New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Images, Graphic Design, and Digital Photography Discussion of all things graphics.

best back up for grahic design?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

ShelleyFur

ShelleyFur is on a distinguished road

Hi there, I'm a graphic designer, print projects mostly. I use a lot of photos and graphics made in Illustrator. I need to buy an external hard drive for Time machine back up and storage of files. I've got an iMac OS X v 10.6.8 Processor: 2GHz Intel Cor 2 duo Memory: 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM

This is the one I'm looking at. Is it a good choice? Designers comments would be most appreciated

Seagate - Backup Plus 3TB External USB 3.0 Hard Drive
QUOTE Thanks
pwfletcher

pwfletcher is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Server 2.0GHz Intel Core i7 Quad Core, MacBook Pro Retina 2.6 GHz

I use a Synology DS-713+ NAS and love it ... lots of room and VERY quiet.
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

Going with a single HD for Time Machine is fine, but if that one HD fails then you lose your data. A lot of NAS' now can act as a HD for Time Machine as well. With this option, you can RAID on top of Time Machine. So your data is protected against single drive failures..

--
Regards
...Ashwin

Be sure to read the Community Guidelines | The more information you provide, the better answers you get, remember GIGO.
QUOTE Thanks
ShelleyFur

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwfletcher View Post
Thanks a lot I'll look at that one too!
QUOTE Thanks
ShelleyFur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz0rEdge View Post
Going with a single HD for Time Machine is fine, but if that one HD fails then you lose your data. A lot of NAS' now can act as a HD for Time Machine as well. With this option, you can RAID on top of Time Machine. So your data is protected against single drive failures..
Thanks a lot I'll consider that!
What about this one? iomega 35541 2TB EZ Media & Backup Center
QUOTE Thanks
infocusinc

infocusinc will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: '11 15.4, 2.2, 8gb MBP - '11 15.4, 2.0, 8gb MBP, 2x4gb Gen1 Nano, 8gb Gen3 Nano,

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwfletcher View Post
Synology 1812+ here. Wonderful device.

BUT....if you want true backup you need more than one device.

Files on you computer ( I use Raid 1 so I have a mirror drive)

Backup on a second device ( I like the Synology NAS since the files are available over he network)

A portable backup you can take offsite. I use Seagate 3TB externals and rotate them every few weeks to an offsite location.

BTW, I do this for my advertising photography images and personal data.

I do my Time Machine and Carbon copy clones to externals in a dock.

Craig Lamson - Craig Lamson Photo

www.craiglamson.com
QUOTE Thanks
ShelleyFur

Thanks a lot guys! I feel more educated now!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Photo confusion | Disappearing cursor »