Thread: resize picture

resize picture
    I remember sometime ago I had a picture that was few MB in size and I resaved it so the file size was around 40kb. When I was resaving it I recall seeing and using a horizontal slider, that, as I moved it from side to side it showed what the resulting file size would be. I can no longer find where I used that, but found it to be a useful tool. Does anyone know what I am talking about and where it is?

Fort Worth, Texas
    27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, iPhone 6+, 3 iPods, El Capitan
    You may have been using the Preview application on your Mac. Have you tried it again with Preview? (You may have also been using iPhoto.)

I don't use iPhoto for anything so I tried Preview again. When I click save as and choose JPEG as the format, the slider is there, but I don't see the changing file size like I described in orig post. Could my "issue" have anything to do with moving from 10.6 to 10.8? I did that just a few months ago.

Waiting for a mate . . .
    21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM & 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 8GB RAM 10.10.3, iPhone5 & iPad Air 2 iOS 8.3, ATV3
    Quote Originally Posted by dnbreaks View Post
    Could my "issue" have anything to do with moving from 10.6 to 10.8? I did that just a few months ago.

Could well be. Its been that long since i have used 10.6, but i can vouch for what you are doing is correct and will significantly reduce the size of the image. Best thing is give it a go and then Get Info on the image to check if the size is what you want, ie ~ If you need it to fit in some Forums ridiculous size rules on their images M-F not included
    Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
    Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
    MoTM ☆☆☆

27" iMac, 13 MacBook Pro, 11" MacBook Air, 64G iPad, iPhone 4
    I think you are misunderstanding the reason for the slider in Preview. It is there to select the JPEG quality (or JPEG compression) not the picture file size. Clearly, if you have a high quality and resave it as a lower quality he result will be s smaller file but if it is already low quality it won't change.

I have checked my answer is correct by taking 260 KB graphic and resaving it as the lowest quality. The resulting file is 57 KB. Resaving the new file as the lowest quality still results in a file of 57 KB. Resaving the small file as the highest quality takes the file up to 319 KB but the picture is now no better than the small file as the computer cannot add detail that was not there.

The only real way to make a picture file smaller that is already at maximum compression is to make the picture itself smaller - which you can also do in preview.
    Andy C
    27" iMac (2102), 11" MacBook Air (2011), iPad Air, iPad Mini, Apple TV2, iPhone 6 Plus, iPod Classic 120Gb, Ipod Touch, Watch.

Thread Information