New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Images, Graphic Design, and Digital Photography Discussion of all things graphics.

Trying to shoot photos tethered to OS 10.8

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Skyship

Skyship is on a distinguished road

As a professional photographer I use Phase One software to shoot studio shots and process them on a Macbook Pro. My cameras and software worked fine on my previous Macbook with Snow Leopard, and even my older cameras currently perform without fault on my G5 even with the pre-intel processor (a combination that isn't even recommended by the Phase One software).
I cannot, to my frustration, get any transfer of images from camera to computer using a doner Macbook Pro with Mountain Lion running the guts. My Phase One software freezes and the computer gets unpleasantly hot. Many of my fellow snappers have also expressed frustration with upgrade incompatibilities.
There are rather a lot of people like myself on the planet trying to make a living taking pictures and reliant on computers and software. Having to consider a downgrade to a previous operating system in order to keep things running does not make new upgrades seem to be in the consumers interest.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

G'day and welcome to the forums.

By chance have you been to the Phase One web site and updated whatever version you are using? If the MBP came with Lion or Mountain lion, no going back alas.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
Skyship

Skyship is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the replies and suggestions, I decided to retro install Snow Leopard and, being the first time I had ever attempted anything like this, was chuffed with the way it went. Shame I wasn't expecting The Hard Drive to be partitioned or I could have altered that at the time too, but no problem, can sort at another time.
I ordered Snow Leopard from Apple Store (only 18 inc delivery and vat) and received the disc a day earlier than quoted . I checked out with a knowledgeable pal, with a chocolate bribe, what I was intending to do. He ok'ed the plan but suggested I might have to install Leopard first if the Snow Leopard disc turned out to be just an add on upgrade. I already had a full install Leopard disc but it wasn't needed as the SL 10.6 disk did the whole install.
I was lucky to find a brilliant link supplied by searchframe in Apple Support Communities that took me to a very comprehensive step-by-step article page in PC Magazine on how to do it.
The Macbook Pro (c. 2009), although looking on the outside like it has been used to fend off cannonballs and buckshot, is now running terrific on OS X 10.6.3 and my Adobe CS3, and the Phase One Capture One v6.1.1 is responding perfectly to the Mk 1 Canon 5D as well as the Mk2.

My sincere thanks to all involved.
Skyship
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Why do people never take our advice as Graphic Designers? | sending photo events to light room??? »