New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Images, Graphic Design, and Digital Photography Discussion of all things graphics.

Photostream without iPhoto/Aperture?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Chris H.

Chris H. is a jewel in the roughChris H. is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: late 2009 MacBook - 10.9

Is this even possible on a Mac? I've seen articles on the net about putting Photostream access in the Finder sidebar on Lion but it appears that isn't working now.

 iPad mini 1st gen - iOS 7.1.2
 iPod touch 5th gen - iOS 7.1.2
 Mac mini Server M10 - OS X 10.9.4
 MacBook Uni L09 - OS X 10.10 PB1
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

Mate, i just got it to work following This article. Quite cool actually, but do read down further for things like just wanting screenshots of your iDevices by searching .png

Very cool indeed. It doesnt look like the images in the article for ML as you put image in the Search bar, hit return, then underneath it, click the + button, then follow the instructions. I now have a Search Cog icon in my Finder bar for my photo stream

Thanks for that

EDIT : You need to have Finder set to Search Current Folder for it to be easy

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
Chris H.

Chris H. is a jewel in the roughChris H. is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: late 2009 MacBook - 10.9

Quote:
Originally Posted by TattooedMac View Post
Mate, i just got it to work following This article. Quite cool actually, but do read down further for things like just wanting screenshots of your iDevices by searching .png

Very cool indeed. It doesnt look like the images in the article for ML as you put image in the Search bar, hit return, then underneath it, click the + button, then follow the instructions. I now have a Search Cog iCon in my Finder bar for my photo stream

Thanks for that

EDIT : You need to have Finder set to Search Current Folder for it to be easy
Thanks for that.

 iPad mini 1st gen - iOS 7.1.2
 iPod touch 5th gen - iOS 7.1.2
 Mac mini Server M10 - OS X 10.9.4
 MacBook Uni L09 - OS X 10.10 PB1
QUOTE Thanks
Demapples

Demapples is a jewel in the roughDemapples is a jewel in the rough

Double thanks. Handy if it works. Will try.
UPDATE: I did, and it is awesome. Best Mac tip in weeks. Makes it so easy to manage PhotoStream images when I don't have time to open Aperture. Can even right click and email images, or double click to open them in Preview for fast basic edits. Being unfamiliar with saved searches in OSx I fiddled for 45 minutes to get it right: Should have read the comments below the tip article.

Longtime Windows, then onto slippery slope with iPod/iTunes in 2006, then Apple TV, iPad, iMac, iPhone and finally rejuvenated a discarded MacBook. Happy camper.
QUOTE Thanks
skallal

skallal is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15" mid 2012 16 gb ram

I also want to access the Photo Stream. But iCloud prompts me to install iPhoto or Aperture. The article referenced above, mentions the path:

~/Library/Application Support/iLifeAssetManagement/assets/sub/

I don't have that folder on my machine. I suspect it is created when iPhoto is installed.

Is there anyway to access Photo Stream without iPhoto or Aperture? I don't want to spend $15 just to activate the feature.
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by skallal View Post
I also want to access the Photo Stream. But iCloud prompts me to install iPhoto or Aperture. The article referenced above, mentions the path:

~/Library/Application Support/iLifeAssetManagement/assets/sub/

I don't have that folder on my machine. I suspect it is created when iPhoto is installed.

Is there anyway to access Photo Stream without iPhoto or Aperture? I don't want to spend $15 just to activate the feature.
No you can't. See ^^ in bold iLife being the main word in that path, refers to iPhoto, so without it, to accomplish what you want, you need to have iPhoto, and then have PhotoStream activated in System Preferences. . . .

There is NO other way, apart from Aperture to get Photo Stream onto the Mac, sorry to say.

Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2009 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

skallal: your Mac *came* with iPhoto, so if you ever open it you should have the folder (you may need to set up a small test library).
QUOTE Thanks
MacHI

MacHI is on a distinguished road

I have tried the suggested procedure under Mavericks with no success. I can save the search but nothing comes up. After manually drilling down through the folders with Finder the image which does exist, and I can see it. When I view my saved search again, the picture I viewed is there!

I can't imagine having to view each image in Finder first is a good approach

Did something change under Mavericks?
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

It does work under Mavericks. I just tried. But when you search and then select "Image" then "Kind" the search defaults to the Folder in Finder you have set in Finder Preferences, so you need to select the "Sub" Folder again and you can then complete the steps. See image . . . .
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg Screenshot 2013-11-17 07.08.43.jpeg (41.2 KB, 31 views)

QUOTE Thanks
Exodist

Exodist is a jewel in the roughExodist is a jewel in the roughExodist is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: L2012 Mini, i7 2.6Ghz, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD, dual 23" LED Displays

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas_m View Post
skallal: your Mac *came* with iPhoto, so if you ever open it you should have the folder (you may need to set up a small test library).
Seldom does anyone seriously into photography use iPhoto. Don't get it wrong its not bad, but once a person moves past using JPEGs and starts getting serious enough that he or she is using RAW. They either move to Lightroom or Aperture or something similar.

NEW!! Exodist Photography Video Blog
***If someone helps you, please don't forget to use the reputation system.***
QUOTE Thanks
MacHI

MacHI is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TattooedMac View Post
It does work under Mavericks. I just tried. But when you search and then select "Image" then "Kind" the search defaults to the Folder in Finder you have set in Finder Preferences, so you need to select the "Sub" Folder again and you can then complete the steps. See image . . . .
Thanks TattoedMac, but yes, my search setting does specify "Sub" Folder. As mentioned, it works only if I first navigate through the cryptic subfolder structure and view a photo. After that I can then view the image via search. Each view of the photo reveals a new photo in search. Cumbersome to say the least but I am clearly missing a simple setting.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« App for Brochures / Spec Sheets | Replacement for Canvas »