New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Images, Graphic Design, and Digital Photography Discussion of all things graphics.

the best small camera in the world for professional photographer ?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

photoboy

photoboy is on a distinguished road

I would like to get something special but it is very hard to get straight advice:
these guys seem be telling the truth...
The top 5 best compact cameras in the world 2013 | Photography-Factory : London's best professional photographers
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoboy View Post
I would like to get something special but it is very hard to get straight advice...
It's not so much about getting "straight advice"...but as the thread title states..."best camera in the world for professional photographer"..."best" really means different things to different people.

I think the best way to shop for something is to make a list of what is most important to you...then purchase the camera that best meets those needs.

Also...if you're already a "professional photgrapher"...you probably already know more about cameras than the majority of us (although we do have some very knowledeagble photography folks here).

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
kepople

kepople is on a distinguished road

Yes, and the prices of the cameras in that article are all over the place. WOW...

BTW: I just got a sony RX100... The non full frame version of the RX1 in the article... I like it a lot. I have not had to sharpen many photos at all with it. 1" sensor and 20mp.
QUOTE Thanks
Lightcraftsman

Lightcraftsman is a jewel in the roughLightcraftsman is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 13-inch 2009 MacBook Pro, 2011 iMac 21.5-inch 2.5GHz, 16GB iPad 2, 160GB iPod Classic, iPhone 5

I got an RX100 for Christmas. I'm quite impressed with the file quality. I had one print blown up to 16x24 and it came out very nice.

"It's got to come from the heart, if you want it to work."
Guy Clark

Light Craftsman website
QUOTE Thanks
flowrider

flowrider is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac Mini i7, MBP 2.2GHz, Hackintosh (retired)

If you really want to treat yourself, the Leica M. Full frame 24mp. Amazing. Rangefinder coolness too!

Leica Camera AG - Photography - LEICA M
QUOTE Thanks
Lightcraftsman

Lightcraftsman is a jewel in the roughLightcraftsman is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 13-inch 2009 MacBook Pro, 2011 iMac 21.5-inch 2.5GHz, 16GB iPad 2, 160GB iPod Classic, iPhone 5

That camera is on my list, flowrider.

"It's got to come from the heart, if you want it to work."
Guy Clark

Light Craftsman website
QUOTE Thanks
KimD

KimD is on a distinguished road

As others had mentioned, decide on which features you need to have ... I bought a Leica VLux-4 about a month ago, and am loving it! If I hit the lottery, I will def add to my Leica collection! Good luck...
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoboy View Post
I would like to get something special but it is very hard to get straight advice:
these guys seem be telling the truth...
The top 5 best compact cameras in the world 2013 | Photography-Factory : London's best professional photographers
I don't think there is any best. The photographs that you produce should be your main concern.

Just use whatever you feel comfortable with.

死神はリンゴしか食べない。
QUOTE Thanks
peterbj7

peterbj7 is on a distinguished road

A camera is always a compromise, between portability, price, performance, durability etc. Every person's rationale will be different from most others. One key factor is low light performance, and how important it is to you.

As well as old film cameras, I have two DSLRs, both (by chance) Canon. A 5D and a 7D. For landscapes, building interiors etc I prefer the 5D. For sport and action generally and especially when I want to use a long lens I take the 7D. The lenses I have cost much more than the two camera bodies, and then there are flashes etc. You're buying into a system, and after a while you'll be committed to that system as a change would cost too much.

I also use compacts, and my favourite by far is a Canon G10. I've tried most of its successors and come back to the G10 as doing better what I want from it. I also have smaller "pocket" cameras by Canon, Casio and Pentax.

I also own, but they don't work any more, a couple of Sonys. It's a brand I will always steer clear of, as their customer service is abysmal and their products tend to fail pretty early. I have never owned a Nikon, though that seems to be the DSLR of choice down here. I might get one in due course - I particularly like the D800 - but I watch the warranty experiences of owners here and they're not encouraging.

This is a very harsh environment for cameras and lenses, and often neither lasts more than 2 years before major trouble. I have had no such trouble with my Canon gear (though others have had) but I know no-one with a Nikon who hasn't had major issues with bodies and/or lenses.

Just my personal experiences, not necessarily relevant to your wants.
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

FWIW I have a Nikon P7100 (the predecessor to their No. 2 pick). And while I like it a lot for reasons that are specific to MY needs, there is no way I would put it in the same class as the RX1, RX100, or Fuji.

EDIT: And I would agree with the sentiment that lists like these are basically worthless. Take some time to learn enough about photography and your own wants, then research and put together your own 'Best' list.

I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2009 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

There seem to be some solid choices on the list, and they defend their rationale well. But as stated above, if you're into a particular kind of photography (lets say sports for argument's sake) then that factor HEAVILY influences what choice to make.

I personally can't deal with cameras that don't have at least 10x zoom so everything on that list is a non-starter for me. If a camera doesn't have a swiveling LCD I can't use it. If I have to spend 10 minutes on each picture touching it up from the raw file, that's unacceptable.
QUOTE Thanks
flowrider

flowrider is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac Mini i7, MBP 2.2GHz, Hackintosh (retired)

The "best" camera can be summed up from this quote, "Your best camera is the one you have with you" (Andrew Harvey I believe). My choice in compact is my Samsung Note 2. It's always with me and infinitely lighter than either of my 3 DSLRs.

Now if I'm shooting for a client, the DSLR comes out. If you're shooting for pay, you are obligated to have the right equipment (notice I didn't say the best) and backups as well.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Memory card problem | When do you use Lightroom (If at all) »