New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Images, Graphic Design, and Digital Photography Discussion of all things graphics.

hows the s9000

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Clandestine

so im planning on getting a great camera, and i was looking at the s9000. Is this is good camera? would you recommend any others? my price limit is $700 USD

-Devyn
QUOTE Thanks
mraya

mraya is a jewel in the roughmraya is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MacBook C2D 2.4 2GB

Maybe i'm wrong but i think this thread may help you... I know is the s9500, but there must be enough common points to help you.

First pics with fuji s9500

[is pointless to click here]
QUOTE Thanks
surfwax95

surfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15" Powerbook G4 24" iMac iPhone 3Gs

They're pretty much the same camera, one is for the Euro market (9500), while the 9000 is for North America.

I try to Command+Shift+/ when I can.
They're - Their - There | Two - Too - To | You're - Your | MAC - Mac
I was on the M-F honor roll for October, 2006.
QUOTE Thanks
DigitalN.

700 USD could buy you a D50 kit, no? that is a better option than the 9000 for sure.
QUOTE Thanks
surfwax95

surfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud of

$700 will get you a Nikon D50, sure.

But it will only come with a 28-80mm lens, while the Fuji comes with 28-300mm stock.
The S9000 has a greater variance in the aperture setting (3.3-5.6 for the Nikon's stock lens, 2.8-4.9 for the Fuji).
The S9000 has a viewable pixel count of 9.1 million, the Nikon has 6 million.

The Nikon relies heavily on it's glass to be a good camera, so if you were to get a Nikon D50, it would take another $500 or so to get a lens decent enough to compete with the Fuji.

QUOTE Thanks
DigitalN.

first thing I have to say, megapixels mean nothing. a 4MP D1H is going to blow away anything a S9000 has to offer. secondly, just because it is 28-80 stock, there is the 1.5x multiplyer. and last, the ability to go up to ISO 1600 without it looking like the ISO 400 on the S9000 is a definate good thing if you shoot low light.
QUOTE Thanks
surfwax95

I wouldn't say megapixels mean nothing. How do you think that 2.6Mp D1H (I've never seen a 4Mp D1H, only a 5.3) will look once it's blown up to 48x24? I guess it depends on what you plan to do with the final image. In general, the D1H definitely would blow away the S9000.

I totally agree with your statement about the ISO, however. Fuji's sensor is definitely not comparable with Nikon's. I try to keep the ISO on 80 with my camera. I've taken a few pictures in low light with ISO 1600 and they do look pretty noisy.

Anyways, to answer the original question, yes the Fuji S9000 is a great camera. It's very easy to use and the money that you save on it (given your $700 limit) you could buy a case and a 2GB CompactFlash card.

I would definitely heed DigitalN.'s advice and look at the Nikon D50, however. It wasn't right for me at purchase time, but it's a great camera. A little more professional oriented, mind you, but a great camera.

QUOTE Thanks
DigitalN.

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfwax95
I wouldn't say megapixels mean nothing. How do you think that 2.6Mp D1H (I've never seen a 4Mp D1H, only a 5.3) will look once it's blown up to 48x24? I guess it depends on what you plan to do with the final image. In general, the D1H definitely would blow away the S9000.

I totally agree with your statement about the ISO, however. Fuji's sensor is definitely not comparable with Nikon's. I try to keep the ISO on 80 with my camera. I've taken a few pictures in low light with ISO 1600 and they do look pretty noisy.

Anyways, to answer the original question, yes the Fuji S9000 is a great camera. It's very easy to use and the money that you save on it (given your $700 limit) you could buy a case and a 2GB CompactFlash card.

I would definitely heed DigitalN.'s advice and look at the Nikon D50, however. It wasn't right for me at purchase time, but it's a great camera. A little more professional oriented, mind you, but a great camera.
I had the D2H in my mind when I was thinking about that, sorry.

but again, what consumer is going to blow up to a 48x24?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Photoshop CS and RAW images | how do I know my iphoto book w be published »