New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Images, Graphic Design, and Digital Photography Discussion of all things graphics.

Have Aperture. Gifted Lightroom and Elements. What to do?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Lonomakana

Lonomakana is on a distinguished road

Hi folks,

I just bought the newest version of Aperture. My gf bought me Lightroom 4 and Elements 11 for Christmas. I'm trying to figure out if I should keep one of them or trade them back in and buy Photoshop CS6 since I can get the Student/Teacher version ($229). I'm not a pro but I would like to have more creative tools. I like to take a lot of B+W. Which software would be the best pairing with Aperture?

Suggestions?
QUOTE Thanks
McYukon

McYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9

I wish I had your problems

Since you seem to want to use Aperture, Lightroom 4 can go.

Both Elements and Photoshop CS6 will work equally well with Aperture, so that will come down to choice.

Most of the how-to guides on the internet will be done in Photoshop so that may have a deciding factor since it will make it easier to follow them.

Lots, and I mean lots of high quality plugins for Photoshop. You can easily spend 2x as much on plugins as on Ps itself. For example: Topaz Photoshop Plug-In Bundle

Use the reputation system if a post helps you!
Mac Forums IRC Channel - Help build it by hanging out with us
The next sentence is true. The previous sentence is false.
QUOTE Thanks
Lonomakana

Thanks for the reply, Alex

I'm mainly trying to clean my photos up and clone things out instead of cropping. More filter and effect options would be nice. The option of plug-ins like the Topaz one look awesome. I might see if I can get a 30 day trial of Photoshop on Mac to see if its worth the time to learn it.

Anyone else with an opinion on this is welcome to reply.
QUOTE Thanks
paul lan

paul lan is on a distinguished road

i do have the Ps, Aperture and Lightroom3. I am more at else with Lightroom rather than Aperture, after my work on LR i go on PS to make some more adjustments especially for cloning.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2009 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

If you are happy with Aperture, keep PS Elements and return the Lightroom, since it and Aperture are essentially the same thing.
QUOTE Thanks
Lonomakana

Thanks for the advice. I ended up getting refunds and buying an external hard drive. I'm thinking about buying the Nik plug-in bundle since I can get it 1/2 off with the education discount. But first, I need to start taking better pictures that don't need so much editing.
QUOTE Thanks
raybce

raybce is on a distinguished road

Good day,

Keep Lightroom and buy Photoshop. (At that price, well, cheap.)

Am using both since each offer different goodies.

Good luck

Raybce
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Artboard | Focus Stacking »