New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Images, Graphic Design, and Digital Photography Discussion of all things graphics.

sending photo events to light room???

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

britrecko

britrecko is on a distinguished road

I wish to edit my photo images to lightroom 4 which is in my macbook pro mountain lion.However all my downloads go to iphoto.How can i transfer an event from iPhoto to lightroom 4.?
QUOTE Thanks
Lightcraftsman

Lightcraftsman is a jewel in the roughLightcraftsman is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 15-inch 2014 Retina MacBook Pro, 2012 Mac Mini, 160GB iPod Classic, iPhone 5

I don't think there is any way to transfer an event to Lightroom. I've only dabbled a bit with iPhoto but I use Lightroom regularly so I'll take a swag at helping you.

First, set your Mac so iPhoto does not launch when you download photos. Launch Image Capture (it's in your Applications folder) and insert an SD card or CF card into your computer. Select the device and then select No Application under the Connecting This (Device) Opens tab. This will allow you to copy the photos using the Finder and give you the ability to decide where to store them.

Next, launch iPhoto and click on Photos under the Library heading in the left column and select the photos you want to work with in Lightroom. Select File: Export. In the next dialog box box select Kind: Original and File Name: Use filename. Click the Export button.

Now navigate to where you want to store your photos. Create a new folder and give it an appropriate name. Click OK. If you have a lot of photos do something else while iPhoto works on the images.

You will now have copies of your photos in a new location and can launch Lightroom to work on them. When you are absolutely certain you have all your photos in your new location go back to iPhoto and reselect the photos as above, then choose Edit: Move to Trash. This should move the selected photos to the trash, but did not work for me when I just tried it. I went to the Finder and manually trashed the iPhoto Library folder. Do not do this unless you are certain you have all your photos moved and backed up.

I wasn't worried about trashing the iPhoto Library folder because I do not use iPhoto. You may want to search the 'net for ramifications of trashing this folder if you might use iPhoto in the future. I accept no responsibility for what happens to iPhoto's database.

"It's got to come from the heart, if you want it to work."
Guy Clark

Light Craftsman website
QUOTE Thanks
britrecko

britrecko is on a distinguished road

Thank you for your detailed reply.Yes that can work but it is cumbersome.
I use Photoshop elements 11 and can send the raw images directly into a folder in organizer,
QUOTE Thanks
Lightcraftsman

Lightcraftsman is a jewel in the roughLightcraftsman is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 15-inch 2014 Retina MacBook Pro, 2012 Mac Mini, 160GB iPod Classic, iPhone 5

Cumbersome? I just spent 45 minutes working on one image in Lightroom and Photoshop. Taking a few minutes to get iPhoto out of your way and import your images into Lightroom isn't that difficult.

"It's got to come from the heart, if you want it to work."
Guy Clark

Light Craftsman website
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

It is only cumbersome to get your current photos out of iPhoto so that you can use them in Lightroom.

Once you follow the steps provided, you will no longer have that issue with any future photos.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

For "iPhoto" in the above comments, I believe it could also be "Aperture" (ie that one isn't required to use iPhoto but does have to use either iPhoto or Aperture).
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Trying to shoot photos tethered to OS 10.8 | Finder no longer uses Preview to open images? »