New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Images, Graphic Design, and Digital Photography Discussion of all things graphics.

Nikon 85mm f1.8 or Pro Zoom (70-200mm)?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

B&H Photo has another sale going and I can get the Nikon 85mm F1.8 for $397. This lens has been on my radar for quite a while, but having a hard time making up my mind.

1) It is one of Nikon's sharpest lenses, and a really good value at ~$400
2) But, I don't tend to use primes, have a 35mm f1.8 that gets little service
3) Setting up a home studio, but my max working distance is about 12 feet, which seems a bit short for this focal length on DX
4) Depending on which pro zoom I choose (and new or used) passing on the 85mm gives me 1/2 to 1/5 the cost toward a future zoom purchase.
5) On the other hand, I already have the Nikon 70-300mm VR, which is a decent lens (though a bit slow and variable Aperture). The 85mm would give me a fast medium telephoto

Thoughts anyone

I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

I would opt for 85mm prime. I like taking portraits and that's pretty much the perfect focal length for it.

That's me though. >_<" How many blades does it have and how is the bokeh? XD That's kind of the make it or break it for me when I buy glass.

死神はリンゴしか食べない。
QUOTE Thanks
Kevriano

Kevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.

Given that you have the 70-300, I would also aim at that 85mm 1.8. You won't gain much by having the 70-200 over the 300.
Zoom wise I'd save and aim at the mighty Sigma 150-500. I just bought my wife one and it is incredible!

Try my custom Mac Forums Search Engine: Mac Forums Google Search

Please use the reputation system if you consider any help given useful (it's the little ✓/✘ on the left <---)

QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

Thanks, guys. Appreciate the input.

And, I admit I've been tempted by the Sigma super zoom.

Been waffling back and forth on the 85mm all day, but am leaning toward passing on it and going for a fast Macro like the Nikon 105mm f2.8 instead

I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .
QUOTE Thanks
Lightcraftsman

Lightcraftsman is a jewel in the roughLightcraftsman is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 13-inch 2009 MacBook Pro, 2011 iMac 21.5-inch 2.5GHz, 16GB iPad 2, 160GB iPod Classic, iPhone 5

I'd go for the 105/2.8 Micro too. The 85/1.8 is an excellent lens, but the 105/2.8 Micro is more versatile. It will do everything the 85/1.8 will do plus macro. OK, the 85/1.8 has a faster maximum aperture, but unless you shoot in low light regularly that is not relevant. It you did shoot in low light regularly you would have already ordered the 85/1.8.

Get the 105/2.8 Micro. It is a fantastic lens and will help you discover a new territory in photography.

"It's got to come from the heart, if you want it to work."
Guy Clark

Light Craftsman website
QUOTE Thanks
Doug b

Doug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5

What are your goals again, in terms of subject matter? Wildlife, birding, landscapes?

Personally speaking, I feel that the 85 1.8 is an decent lens, but nothing spectacular. Were I you, and 85 was really the right length.. I'd get a used 85 1.8 or even a 1.4 on KEH. Or if you were feeling brave, get a used 85mm Zeiss for that matter. Sure, it would be manual focus, but it would put the Nikon to shame. Heck, even my Rokinon 85 1.4 puts the Nikon to shame (IMO) and it's on sale for $309 right now. Holy cow Amazon.com: Rokinon 85MAF-N 85mm F1.4 Aspherical Lens for Nikon with Automatic Chip (Black): ROKINON: Camera & Photo

Doug
QUOTE Thanks
Kevriano

Kevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.

That Macro lens is amazing, another one the wife owns. If that's on the table, go for it, you won't regret that.

Please use the reputation system if you consider any help given useful (it's the little ✓/✘ on the left <---)

QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavingMac View Post
Thanks, guys. Appreciate the input.

And, I admit I've been tempted by the Sigma super zoom.

Been waffling back and forth on the 85mm all day, but am leaning toward passing on it and going for a fast Macro like the Nikon 105mm f2.8 instead
When you started the thread you didn't mention anything about that Macro lens! I would go for the Macro then. XD

死神はリンゴしか食べない。
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug b View Post
What are your goals again, in terms of subject matter? Wildlife, birding, landscapes?

Doug
You have my goals down pretty well, with Landscape (especially lowlight landscape) being the top. Portraits and Macro is something I want to be able to do as well, but my big three right now are as you stated.

The main thing I am trying to do is to put together a kit that makes sense without too much overlap, since I don't have unlimited money.
On the other hand, I get tempted when I see good sales, even if the item doesn't really fit.

I am so far very satisfied with my additions, but believe I may want to add a fast aperture Telephoto even though it duplicates the 70-300 VR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevriano View Post
That Macro lens is amazing, another one the wife owns. If that's on the table, go for it, you won't regret that.
Thanks, the fact that it does double duty is a big benefit (of course it costs twice as much).

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonRequiem View Post
When you started the thread you didn't mention anything about that Macro lens! I would go for the Macro then. XD
Sorry!

Mainly, I was fixated on the 85mm and wasn't thinking about it clearly in line with my overall plan. . .

QUOTE Thanks
Kevriano

There is always the 85mm Macro Another awesome lens, and great for portrait. Best of both worlds

QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevriano View Post
There is always the 85mm Macro Another awesome lens, and great for portrait. Best of both worlds
That does sound tempting. Not sure about the F/3.5 on the Macro version though. I'm wondering if a 85mm F/1.4 D/G with an extension tube would perform any better?

死神はリンゴしか食べない。
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iPhoto question | Memory card problem »