Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1


    Member Since
    Nov 21, 2012
    Posts
    72
    Why are my wife's iPhone 4s photos lower resolution?
    My wife has an iPhone 4s, and I just noticed her photos have a resolution of 2048 x 1536. When I take photos with my iPhone 4s, the photos are around 2448 x 3264. Why is the resolution of her photos so much smaller than mine?

  2. #2

    TattooedMac's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 19, 2009
    Location
    Waiting for a mate . . .
    Posts
    8,441
    Specs:
    21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
    From what i have read it has something to do with Photo Stream. Photo Stream stores the images at a slightly less resolution than those that are in your Camera Roll. Im not a Image/Resolution guru but have a read of this article in iLounge and you might get a better understanding than having me try to explain/confuse you
    HTH

    Cheers
    Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
    Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
    MoTM ☆☆☆

  3. #3


    Member Since
    Nov 21, 2012
    Posts
    72
    Quote Originally Posted by TattooedMac View Post
    From what i have read it has something to do with Photo Stream. Photo Stream stores the images at a slightly less resolution than those that are in your Camera Roll. Im not a Image/Resolution guru but have a read of this article in iLounge and you might get a better understanding than having me try to explain/confuse you
    HTH

    Cheers

    Thanks, that explains it. Well, that really threw a wrench to my workflow plans!

  4. #4

    TattooedMac's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 19, 2009
    Location
    Waiting for a mate . . .
    Posts
    8,441
    Specs:
    21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
    Quote Originally Posted by zBernie View Post
    Thanks, that explains it. Well, that really threw a wrench to my workflow plans!
    What workflow plans ??
    Try and explain it here and I'm sure someone could offer some advice of some sort and even come up with another way for you to work ?? Cant hurt..

    Cheers
    Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
    Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
    MoTM ☆☆☆

  5. #5


    Member Since
    Nov 21, 2012
    Posts
    72
    Quote Originally Posted by TattooedMac View Post
    What workflow plans ??
    Try and explain it here and I'm sure someone could offer some advice of some sort and even come up with another way for you to work ?? Cant hurt..

    Cheers

    I manage a large family media library and wanted the ability to grab photos my wife has taken, from her shared photo stream. Considering that the photos contained within photo stream are lower resolution, I won't be doing that. Photo stream notwithstanding, I have a better solution - PhotoSync. This allows my wife to sync photos AND movies from her iPhone, to a directory on my iMac. Subsequently I have a launchd daemon running which uses WatchPath to watch the folder where PhotoSync transfers the files. Any photos or videos placed in this folder are then automatically processed by several shell scripts of mine. It works extremely well.

    I was actually exporting photos from my wife's photo stream to this watched directory, when I discovered they were of lower resolution. It would be nice to have this capability as well, but leave it to Apple to make the photos in photo stream a lower resolution, rendering them useless as keepers. Useless unless photo resolution is not a factor.

  6. #6

    TattooedMac's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 19, 2009
    Location
    Waiting for a mate . . .
    Posts
    8,441
    Specs:
    21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
    IMO though, unless your going to print poster size pictures, the resolution still is still quite high for everyday use? I really don't see the loss of that little resolution is such a big deal.
    Granted I'm not a Pro Photographer, (My Ex is) and i have learnt things from her, but still i have just gone back over some of the images i have gone on had printed as A4 size and 1 was from my photo stream and i can't see ANY difference what so ever.
    Still decision is yours but just my 2c

    Cheers
    Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
    Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
    MoTM ☆☆☆

  7. #7


    Member Since
    Nov 21, 2012
    Posts
    72
    Quote Originally Posted by TattooedMac View Post
    IMO though, unless your going to print poster size pictures, the resolution still is still quite high for everyday use? I really don't see the loss of that little resolution is such a big deal.
    Granted I'm not a Pro Photographer, (My Ex is) and i have learnt things from her, but still i have just gone back over some of the images i have gone on had printed as A4 size and 1 was from my photo stream and i can't see ANY difference what so ever.
    Still decision is yours but just my 2c

    Cheers
    You're right, in most cases the difference in resolution will be inconsequential. But how I first noticed a problem was that in my automated workflow, I have a script which adds a small subtle date stamp to the bottom right of the photos. This date stamp was HUGE in the photo stream photo, because of the lower resolution.

    Thanks again.

  8. #8

    TattooedMac's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 19, 2009
    Location
    Waiting for a mate . . .
    Posts
    8,441
    Specs:
    21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
    Ahhh got ya. That explains it more.
    That photo sync should be good for you, and there is another that might be easy to use as well called Bump and you can Read about it here and here is the iOS App..

    I have used both and Bump works better for me with only doing a few Photo's and P/Sync world well with quite a few. Also you have DropBox and i have something similar that looks in my Dropbox folder and runs a script when it finds some there. All good alternatives. I find DropBox more efficient as it sync as you add the images and there on your Mac without having to do anything OTHER than putting them in DropBox on the iOS device . .

    HTH

    Cheers
    Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
    Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
    MoTM ☆☆☆

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Low Resolution photos from iPhoto
    By lobar in forum OS X - Apps and Games
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-10-2015, 02:47 PM
  2. Can I pass my old iPhone on to my wife?
    By IWT in forum iPhone Hardware and Accessories
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-20-2012, 04:27 PM
  3. Got iPhone 4 for wife… reception and other observations
    By Lifeisabeach in forum iPhone Hardware and Accessories
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 07-24-2010, 12:46 AM
  4. Emailing high resolution photos from my iPhoto Gallery
    By tmwusa in forum Apple Desktops
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-05-2010, 09:27 PM
  5. lower resolution result blurriness normal?
    By groggy23 in forum Apple Desktops
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-30-2006, 01:23 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •