New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Images, Graphic Design, and Digital Photography Discussion of all things graphics.

DiMage paperweight...

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

TheCloudPainter

TheCloudPainter is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Die-hard Apple-head! 333 MHz grape, 350 MHz indigo blue, 2.1 GHz G5 & 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

Hey all...

Hope this is the correct place for this...

Quite a few years ago *coughs*, I saved & saved to get a Minolta DiMage A1 camera...
It was awesome! Got some great photos that I could use in my artwork... (see attached)

Went to use it and the sensor CCD is gone, but because Sony bought them out, I think I'm out of luck. I seemed to have missed all the deadlines for recalls, too...

Any ideas?
It really breaks my heart that I now have an almost $1000 paperweight...

Thanks,
TCP

http://i1096.photobucket.com/albums/...ps6c5316b2.jpg

MOTTO TO LIVE BY..... Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty & well-preserved body... but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming... "WOW, what a helluva ride!"
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCloudPainter View Post
It really breaks my heart that I now have an almost $1000 paperweight...
As you probably know...this camera came out in 2003...so it's roughly a 10 year-old digital camera. This 10 year-old digital camera that cost $1000 in 2003...is now worth around $90 bucks (maybe).

Here's an e-Bay auction for "Buy It Now" $90 bucks:

Konica Minolta DiMAGE A1 Works GR8 5 0 MP Digital Camera Black A 1 0043325993824 | eBay

Non-working...they're selling for about $50 bucks.

So what you REALLY have is NOT a $1000 paperweight...but a $50 paperweight!

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
TheCloudPainter

Mac Specs: Die-hard Apple-head! 333 MHz grape, 350 MHz indigo blue, 2.1 GHz G5 & 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

Hmmmm, that's supposed to help?
not...
(Nice newfy, btw)

Seriously - your customer service is really lacking...

Obviously I'm looking for work-arounds, not some slack-a** sarcastic comments.

That may not be a lot of money to you, but it is a hell of a lot to ME.

So call me cheeky, but I really believe you could be a little nicer to new members or maybe it's time to move on if you're that jaded. There's not a lot of conversing going on in the forum, as I see it... wouldn't hurt to engage, would it?

MOTTO TO LIVE BY..... Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty & well-preserved body... but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming... "WOW, what a helluva ride!"
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Hmmmm, that's supposed to help?
not...
(Nice newfy, btw)

Seriously - your customer service is really lacking...

Obviously I'm looking for work-arounds, not some slack-a** sarcastic comments.

That may not be a lot of money to you, but it is a hell of a lot to ME.

I understand I may be more attached to that camera than I should be...

So call me cheeky, but I really believe you could be a little nicer to new members or maybe it's time to move on if you're that jaded. There's not a lot of conversing going on in the forum, as I see it... wouldn't hurt to engage, would it?
The point I was trying to make above is...a 10 year-old digital camera originally purchased for $1000...is now worth MAYBE $50 bucks. And if the CCD in this camera is non-operational...what you have is a 10 year-old digital camera that doesn't work...and will probably cost more to repair than it is worth.

So you don't have a $1000 paperweight...you have a $50 or less paperweight!

On top of all this is...for about $75-$100 bucks...you can probably purchase a brand new digital camera that most likely EXCEEDS your 10 year-old camera in every technical way!!!

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
TheCloudPainter

Hmmmm,
not so much argumentative, as wanting answers, not cheesy lil jabs.
Such as - can a camera repair shop order this CCD in?
Have others experienced anything like this?

So please - lay off the caps and all the !!!
This isn't a 17 yr old spoiled kid here...
I did mention in my introduction - please be gentle with me... LoL~

QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2009 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

You could try calling around a few camera shops and see if anyone can resurrect that camera with a new CCD ... just understand that the bill will be somewhere in the range of buying a new and better camera. Still, I understand that you don't just want to throw it away.

If there are no local camera shops that can help, give B&H photo in NYC a call ... they will give you the straight truth on whether its doable and where to go. Don't hold your breath, but good luck.

Plus the good news is that a better camera will be much cheaper to buy if you have to go that route.
QUOTE Thanks
Doug b

Doug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5

Wow, I'd say you're lucky that Nick was as nice as he was given that he was just trying to help! I'd not have been nearly as nice. And what's this about "customer service" ? This isn't a store, and you don't have to pay to get advice from anyone here.

He was being honest, and he was using lighthearted humor to try and make you feel better about your situation. The first thing you should have made note of, is that you can purchase the same exact camera in "gr8" condition for $80. The money you'd spend on trying to repair your "paperweight", is likely going to exceed that much.

Christ on a pony.
QUOTE Thanks
TheCloudPainter

Thank you all for your input...
even the christ on a pony

Hard day for me yesterday -
my stallion I've had for over 25 years may be put to sleep this AM... (He's 31 yrs old...)
Hence, my posting about transferring VHS to DvDs, camera repairs, etc...
The last barrel races I did on him are on that one VHS tape...
I can't take pics of him with my paperweight...

Sorry if I came off cheeky & snotty - now you know the rest of the story~

PS:
as good as that camera was, I doubt I could afford to replace it with one of similar quality
It's been a while since I've checked them all out though...

QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

Quote:
. . .
as good as that camera was, I doubt I could afford to replace it with one of similar quality
It's been a while since I've checked them all out though...
Sorry about your horse, always tough to lose a loved one (furred or otherwise).

But, on your camera, honestly you would be hard pressed to find a modern camera that wasn't much better quality than your ancient Konica. I have owned many point and shoot cameras over the years (starting with an Agfa that produced 64K image files).

I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .
QUOTE Thanks
Doug b

Doug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5

It's understandable that you'd be upset at the loss of such a beautiful friend, and I'm sorry for that loss. I understand what that is like. Sometimes our pets or animals in general are more dear to us than actual flesh and blood family members!

Don't forget however, that even though this is just an internet forum, a good amount of us here have dealt with, and will deal with the death of a family member or good friend/pet etc.. This is life. And we can share these experiences together, rather than harbor the pain and have it manifest in the form of silly forum bickering. There's always a solution...

That said, why not just purchase that used one from eBay for $80? I don't know what kind of a budget you have to deal with, but if you don't mind buying used, you can get a better camera than the one you had for a lot less money these days. If you want to go the used route, I use KEH.com all the time for used glass, and have even picked up some great film bodies from them. Customer service is outstanding *they're based in GA* and have a 30 day return period if you're not satisfied.

You can pick up a Nikon or Canon DSLR for under $500 easily, that will surely best the DiMage you owned.

Doug
QUOTE Thanks
TheCloudPainter

ancient?
*cries*

yeah - I guess I get attached to equipment/technology and won't let go...
hence, the starting of an iMac museum... LoL~
Much to the horror & chagrin of a few people, I won't let them go... LoL~

QUOTE Thanks
Doug b

In fact, look at what I found:

Minolta Digital A 1 5 MEGAPIXEL WITH BATTERY & CHARGER (CF CARD ) DIGITAL AUTO FOCUS POINT AND SHOOT CAMERA - KEH.com

Excellent condition means it's like new. I've bought their "bargain" grade stuff and all that really meant was there were blemishes, but everything else was working perfectly well, mechanically speaking.

Doug
QUOTE Thanks
TheCloudPainter

Thanks Doug...

We escaped the Grim Reaper this morning~
severe osteoarthritis
we're going a different pain/anti-inflammatory medication & I'm doing DMSO poultice wraps 2xday for a week to see if this helps...
have to give him a realistic shot...
so relieved...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug b View Post
You can pick up a Nikon or Canon DSLR for under $500 easily, that will surely best the DiMage you owned.
Seriously? wow... didn't realize they were that inexpensive...

I think I got the DiMage because it did everything the cameras did w/o the interchangeable lenses without the hassle.

QUOTE Thanks
TheCloudPainter

THAT'S IT! That's my baby!
ROFL!

okay - now is this tossing good money after bad?
I mean - what would a comparable camera of today's standards be?
I am a little lost in this world...
sorry...

funny comment on the reviews there...
"Cons: fairly complicated with steep learning curve, not for the casual shooter."
This was *definitely* one of the most complicated cameras I've ever learned to use... LoL~

Maybe time to graduate to a better system?
I know it's all up to the user's specs, but is something like this a good starting place?
http://www.keh.com/camera/Sony-Digit...990965940?r=FE

QUOTE Thanks
Doug b

So long as he isn't suffering for the sake of having him around, that's good news, glad to hear it.

Getting into the DSLR game is something you should look into more carefully before making any decisions. For one thing, you should know what you like to shoot, and at what focal length you shoot at the most.

Picking up just any kit lens to go along with a body isn't necessarily the best thing to do. Kit lenses are usually those of the zoom variety eg; 18-55mm 18-105mm 35-70mm etc.. But the problem with those is that they are slow, and usually not of the best optical quality. Newer kit lenses are much better than they used to be, but still slow. When I say slow, I'm referring to their maximum aperture. Most kit lenses are something like f2.8-f5.6. I won't go into what that means, but will instead tell you to pick up a book called "Understanding Exposure" by Bryan Peterson. It's a staple in the industry, and written in layman terms.

Check out B&H photo or Adorama for used gear as well. They're both very reputable dealers (I shop them both here locally in NYC all the time. You can find amazing deals on their websites. Here's B&H's used Nikon stuff: Used Nikon DSLR| B&H Photo Video

Here's Sony's stuff. Sony makes excellent sensors and great cameras too: Used sony DSLR| B&H Photo Video

Just do some research and you'll find a plethora of good deals and info out there.

Doug
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Photos from email to iPhoto | Iphoto create photo book »