New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Images, Graphic Design, and Digital Photography Discussion of all things graphics.

20 000 pictures, multiple iPhoto libraries...should I go Aperture

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Trolle

Trolle is on a distinguished road

I have about 20,000 pictures in iPhoto. I just split my single library into several, according to date, by using iPhoto Library Manager. It worked fine...I think. I haven't dug around in all the albums yet.

I am wondering though if I made a mistake and would prefer to have a single library. I often go back and forth through the years and maybe several libraries is a hassle.

Wondering if anyone has any opinions on Aperature vs. iPhoto.

My use in iPhoto is:
Lots of Photostream and Places use
Very little editing
Lots of import to iMovie

I guess I would be using Aperature more as a database manager than an editor...any thoughts. Maybe it's just overkill of an app for my needs. I wanted a trial version but noticed that is no longer available.

15" MBP, 2.4 GHz, 8 GB RAM, OSX 10.8.3
iPod Classic (7th generation)
iPad Mini, 64GB Cellular (1st generation), iOS 6.0.2
iPhone 5
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

Yea, with that kind of library.. I'd go with either Aperture or Lightroom. Both are good basic editors, and great digital asset management applications.

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks
dmunroe

dmunroe is on a distinguished road

Myself I just use a single library ,when the library gets to 10,000 photos (raw photos) I copy the library to an external hard drive ...Then i start a new library with a number after each library (library 1 , library 2 , etc) that makes it easier to find images on the external hard drive ... For PP I mainly use aperture 3 , I have lightroom 3 & beta5 but seldom use them because I take wildlife photos (mainly birds) and if they are not sharp to start with they are deleted ..
QUOTE Thanks
Trolle

Trolle is on a distinguished road

So, do you import to iPhoto and then work in Aperture? I have read about the common library between the two programs.

However, if one has Aperture is there any reason to use iPhoto? Although, I am aware of the ability to edit & not edit in various features, e.g. Slideshows.

15" MBP, 2.4 GHz, 8 GB RAM, OSX 10.8.3
iPod Classic (7th generation)
iPad Mini, 64GB Cellular (1st generation), iOS 6.0.2
iPhone 5
QUOTE Thanks
dmunroe

dmunroe is on a distinguished road

Yes I import into iPhoto and work using aperture 3 , they share the same library .. If I need to remove a twig , limb , post or wire I will use Lightroom because it's a more powerful tool ... You can crop and touchup using iPhoto but Aperture will do more than iPhoto , but all I do is crop a little (if needed) maybe add a little contrast , touch the color sliders , bit of sharpening and maybe a little NR ...

Only reason I do it this way is because iPhoto is the default photo app when I bought the iMac ,so I used it and never saw a reason to change ..

It depends partly on your camera and lenses (and how well you can use them) as to how much PP is needed ,I use a Canon 7d & Canon 1D mk4 ... and lenses are Canon 500 f4 & Canon 600 f4 both with Canon 1.4 extenders so I don't crop a lot and the images are sharp to begin with ..
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

Meh. It's the exposure more than anything that'll create a need (or not) for PP.. unless your PP is done intentionally (and to be honest, mine almost always is.. that is to say.. it's not done simply to 'rescue' the exposure.. then again, I'm generally using a hand-held meter). A fuzzy focus will simply not be 'fixed' in post.

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Is 4Gb enough on a MacBook for an advanced photographer? | Epson Artisan 837 Print problem on 4 x 6 »