New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Images, Graphic Design, and Digital Photography Discussion of all things graphics.

Transfering Photos on Imac

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

bmac89

bmac89 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 20" Imac 9,1 Core 2 Duo 2.6ghz, 2gb RAM, Snow Leopard, Macbook 7,1 Core 2 Duo 2.4ghz, 2gb RAM, SL

Hi,

I have a digital SLR and when I plug my camera into my imac computer using the USB cable Iphoto automatically opens and loads the photo previews and then I import photos onto Iphoto.

However what I am trying to achieve is when I plug my camera in it shows a removable drive which I can copy and paste the photo files onto any location I want such as my external hard drive without using Iphoto to import the images.

How do I go about this? I can not get a removable drive to show up when I plug the camera in.

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

Your iMac has an SD reader, just take the SD card out of the DSLR and plug it into the iMac. Now you'll get a drive that shows up in Finder that you can drag pictures from..

--
Regards
...Ashwin

Be sure to read the Community Guidelines | The more information you provide, the better answers you get, remember GIGO.
QUOTE Thanks
bmac89

bmac89 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 20" Imac 9,1 Core 2 Duo 2.6ghz, 2gb RAM, Snow Leopard, Macbook 7,1 Core 2 Duo 2.4ghz, 2gb RAM, SL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz0rEdge View Post
Your iMac has an SD reader, just take the SD card out of the DSLR and plug it into the iMac. Now you'll get a drive that shows up in Finder that you can drag pictures from..
Thanks for the reply. My Imac doesn't actually have a card reader. However I have an old plug in SD card reader but it doesn't seem to work with the new SD card I have. So I will buy a new plug in card reader unless there is another way for the computer to read the camera as a storage device rather than a camera through Iphoto. Anyone know of a way to do this?

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
chappers

chappers is on a distinguished road

Maybe the old SD card reader is not compatible with the current OS or has failed in some way. Check the cable, as this is a common point of failure. Also we have much higher capacity cards nowadays ad again there may be a compatibility issue

I'd opt for a new SD card reader as I suspect the transfer rate will be quicker, plus they are not expensive
QUOTE Thanks
Pomeroy

Pomeroy is a jewel in the roughPomeroy is a jewel in the rough

I know this tread is starting to get old and maybe you have found an answer, but maybe someone else will find this handy. To start with if you don't want iPhoto to open every time you plug in a camera go into iPhotos Preferences and change under the General tab "Connecting camera opens: No application". When you plug in the camera open Preview, not iPhoto, and under the File menu you will see "Import from Camera" select your camera and all the photos on the camera will show in the side bar of Preview, Select just the photos you want or use the Import All button. Then choose in the dialog box that pops up where you want to photo's imported too. So many people over look that you can import from a camera or card in Preview and place the photos any place you want without using iPhoto, I do it to Delete bad photos and batch rename all the photos before putting in iPhoto.

Never ask a man what computer he uses. If it's a Mac, he'll tell you.
If it's not, why embarrass him?'"
..: (Tom Clancy)
QUOTE Thanks
Exodist

Exodist is just really niceExodist is just really niceExodist is just really niceExodist is just really nice
Mac Specs: L2012 Mini, i7 2.6Ghz, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD(fusion), dual 23" Samsung LED Displays

Open iPhoto, go to Preferences and under the General Tab there is a option that has a drop down list box that says. "When plugging in your camera do:" Choose No Application from that list box and it want open iPhoto anymore.. Its that simple.

NEW!! Exodist Photography Video Blog
***If someone helps you, please don't forget to use the reputation system.***
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Looking for a quality, weather sealed, walk about lens for Canon 70D | Emoticons - Animated Images .... »