New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Images, Graphic Design, and Digital Photography Discussion of all things graphics.

Is 4Gb enough on a MacBook for an advanced photographer?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

lewiscoughlin

lewiscoughlin is on a distinguished road

I bought a gently used MacBook Pro that's a bit over a year old and that has 4 Gb of RAM. I am wondering if it's good enough to handle large raw photo files and so on as my wife is going to use this mac for doing her photography stuff... via Photoshop and other such software for pic editing.

I could upgrade to 8gb if necessary but thought I'd ask the pros before dropping a $100-200 or whatever it costs to add the memory.

Thanks!

Lewis
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

It would be a good idea to up the memory to at least 8 GB especially if you're going to be running Photoshop. We recommend Crucial or OWC as the best vendors to buy the memory from.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewiscoughlin View Post
I could upgrade to 8gb if necessary but thought I'd ask the pros before dropping a $100-200 or whatever it costs to add the memory.
An 8gig ram upgrade should cost you closer to $50-$60 bucks (assuming you're in the U.S.). At that price...why not!

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
infocusinc

infocusinc will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: '11 15.4, 2.2, 8gb MBP - '11 15.4, 2.0, 8gb MBP, 2x4gb Gen1 Nano, 8gb Gen3 Nano,

Quote:
I bought a gently used MacBook Pro that's a bit over a year old and that has 4 Gb of RAM. I am wondering if it's good enough to handle large raw photo files and so on as my wife is going to use this mac for doing her photography stuff... via Photoshop and other such software for pic editing.

Thanks!

Lewis
Do the 16gb from OWC $149 Get all that you can.

Craig Lamson - Craig Lamson Photo

www.craiglamson.com
QUOTE Thanks
bobmielke

bobmielke is a jewel in the roughbobmielke is a jewel in the roughbobmielke is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 21.5" iMac 3.06 I3, 16Gig Ram, OSX 10.6.8

Quote:

Thanks!

Lewis
The very first thing I did after getting my iMac was to order 16 Gig of high speed RAM and have the Mac dealer install it. It's not the Apple brand of RAM but identical chip modules made by Crucial. It's been running great for better than 4 years, now with Mountain Lion aboard. I'm a power Photoshop user.

Bob
iMac, iPad, iPod Nano
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobmielke View Post
The very first thing I did after getting my iMac was to order 16 Gig of high speed RAM and have the Mac dealer install it. It's not the Apple brand of RAM but identical chip modules made by Crucial. It's been running great for better than 4 years, now with Mountain Lion aboard. I'm a power Photoshop user.
Great advice Bob!

As far as I can tell...you're one of the "Main-Men" around here when it comes to photography!

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
bobmielke

bobmielke is a jewel in the roughbobmielke is a jewel in the roughbobmielke is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
Great advice Bob!

As far as I can tell...you're one of the "Main-Men" around here when it comes to photography!

- Nick
Few computers or software require more resources than Adobe Photoshop. Only high end gaming requires more.

Bob
iMac, iPad, iPod Nano
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

Hey Bob wouldn't it be safe to say that other than memory an ample amount of storage space is one of the next best investments?

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks
bobmielke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slydude View Post
Hey Bob wouldn't it be safe to say that other than memory an ample amount of storage space is one of the next best investments?
IMHO you don't need a big hard drive at all. My iMac has a 500 gig HD and still has 350 gig free. I store my photos online at SmugMug.com, have for 4 years. They backup everything on three different servers at three different locations. It cost me around $50 a year for that security. Even though hard drives have gotten cheaper it doesn't get close to that price. Plus, what's your time worth spent backing up on multiple hard drives? If there's a fire, theft or disaster in your home you lose everything. I can't deal with that.

After RAM your best investment is good software. With my Photography I own the latest Mac versions of Photoshop and plug-in suites from 3 different makers: Topaz, OnOne & NIK. Again, these were all downloaded from the companies so backups are always available for free. Been there, done that.

Bob
iMac, iPad, iPod Nano
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

That's a good deal to have backups in more than one place. I don't have a lot of photos at the moment but would like to begin digitizing a lot of old family photos and do some touchup work.

I have the OnOne plugins and really like them. I need to contact them since I need to reinstall them and seem to have misplaced my serial number. I'll be trying the NIK plugins soon as well.

QUOTE Thanks
alicepattinson

alicepattinson is on a distinguished road

4GB RAM is just fine if you just collect so many pictures, etc. But if you're planning to download so many applications and software a larger RAM is better
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by alicepattinson View Post
4GB RAM is just fine if you just collect so many pictures, etc. But if you're planning to download so many applications and software a larger RAM is better
RAM has nothing to do with storage. So what and how much you download are have no relation to the RAM. RAM has everything to do with WHAT you run. So running applications that will load large RAW images or video footage for post-processing needs a lot of RAM to make it efficient..

Please learn about the terminology and usage before posting..

--
Regards
...Ashwin

Be sure to read the Community Guidelines | The more information you provide, the better answers you get, remember GIGO.
QUOTE Thanks
bobmielke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz0rEdge View Post
RAM has nothing to do with storage. So what and how much you download are have no relation to the RAM. RAM has everything to do with WHAT you run. So running applications that will load large RAW images or video footage for post-processing needs a lot of RAM to make it efficient..

Please learn about the terminology and usage before posting..
Give her a break. I've got underwear older than her.

Bob
iMac, iPad, iPod Nano
QUOTE Thanks
CebuCity

CebuCity will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15" 2.2GHz i7 16GB RAM 250G SSD OS X Mountain Lion, iMac mid 2011, iPhone 3G

Go with 16G crucial. Great investment.
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobmielke View Post
Give her a break. I've got underwear older than her.
LOL
1. WAAAAAY too much info there Bob.
2. You must hate shopping more than I do.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Slideshow settings in iPhoto | 20 000 pictures, multiple iPhoto libraries...should I go Aperture »