New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Images, Graphic Design, and Digital Photography Discussion of all things graphics.

Any other Illustrator / Photoshop users out there?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

PromoPunch

PromoPunch is on a distinguished road

We use both in our day to day operations and just moved over to a Mac in the last 3 days. The experience so far has been a good one for us. I'm waiting on 2 - 1 gig mem chips to come in and then it should be REALLY nice.

Things are a little slow to start up but once up and going we never have a problem. Running both on a Mac seems so much more stable than on the PC. On the PC we would saver work several times during the process because you never know when it's going to die on you. The Mac has been good to us though.

Any similar experiences?
QUOTE Thanks
deus_ex_machina

deus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nice
Mac Specs: 2GHz Mac Mini 2GB RAM 160GB 10.6.2 | MDD DP 1.25GHz G4 1.5GB RAM 10.4.11 | 233MHz iMac G3 10.3.9

our studio uses PCs only for web testing - all the rest are Macs and they've all been stable for us.
http://www.alchemystudios.com
QUOTE Thanks
Maul

Maul is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro

I own a mac and a pc. I do work on both, but I favor my mac the most. It will still be a good habit to save work periodically when using a mac. Sometimes programs have a tendency to quit unexpectedly.
Enjoy using the mac, it makes things easier.
QUOTE Thanks
deus_ex_machina

deus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nice
Mac Specs: 2GHz Mac Mini 2GB RAM 160GB 10.6.2 | MDD DP 1.25GHz G4 1.5GB RAM 10.4.11 | 233MHz iMac G3 10.3.9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maul
It will still be a good habit to save work periodically when using a mac. Sometimes programs have a tendency to quit unexpectedly.
Enjoy using the mac, it makes things easier.
I second that - your mac will be fine but apps will quit sometimes. I've lost hours of Photoshop work by not saving. I save like mad now.
QUOTE Thanks
PromoPunch

PromoPunch is on a distinguished road

Funny story.... i was in the middle of reading this thread and my brand new iMac Intel Duo just instantly restarts on its own. Killed every program that was running on it

I had a bad feeling in my gut when they told me it had an intel. I was trying to avoid all things related to a PC.
QUOTE Thanks
kaidomac

kaidomac is just really nicekaidomac is just really nicekaidomac is just really nicekaidomac is just really nice
Mac Specs: G4 Cube

Quote:
Originally Posted by PromoPunch
Funny story.... i was in the middle of reading this thread and my brand new iMac Intel Duo just instantly restarts on its own. Killed every program that was running on it

I had a bad feeling in my gut when they told me it had an intel. I was trying to avoid all things related to a PC.
Revision 1 hardware = :p
QUOTE Thanks
kaidomac

kaidomac is just really nicekaidomac is just really nicekaidomac is just really nicekaidomac is just really nice
Mac Specs: G4 Cube

Quote:
Originally Posted by PromoPunch
We use both in our day to day operations and just moved over to a Mac in the last 3 days. The experience so far has been a good one for us. I'm waiting on 2 - 1 gig mem chips to come in and then it should be REALLY nice.

Things are a little slow to start up but once up and going we never have a problem. Running both on a Mac seems so much more stable than on the PC. On the PC we would saver work several times during the process because you never know when it's going to die on you. The Mac has been good to us though.

Any similar experiences?
Yeah, give your Mac all the ram you can afford. I've found things generally to be more stable on Macs than PCs. PCs can be pretty stable, but it requires a lot more work on the user's part to get it that way. After doing a fresh install of Windows XP, I follow this weekly routine:

Monday: Adaware, update and scan
Tuesday: Spybot, update and scan
Wednesday: AVG Anti-virus, update and scan
Thursday: Windows update
Friday: Disk Cleanup & Disk Defragmenter

As long as you avoid P2P programs and other junk like that, and run that maintenance, your PC will be a pretty good system. On the other hand, you could just boot up your Mac and, well, use it
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Exclamation marks in iPhoto | Adobe Photoshop CS RAM question »