And, I dont play in the rain, so weather sealing isn't a priority for me. Now back to the issue on light, its not that a 50mm is bad for portraits. I just dont find it as nearly as good as in image quality and lighting as a 85mm gives. Plus you dont have to be right up in the persons face.

You should give Lightroom 5 a try. You can download the 30 day trial. To be very honest, if I find a better program then photoshop to stitch panoramas together. I will no longer need PS. Lr5 gives you the best best tools and you can do so much with it now. If you want I can post some recent photos I did since moving to Lr5 that use only Lr5 toolsets.

Before I do, I noticed there was some talk about lens angles on of the pics that looks like a college campus posted above. Lr has a huge database of lens profiles that can eliminate distortion and chromatic aberration on the worst lens.

NEW!! Exodist Photography Video Blog
***If someone helps you, please don't forget to use the reputation system.***
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Scanning documents? | Recover images from Aperture 3? »