Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Photoshop

Photoshop
    Hey everyone! I just bought a MacBook Air and I love it, I have a question which I hope someone knows the answer to..is there any type of photoshop for a mac?? maybe one thats not $800?

Specs:
    27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 6S, iPod Nano 7th GeniPad 3
    Welcome to Mac-Forums

Photoshop is photoshop and will cost you whatever Adobe is charging for it. You can however try the freely available GIMP or the very capable of Pixelmator..

There is also Photoshop Elements for $79.99 that does photo manipulation. What are you needs exactly?
    --
    Regards
    ...Ashwin

Be sure to read the Community Guidelines | The more information you provide, the better answers you get, remember GIGO.

Well I make jewelry and candles and I have a website I have to make a logo and banner for and I used I have photoshop on a dell, do you think elements can do that?

Specs:
    My quick run through Photoshop Elements seemed to indicate it was meant primarily to deal with photos (I could be wrong)..

GIMP has a very compatible feature set to Photoshop, so at the least you owe it to yourself to try it out (it is free after all) and see if you can make do with it. It can load Photoshop's PSD files no problem, so you can re-use the files you've been working with before and continue..
    --
    Regards
    ...Ashwin

Be sure to read the Community Guidelines | The more information you provide, the better answers you get, remember GIGO.

Specs:
    Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
    Photoshop elements is a good program, its main omission is lack of support for CMYK images, but that's not a problem

I am a heavy photoshop user, but find that pixelmater is a great substitute for most jobs, especially as its both cheaper and much faster
    Member of the Month September 2008 & August 2012 | Found advice useful? use the rep system

Pixelmator is 14.99 from the MAS, so the worst you loose is 14,99..

I keep PM on the portable and PS on the desktop.
    Mac Pro 4,1 (Flashed to 5,1) W3570 3.2 Quad..48GB RAM..Gainward GTX 570 "Phantom."
    MacBook Pro 5,2..2.8Ghz C2D..8GB RAM..240GB Vertex +

Specs:
    Mid-2012 MBP (16GB, 1TB HD), Monoprice 24-inch second monitor, iPhone 5s 32GB, iPad Air 2 64GB
    Telling a user that is clearly at a basic level to use GIMP is like telling a student driver to go fly a 747 safely. That's really bad advice IMO, GIMP is not in any way "comparable to Photoshop" except in the sense that a Matchbox car and a real car are both cars.

I think Chris' suggestion of Pixelmator is probably the best suggestion for this user.

Specs:
    Quote Originally Posted by chas_m View Post
    Telling a user that is clearly at a basic level to use GIMP is like telling a student driver to go fly a 747 safely. That's really bad advice IMO, GIMP is not in any way "comparable to Photoshop" except in the sense that a Matchbox car and a real car are both cars.

I think Chris' suggestion of Pixelmator is probably the best suggestion for this user.
    I'm sorry, was there ANYTHING in the original posters remark about their Photoshop usage which indicated there were at a basic level? I think not, and being a basic PS user myself, I can do the same basic things in GIMP since the tools match up nicely.

To top that, GIMP is free to try..if it indeed it turns out to be too hard to use, there is Pixelmator and Photoshop Elements that I _ALSO_ suggested in my original post..

If I had ONLY mentioned GIMP and moved on that'd be one thing, but since I didn't..what exactly were you trying to make a point about?
    --
    Regards
    ...Ashwin

Specs:
    Mid-2012 MBP (16GB, 1TB HD), Monoprice 24-inch second monitor, iPhone 5s 32GB, iPad Air 2 64GB
    I apologise. I didn't see your first post, only your second ... which didn't mention the other programs. My fault.

Adobe will allow a FREE download of Photoshop CS2. That should be more than adequate to resolve any issue you have.

Specs:
    2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.8.5
    Quote Originally Posted by robpopper View Post
    Adobe will allow a FREE download of Photoshop CS2. That should be more than adequate to resolve any issue you have.
    In case you didn't notice...this is a 2 year-old thread. The original poster has also not visited Mac-Forums in the past 2 years. And most likely has either found a solution...or moved on.

Finally...CS 2 is a pretty old version of Adobe's Creative Suite package...and I'm pretty sure that CS 2 is PPC Mac only. Which means only Mac Users running OS 10.6 (with Rosetta) or earlier OS versions can run CS 2.

OS 10.7, 10.8, or 10.9 will not run CS 2.

- Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

Specs:
    L2012 Mini, i7 2.6Ghz, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD(fusion), BenQ 32" 2.5k QHD Display
    Pixelmator is a great choice and its far better then Ps Elements. Also Pixelmator has FULL16bit color support through out every channel now. Photoshop Elements does not.

That said, Adobe has made the Photographers $9.99 package permeant. That includes both Lightroom 5.5 and Photoshop CC 2014 are few other minor programs. In addition when new versions or upgrades are released, you get the latest and greatest at no extra cost. Your billed $9.99USD +Tax monthly as long as you sign up for a year contract. Its a awesome deal, especially since people spend more on online games per month..

Joe's Photo & Video Channel on YouTube
    Lightroom, Photoshop, FCP, Gear Reviews and more...
    ***If someone helps you, please don't forget to use the reputation system.***

Pigoo3, whoops I didn't notice the date of the post... Next time I'll read a bit more carefully.

Specs:
    2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.8.5
    Quote Originally Posted by robpopper View Post
    Pigoo3, whoops I didn't notice the date of the post... Next time I'll read a bit more carefully.
    Sometimes it's ok to "wake-up" an old thread. In this case...the OP hasn't been around for 2 years...and probably wanted/needed...an immediate solution.

- Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

I'm sure you're right. Just trying to contribute and will be lots more observant with further posts.

Thread Information