New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Images, Graphic Design, and Digital Photography Discussion of all things graphics.

iPhoto or Lion update has stopped some pictures from 'working'

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Poptasticdave

Poptasticdave is on a distinguished road

Can anyone help please?

I have an iMac running OS X Lion and iPhoto - now upgraded to latest version but until 2 days ago running the iLife '09 version.

I have over 26,000 pictures in iPhoto / on the computer.

I've been using this set up since 2008 and not experienced any problems until 2 days ago.
My 'photos mainly come from my Nikon D3000 camera or from my Motorola XT910 SmartPhone.

When I import photos I always do it by connecting the camera or 'phone via USB and importing directly to iPhoto.

Two days ago I installed the latest upgrades to OS X Lion.

Yesterday I connected up the XT910 to import 23 pictures I'd taken.

iPhoto won't import them, telling me that each one is "in an unrecognised format", but hey are just jepgs like the approx 750 others I've imported from this 'phone before.

More worryingly, I looked back at an iPhoto event from July 8th, which contains 56 'photos imported from the XT910, which DID work fine, and now when I scroll down the event in iPhoto, the thumbnails briefly flash up and then are replaced by a blank space. Clicking each one to open it brings up the warning triangle with the exclamation mark in it, but no picture.

However, very oddly, another iPhoto event, from July 6th, containing 12 'photo's from the XT910 still works fine.

Yesterday I upgraded iPhoto to the latest version, in the hope that this might cure things, but it has made no change at all.

I've tried opening the images on the 'phone and from teh July 8th event in other software apps, including Preview and a free copy of GIMP, but they are not recognised there either. If it was only the images on the 'phone that were not working I'd think that I needed to look to the 'phone settings or to a fault withe th 'phone, but the iPhoto event from July 8th has made me think that this is an issue with either the OS X Lion update or with iPhoto.

Anyone got any ideas please?
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

I don't have an answer for you, however, unless you're making timely backups, you may wind up losing those 26,000 photos. We see so many folks whose hard drives crashed and they lose all their photos. If you are already in the habit of making backups, that's good. Hang on until someone has an answer for you.

And Welcome to the Mac Forums.
QUOTE Thanks
Poptasticdave

Poptasticdave is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
I don't have an answer for you, however, unless you're making timely backups, you may wind up losing those 26,000 photos. We see so many folks whose hard drives crashed and they lose all their photos. If you are already in the habit of making backups, that's good. Hang on until someone has an answer for you.

And Welcome to the Mac Forums.
Thanks for the welcome.

I do daily time machine backups to a Time Capsule, so my photo's should be relatively safe and I'm pretty confident that the issue isn't cased by an corrupted files or failing HDD's.

Hope someone has some ideas .......
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poptasticdave View Post
Thanks for the welcome.

I do daily time machine backups to a Time Capsule, so my photo's should be relatively safe and I'm pretty confident that the issue isn't cased by an corrupted files or failing HDD's.

Hope someone has some ideas .......
I wouldn't completely rule out the possibility of file corruptions or a failing drive. You could have some cache or permission issues just for starters. I recommend grabbing Onyx and run its full suite of maintenance and cache cleaning tools. If that doesn't fix the problem, then look harder at the drive. Here's a post of mine detailing the best ways to do so:
Too much space used in Hard drive

Have you tried importing your photos directly to a folder rather than iPhoto? You can change this using Image Capture, found somewhere in your Applications folder.

EDIT: also… try repairing the iPhoto library.
iPhoto 6 and later: Rebuilding the iPhoto library

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu). Also advise us if you have any antivirus or "cleaning" software installed on your Mac. If you are using MacKeeper, you are hereby advised to uninstall it.
------
Links to commonly recommended software and instructions: Onyx | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | How to reveal the User Library
------
Having issues with Safari? Adware is on the rise. See this guide on how to remove it: The Safe Mac Adware Removal Guide
------
Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Embracing The Moment | iPhoto what album is a photo in »