New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Images, Graphic Design, and Digital Photography Discussion of all things graphics.

Document Scanners for the Mac

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

forrie

forrie is on a distinguished road

I'm interested in a document scanner for the Mac. I have seen the Fujitsu ScanSnap -- I think it's way overpriced for what it is.

I wonder what others' experience has been with other models, etc?

Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
osxx

osxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3

No experience with it but there is Neat Desk. http://store.neat.com/site/neatco/store.html
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Neat Desk might work well, but in my opinion it's overpriced. You can do better (without the Neat Desk software) for what it costs. ($399.95)

See the following MacWorld Buyer's Guide for Document Scanners: LINK
QUOTE Thanks
Prestige593

Prestige593 is on a distinguished road

I am also in the market for a document scanner. I have done some research and find that a number of people are having problems on MAC with the Neatdesk software. I also checked out the Mac World buyer's guide for document scanners and see that they really don't "recommend" and specific unit, but only give tips on what to look for. They do show a few units but don't expand on them. Does anyone own or use any of these units who can give us a "first hand" review of the hardware and software? What does the software do anyway? Does it automatically file the document for you, or does it just convert it to a PDF and you file it yourself? Any info will help.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

These days I mostly need to scan some receipts and business cards, that sort of thing.

For the latter purpose, I have ABBYY Business Card Reader on my iPhone. Take a picture of the item, the program pulls the relevant info and puts it into Contacts.

For receipts and other items, I'm currently using GeniusScan which does not do OCR but does straighten, crop and save images of items again using the iPhone's camera. There is quite likely to be something much better specifically for receipts out there, I haven't hunted around yet.
QUOTE Thanks
cradom

cradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21in iMac core2 Duo- 13in macbook - 10.9 on both

May not be what you want but I use a flatbed HP Scanjet G3110 and Vuescan software. Don't really remember how much it cost but was under $200.
The HP software is ok but not for what I wanted. If you scan everything to pdf and use something like PDFPen Pro it does a pretty good job.

Craig Domingue - resident redneck.
Never argue with an idiot. He will only bring you down to his level and beat you with experience., George Carlin
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iphoto corrupted? | Gimp Problems »