New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Images, Graphic Design, and Digital Photography Discussion of all things graphics.

Photoshop

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

amsahlberg

amsahlberg is on a distinguished road

Hey everyone! I just bought a MacBook Air and I love it, I have a question which I hope someone knows the answer to..is there any type of photoshop for a mac?? maybe one thats not $800?
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

Welcome to Mac-Forums

Photoshop is photoshop and will cost you whatever Adobe is charging for it. You can however try the freely available GIMP or the very capable of Pixelmator..

There is also Photoshop Elements for $79.99 that does photo manipulation. What are you needs exactly?

--
Regards
...Ashwin

Be sure to read the Community Guidelines | The more information you provide, the better answers you get, remember GIGO.
QUOTE Thanks
amsahlberg

amsahlberg is on a distinguished road

Well I make jewelry and candles and I have a website I have to make a logo and banner for and I used I have photoshop on a dell, do you think elements can do that?
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

My quick run through Photoshop Elements seemed to indicate it was meant primarily to deal with photos (I could be wrong)..

GIMP has a very compatible feature set to Photoshop, so at the least you owe it to yourself to try it out (it is free after all) and see if you can make do with it. It can load Photoshop's PSD files no problem, so you can re-use the files you've been working with before and continue..

--
Regards
...Ashwin

Be sure to read the Community Guidelines | The more information you provide, the better answers you get, remember GIGO.
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

Photoshop elements is a good program, its main omission is lack of support for CMYK images, but that's not a problem

I am a heavy photoshop user, but find that pixelmater is a great substitute for most jobs, especially as its both cheaper and much faster

Member of the Month September 2008 & August 2012 | Found advice useful? use the rep system
QUOTE Thanks
Germany_chris

Germany_chris has a spectacular aura about

Pixelmator is 14.99 from the MAS, so the worst you loose is 14,99..

I keep PM on the portable and PS on the desktop.

Mac Pro 4,1 (Flashed to 5,1) W3570 3.2 Quad..48GB RAM..Gainward GTX 570 "Phantom."
MacBook Pro 5,2..2.8Ghz C2D..8GB RAM..240GB Vertex +
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Telling a user that is clearly at a basic level to use GIMP is like telling a student driver to go fly a 747 safely. That's really bad advice IMO, GIMP is not in any way "comparable to Photoshop" except in the sense that a Matchbox car and a real car are both cars.

I think Chris' suggestion of Pixelmator is probably the best suggestion for this user.
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas_m View Post
Telling a user that is clearly at a basic level to use GIMP is like telling a student driver to go fly a 747 safely. That's really bad advice IMO, GIMP is not in any way "comparable to Photoshop" except in the sense that a Matchbox car and a real car are both cars.

I think Chris' suggestion of Pixelmator is probably the best suggestion for this user.
I'm sorry, was there ANYTHING in the original posters remark about their Photoshop usage which indicated there were at a basic level? I think not, and being a basic PS user myself, I can do the same basic things in GIMP since the tools match up nicely.

To top that, GIMP is free to try..if it indeed it turns out to be too hard to use, there is Pixelmator and Photoshop Elements that I _ALSO_ suggested in my original post..

If I had ONLY mentioned GIMP and moved on that'd be one thing, but since I didn't..what exactly were you trying to make a point about?

--
Regards
...Ashwin

QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

I apologise. I didn't see your first post, only your second ... which didn't mention the other programs. My fault.
QUOTE Thanks
robpopper

robpopper is on a distinguished road

Adobe will allow a FREE download of Photoshop CS2. That should be more than adequate to resolve any issue you have.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by robpopper View Post
Adobe will allow a FREE download of Photoshop CS2. That should be more than adequate to resolve any issue you have.
In case you didn't notice...this is a 2 year-old thread. The original poster has also not visited Mac-Forums in the past 2 years. And most likely has either found a solution...or moved on.

Finally...CS 2 is a pretty old version of Adobe's Creative Suite package...and I'm pretty sure that CS 2 is PPC Mac only. Which means only Mac Users running OS 10.6 (with Rosetta) or earlier OS versions can run CS 2.

OS 10.7, 10.8, or 10.9 will not run CS 2.

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
Exodist

Exodist is just really niceExodist is just really niceExodist is just really niceExodist is just really nice
Mac Specs: L2012 Mini, i7 2.6Ghz, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD, dual 23" LED Displays

Pixelmator is a great choice and its far better then Ps Elements. Also Pixelmator has FULL16bit color support through out every channel now. Photoshop Elements does not.

That said, Adobe has made the Photographers $9.99 package permeant. That includes both Lightroom 5.5 and Photoshop CC 2014 are few other minor programs. In addition when new versions or upgrades are released, you get the latest and greatest at no extra cost. Your billed $9.99USD +Tax monthly as long as you sign up for a year contract. Its a awesome deal, especially since people spend more on online games per month..

NEW!! Exodist Photography Video Blog
***If someone helps you, please don't forget to use the reputation system.***
QUOTE Thanks
robpopper

Pigoo3, whoops I didn't notice the date of the post... Next time I'll read a bit more carefully.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by robpopper View Post
Pigoo3, whoops I didn't notice the date of the post... Next time I'll read a bit more carefully.
Sometimes it's ok to "wake-up" an old thread. In this case...the OP hasn't been around for 2 years...and probably wanted/needed...an immediate solution.

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
robpopper

I'm sure you're right. Just trying to contribute and will be lots more observant with further posts.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Damselflies | Good application to organize photos in mac? »