New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Images, Graphic Design, and Digital Photography Discussion of all things graphics.

How do I open a MRI CD?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

hschaars

hschaars is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac mini, 2.26GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor; 3MB shared L2 cache, 4GB of DDR3 SDRAM;320GB SATA

I have an MRI CD of my back which I can't open on my Macmini running Snow Leopard 10.6.8. The read me instructions say it will work on MS XP. So is there a way to get it to work on my Mac or do I have to send the file to my netbook which runs XP? Or maybe I should just buy a stand alone CD player for my netbook because there have been times I really could have used a CD player.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

??? What file type is on the CD? Is it pictures, a video file, an application? If video, you might try VLC.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
hschaars

Mac Specs: Mac mini, 2.26GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor; 3MB shared L2 cache, 4GB of DDR3 SDRAM;320GB SATA

They are images, probably .jpg.
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

They might be JPGs, but these CDs usually have an application that runs to show you those images. If you can browse around on the CD and find the exact location of the JPGs or other image files, then you can load those in Preview..

--
Regards
...Ashwin

Be sure to read the Community Guidelines | The more information you provide, the better answers you get, remember GIGO.
QUOTE Thanks
hschaars

I tried downloaded the viewer with no luck. I can't any .jpg files on the cd. There are IM000001, IM000002, etc. It looks they are Unix executable files.
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

My wife has a few of these CDs and they are not executable file, but rather binary files that are displayed by the various applications. It MIGHT be possible that they are BMP files, so you can try copying one of these IM000xx files to your Desktop and add (or replace) the extension to .bmp and see if that loads.

Otherwise, you'll have to use the application to load the images and that would require a Windows machine or VM..

--
Regards
...Ashwin

Be sure to read the Community Guidelines | The more information you provide, the better answers you get, remember GIGO.
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

This is an old thread that just got revived (edit: by a spammer, now gone, I see), but it happens to be a subject I actually know something about. Assuming the CD was made using DICOM standards, then any software that can read DICOM media will work. Here's a free open-source DICOM viewer:
OsiriX for Mac | MacUpdate

Virtually everyone makes these discs in a DICOM-compatible format, but it's possible to run across one that uses a proprietary format that can only be read by the included software. If that's the case (again, unlikely these days), then you are out of luck.

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
------
Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac » Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
------
Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.

Last edited by Lifeisabeach; 07-17-2014 at 09:00 PM.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iPhoto / Photoshop / RAW questions | new to mac and resizing photos. »