New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Images, Graphic Design, and Digital Photography Discussion of all things graphics.

Suggestion for an external drive to house photos and videos instead of on my MacBook?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

arundel

arundel is on a distinguished road

I am piling up a ton of photos, videos, music on my MacBook Pro. Wouldn't it make sense to move this stuff to an external drive (delete from the Mac), at least the photos and videos, and access them from the external drive? Or does this make no sense?
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

Yes it does make a lot of sense. Now as to which Ext HDD to do it with, its like flipping a coin mate. They are 6 of 1 half a dozen of the other in performance these days, but im a Western Digital type of guy. They are 99% plug and play with a Mac OS, which means no re-formatting them.
If you just want it for storage, and not to carry around, i would look at the WD MyBook collections, ranging from 750GB for the portables up to 8Tb for Desktop arrangements. They are a good brand and have done a lot in the last 4-5 yrs to welcome in the growing Mac community

External Desktop Hard Drives for Mac Overview

HTH and if you still have questions, be sure to ask.

Cheers

Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
MoTM ☆☆☆
QUOTE Thanks
arundel

I tried Seagate, but you have to do the formatting. Pain. With the WD, is there a way to store the photos/videos so that when opened it mimics the look of iPhoto with all the date info, albums, etc.? When I move photos to the Seagate, it dates them all with the date I moved them.
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

Yes by cloning the iPhoto Library to the Ext HDD.

Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
MoTM ☆☆☆
QUOTE Thanks
arundel

Thank you. Will try cloning
QUOTE Thanks
MacInWin

MacInWin has much to be proud ofMacInWin has much to be proud ofMacInWin has much to be proud ofMacInWin has much to be proud ofMacInWin has much to be proud ofMacInWin has much to be proud ofMacInWin has much to be proud ofMacInWin has much to be proud ofMacInWin has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2011 MBP, 2008 iMac, iPhone 5S, iPad mini, 13" MBP and MacMini

+1 for the WD MyBooks. I have two of them and they work well with my MBP.

If you want to carry one around, I've had good luck with a LaCie portable. Seems rugged enough to survive being banged about in a briefcase and backpack.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS 10.10.1

You will need to format any drive let alone a Seagate. It is standard for them to come NTFS and you require Mac PS Extended (Journaled) in all probability. Takes about five sends. Hook up the drive, go top Disk utility, select the external, hit Erase and format.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
MacInWin

MacInWin has much to be proud ofMacInWin has much to be proud ofMacInWin has much to be proud ofMacInWin has much to be proud ofMacInWin has much to be proud ofMacInWin has much to be proud ofMacInWin has much to be proud ofMacInWin has much to be proud ofMacInWin has much to be proud of

You CAN get OSX formatted drives, but almost 100% do come for Windows. I think LaCie formats for OSX, and some vendors have WD OSX drives, but not many. But formatting is dead easy, as Harry said.
QUOTE Thanks
ned911

ned911 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2010 Mac Mini

+2 on the WD My Book. Using one for Time Machine. Also like the GTech's with Firewire, no external power needed and the have the same look with the aluminum housing.
QUOTE Thanks
Exodist

Exodist is just really niceExodist is just really niceExodist is just really niceExodist is just really nice
Mac Specs: L2012 Mini, i7 2.6Ghz, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD(fusion), dual 23" Samsung LED Displays

Quote:
Originally Posted by TattooedMac View Post
Yes it does make a lot of sense. Now as to which Ext HDD to do it with, its like flipping a coin mate. ...............
I agree. WD is currently best in quality and reliability.

Now something to consider is a Networked Attached Storage or NAS for short. I have a Buffalo 2TB Link Station that I keep my files on. This model had WD blue drive in it.

Also if you want something more Apple, there is their Time Capsule that are both NAS and has a built in wireless router. Not sure on the drive inside the TC though, Apple doesnt make spinner drives..

Exodist Photography on Youtube
Lightroom, Photoshop video tutorials and more...
***If someone helps you, please don't forget to use the reputation system.***
QUOTE Thanks
Exodist

Exodist is just really niceExodist is just really niceExodist is just really niceExodist is just really nice
Mac Specs: L2012 Mini, i7 2.6Ghz, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD(fusion), dual 23" Samsung LED Displays

Quote:
Originally Posted by arundel View Post
I tried Seagate, but you have to do the formatting. Pain. With the WD, is there a way to store the photos/videos so that when opened it mimics the look of iPhoto with all the date info, albums, etc.? When I move photos to the Seagate, it dates them all with the date I moved them.
I woudlnt say its a pain. Just plug up the drive, go to Disk Utility, click Format and choose Apple JFS. Easy simple and quick.

I buy OEM drives, non of them ever come formatted. Now in windows, this is a pain in the rear from time to time with windows lack of software..

QUOTE Thanks
Deckyon

Deckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really nice
Mac Specs: MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM

I have a mix of drives at home and in my bag.

WD 2 TB hanging off my APExtreme for my MBP Time Machine
WD 4 TB NAS hanging off the APExtreme for my video and photo libraries (not iTunes)
WD 1 TB plugged into my MacMini for Time Machine
Seagate 4 TB Plugged into my MacMini for iTunes library (2 TB full now)
Seagate 1 TB Portable Wifi drive with all my movies for streaming to iPad.
Toshiba 500 GB portable as a temp storage.

These are just the ones currently in use. I have a few other 500GB drives lying around.

MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6750M 1GB RAM
MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256MB RAM
iPhone 5S 64GB, iPad Air 2 128 GB LTE, iPod Nano Gen6 8GB, Apple TV 3 & 2
QUOTE Thanks
MacInWin

Exodist had his fingers one key over, it's HFS.
QUOTE Thanks
Deckyon

Deckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really nice
Mac Specs: MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM

Unless he was referring to Journaled...

MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6750M 1GB RAM
MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256MB RAM
iPhone 5S 64GB, iPad Air 2 128 GB LTE, iPod Nano Gen6 8GB, Apple TV 3 & 2
QUOTE Thanks
Exodist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deckyon View Post
Unless he was referring to Journaled...
I was

Proper name is Mac OSX Extended. But its a JFS. Not sure why I called it Apple though.. LOL

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« What's going on here? | Mac Batch Program info »