New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Images, Graphic Design, and Digital Photography Discussion of all things graphics.

What Digital Camera do you have . . . Share your baby with me please !!!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavingMac View Post
The 18-105mm is the standard kit lens that comes on the higher end DX cameras. It's a decent lens and covers a good range for a 'walk around' zoom.

EDIT: Bear with me while I philosophize some on this subject . . . .

I like to buy neat electronic gizmos, gadgets and stuff, and I suspect I'm not a lot different from most of the members on this forum. But, photography is an area where you can spend a LOT for not much gain.

Bottomline: you can't buy experience or skill.

Where I'm coming from is this; take a look at my gear. My main camera body is a D5000 (mid level body now 3 generations and soon to be 4 behind) and several decent 'consumer grade' lenses. Why?
Why don't I have a D7100 or D600, or even D800 and a bunch of top grade lenses? I'm not rich by any means, but it isn't because I couldn't afford them.
The reason I still have and use my current stuff is because my D5000 is still a better camera and my lenses are still better lenses, than I am a photographer.

If one of my pics turns out lacking that special something (and most do) it isn't because my camera and lenses weren't up to the task and they failed. It is most of the time because of me, a failure in technique or creative eye. I can't buy those, but am slowly improving in both. When and if my equipment becomes the main reason for something missing in my photos I will upgrade. Heck, I intend to upgrade anyway, just not in a big hurry.

The point is, the D7000 is a wonderful camera (the Canon alternatives are wonderful as well). It won't let you down. The 18-105mm is a very good entry level lens and quite cheap packaged like this. It will do you wonders while you learn what tools (lenses and bodies, etc) that you really need to suit your shooting and style. Honestly, the D3100 for half as much would suffice to start (but you wouldn't be happy with it, nor would I).
So, the best advice I can give is to go slow and not over buy until you know what you really want and need.

Cheers,
RavingMac
(Mike)

And you never cease to amaze me.
THIS is exactly what i needed to hear, because i AM the type to go out and get that D7100 a Macro, 300mm Zoom, and you name it, and at the end of the day, still wonder why there isnt 1 good shot in the 1000 i have taken.
I have already taken 1 course and im have several others lined up from Udemy.com to do with Photography, but this statement above, has just pulled me back into line and i totally understand where your coming from with this.
I know i can take a good shot, BUT you just booted me in the backside and confirmed its not the camera, its the person behind the camera, SO i will be gentle in what i buy . . .

Its what i needed to hear, and its great philosophy Mike, and very much appreciated and blunt too, which i know thats how it was meant to be

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

What about 18 x 270 mm ?? https://www.becextech.com.au/digital...l#.UkThMBbIdTt

Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

Quote:
Originally Posted by TattooedMac View Post
Ohhhh oops, quick i need to tell your wife i dont know you

But on the other hand, looks like im out of luck with B&H
Ow!
That's a bummer.

I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

Quote:
Originally Posted by TattooedMac View Post
I have the Nikon 18-200 and it is a decent lens. Always a trade off on really wide range zooms vs performance. It's convenient to be able to go from 18 to 270mm without changing lenses, but in order to get that something else has to slip or it gets expensive.

I use my 18-200 as a walk around lens so I can't and won't argue against it, but in general you'll get more pop IMO if you stick with lenses that cover a smaller range. Having said that, I like my 18-200 and it makes good pics.

Haven't tried the 18-270 though.

I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

Quote:
I have the Nikon 18-200 and it is a decent lens. Always a trade off on really wide range zooms vs performance. It's convenient to be able to go from 18 to 270mm without changing lenses, but in order to get that something else has to slip or it gets expensive.

I use my 18-200 as a walk around lens so I can't and won't argue against it, but in general you'll get more pop IMO if you stick with lenses that cover a smaller range. Having said that, I like my 18-200 and it makes good pics.

Haven't tried the 18-270 though.

Ok sweet, and because the Aust Shipping debacle im looking at Nikon D7000 Body Only Digital SLR Cameras :: Nikon :: - eglobal Digital Cameras Online and from your help ill look for a 18 x 105 mm to go with it, to start out, then move on from there. I think $650 for the D7000 is a bloody good price in AUD and ill save a crap load on postage, so i might shopping cart this, and go hunting for a 105mm and ill show you before hand so i know im getting the right one
Thanks again Mike for your up frontness

PS : This shop even gives 24 month Warranty too which is a bonus
PPS : Lense ??

QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

You are very welcome

QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

And with this, under $1000 as a start, i still have enough spare to get myself a Eye-Fi Memory card too. Ever since i have seen these, i have wanted to get one. Good thing is, it is compatible with my Canon Powershot too.
I will get 'other' cards as well. Just a quick question, (im nearly done) what size card ?? Im getting 16GB Eye-Fi but for others, 4x8GB, 2x16GB or 1x32GB ?? I think you know what i mean. Looking at, what 8-10MB a image ??
Yes i know there are many variables, but just the ultimate average on all things here.... Yea ??

QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

I'm still using a 4GB card in my D5000. No problem and have had as many as 350 images before I downloaded.

EDIT: and that is the 18-105 that normally comes as a kit lens for D7000

QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

Quote:
I'm still using a 4GB card in my D5000. No problem and have had as many as 350 images before I downloaded.

EDIT: and that is the 18-105 that normally comes as a kit lens for D7000
Cool Ill be ordering soon as i find a nice bag to go with it My sons Bday in 2 weeks so it will get a good workout then.
Thanks again Mike, but i will be reviving it later to get people lowdown on Lens's and so on, but you have been a wealth of info to get me going

Cheers

QUOTE Thanks
nickyr

nickyr is a jewel in the roughnickyr is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: late 2012 IMac 27", mid 2010 Macbook, OSX 10.9.5, iPhone 5, iPad 3, iOS 8, Apple TV 3, iPod Classic

Quote:
The 18-105mm is the standard kit lens that comes on the higher end DX cameras. It's a decent lens and covers a good range for a 'walk around' zoom.

EDIT: Bear with me while I philosophize some on this subject . . . .

I like to buy neat electronic gizmos, gadgets and stuff, and I suspect I'm not a lot different from most of the members on this forum. But, photography is an area where you can spend a LOT for not much gain.

Bottomline: you can't buy experience or skill.

Where I'm coming from is this; take a look at my gear. My main camera body is a D5000 (mid level body now 3 generations and soon to be 4 behind) and several decent 'consumer grade' lenses. Why?
Why don't I have a D7100 or D600, or even D800 and a bunch of top grade lenses? I'm not rich by any means, but it isn't because I couldn't afford them.
The reason I still have and use my current stuff is because my D5000 is still a better camera and my lenses are still better lenses, than I am a photographer.

If one of my pics turns out lacking that special something (and most do) it isn't because my camera and lenses weren't up to the task and they failed. It is most of the time because of me, a failure in technique or creative eye. I can't buy those, but am slowly improving in both. When and if my equipment becomes the main reason for something missing in my photos I will upgrade. Heck, I intend to upgrade anyway, just not in a big hurry.

The point is, the D7000 is a wonderful camera (the Canon alternatives are wonderful as well). It won't let you down. The 18-105mm is a very good entry level lens and quite cheap packaged like this. It will do you wonders while you learn what tools (lenses and bodies, etc) that you really need to suit your shooting and style. Honestly, the D3100 for half as much would suffice to start (but you wouldn't be happy with it, nor would I).
So, the best advice I can give is to go slow and not over buy until you know what you really want and need.

Cheers,
RavingMac
(Mike)
One more vote for the 18-105 kit lens. I use it on my D90.

Also, completely agree with the above post - I looked at getting a D800 and new lenses some time ago but in the end realised that the investment wouldn't render me a better photographer.

If I were in the market to upgrade now (and I'm not as my D90 is all I need right now) I would definitely buy something used, possibly a D300s or D7000.

what have the Roman's ever done for us?

QUOTE Thanks
GLXMAN

GLXMAN is on a distinguished road

Hi There,
There are really no bad DSLR's now days
Good glass lasts almost forever, cameras come and go, bit like a PC really, soon as you get it out the door, a new model is out already

For the camera body choice, some considerations have to be made,
There are basically 2 choices of bodies, there are others but these 2 will get you started
FX and DX
In general, the FX will produce less noise and give you a "true" wide angle, 14mm is 14mm
Where as the DX body usually produces more noise at higher ISO but has more "reach"
For example, with D7100 or D300s, using a 300mm camera, your sensor, being smaller than the FX sensor, will crop the lens and give you an effective 450mm, (good for wildlife)
The trade off being 14mm is really not 14mm any more but in fact 21mm (focal length X 1.5)
This is for Nikon, Canon is a little different

lastly, if your looking for the best detail for landscape, the Nikon D800 would be my choice,
Trade off is those 36mp images produce huge files so storage is a consideration
....Gary
Me_D700 and a bunch of lenses, D800 in the new year

Taught myself every thing I know and I still know nothing!
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

Thanks ALL for the time given, but i pulled the pin and got the Nikon D7000 with 18x105 mm lens separate and got them all for under $1000, so leaves me a few $ to get 1, maybe 2 other lens's in the coming weeks/months ��

@GLXMAN Mate just wondering if you buy in Australia and if so, what store, online or not do you use for buying ?? Just wondering so i dont have to keep going OS for products if i can get them at home just as cheap ?? Cheers

QUOTE Thanks
GLXMAN

GLXMAN is on a distinguished road

@GLXMAN Mate just wondering if you buy in Australia and if so, what store, online or not do you use for buying ?? Just wondering so i dont have to keep going OS for products if i can get them at home just as cheap ?? Cheers[/QUOTE]

I have a local business, (Adelaide), Photographic Wholesalers who I buy most of my gear from
My friend buys most of his gear on line, and, for the most part, has done OK

You will find quite a few "on line" companies here in Australia but most appear to be OS companies operating out of Australia

2 we use.
Digital Camera Warehouse, and
Discount Digital Photographic's

One thing to consider is "grey market" or not!
"grey market" are camera's that are shipped into Australia from another outlet, not through Nikon Australia
It is still a genuine Nikon but the warranty is not covered here in Australia, you have to send it back overseas, a lot of hassle IMHO
This where you usually see a marked difference in price

My friend has bought quite a lot of gear from DDP as their price has been the best but it appears you make your order, they then order from Singapore and you could be waiting for a month or more, Im guessing Singapore is out of stock sometimes.
Pain, but the price is right

On the other hand, DCW only sell Nikon authorised cameras so the warranty in Australia is all good, the difference being, the price is a little more, their body prices are pretty good but their lenses are quite expensive

Good reliable source for overseas purchases is B&H, most probably the largest supplier in the world, note that you are still technically buying "grey market", the warranty is still good, just a pain if something does go wrong

Something to think about,
There has been quite a lot of camera models with complaints of oil flicking on the sensor, just a nature of the beast I guess and slack QC but it can happen, approximately $200 to clean here in Australia, but under warranty here in Australia, free!
Lastly, Photographic Wholesalers here in Adelaide are quite competitive

DCW is about the right price so if a local business is way over, just buy on line, "grey market" would not be my choice so read the fine print if you go that direction
FWIW,
Im finding Aperture a great program for the price
....Gary

Taught myself every thing I know and I still know nothing!
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

Hey Gary, thanks for the reply, and with the highs and lows of the "grey market". It seems as if i bought into that with this purchase. I went via eGlobal Digital Cameras with a PO Box in Aust but seem to be working out of Hong Kong. While this didnt bother me and still doesnt for this purchase, i will take your advice into count next time.
I did do my homework on them, and Product Review Aust, gave them a 4.7/5 Stars and all the comments where quite good, with reasonable products, (as described), great prices (i got D700 w/ 18-105mm Nikon Lens) and there AAA Postage covering for Gold standard insurance and quick delivery, with a Discount Voucher i found online for a couple $ over 1k, so i think i did really well there. They even rang me yesterday afternoon, to confirm Address and i am who i am, and said it will be dispatched 1st thing Monday Morning Gotta be happy with that service.

Now the deal with B&H ?? What can we buy from them ?? I went there, through the recommendation from Razor, as there was a kit with Bag for under 1k USD and as you can see on the 1st page of this thread, they wouldnt ship to Aust due to Export Regs and Manufactures restrictions they couldnt ship to me

Ill keep those other warehouses in mind for future reference, but i just looking at the Adelaide one and i see what you mean about the lens prices, but one thing i do like, is they have a very wide variation of different lens's which is a good thing.
Appreciate your feedback, and yea i do like Aperture as well and i got the NIK Suite to throw in it to, so now just to wait for camera, look for 1 maybe 2 other lens to get me by, then find one for a Xmas pressie and hint hint hint lol
Thanks again mate

Brent

QUOTE Thanks
nickyr

nickyr is a jewel in the roughnickyr is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: late 2012 IMac 27", mid 2010 Macbook, OSX 10.9.5, iPhone 5, iPad 3, iOS 8, Apple TV 3, iPod Classic

Great combinatoin you've got there - should see you through many happy years.

One lens I would recommend is Nikon's 35mm f1.8 - not expensive but a superb lens.

I'm lucky where I live to have a really friendly, long established camera shop in the city who will let you try out stuff before you buy and provide great advice and after sales (including part ex of gear, etc).

Is that you in your avatar? Cool tattoo if it is.

what have the Roman's ever done for us?

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Scanning documents? | Recover images from Aperture 3? »