New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Images, Graphic Design, and Digital Photography Discussion of all things graphics.

trying learn about digital photo

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

razekworkz

im new to the mac world , i just got a nice powerbook g4. I have been taking pictures for awhile and now that i have a good source to store them i would like to play with 'em. i would like to find a software that allows me to edit and resize for web uploading. something that allows me to use my imagination and turn it into visual unique creations.
Please help me out in finding the tool i need.
QUOTE Thanks
macAttack

macAttack is a jewel in the roughmacAttack is a jewel in the roughmacAttack is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iBook

i think, for your needs, all you need is photoshop elements 3, it will let you play around with pictures and its a great app!
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

trpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano

http://www.rmullinsphotos.com/ I did all of that with photoshop (slideshows included)

Don't forget to use the new User Reputation System
QUOTE Thanks
razekworkz

very nice, well done men!
i've been reading about the creative suite. it seems to be very helpful set of tools but since its kind of pricy i want to hear what the people using it thiks about it, is it worth spending that kind of money for it?
QUOTE Thanks
alejandrico

alejandrico is on a distinguished road

I prefer GIMP
Although you will need to learn to use it
QUOTE Thanks
misskool

misskool is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Powerbook G4 1.67GHz 15.2" Superdrive 1.5GB RAM

Another vote for GIMP and it's free.If you bought a powerbook it should have come with graphic converter which is pretty good in itself. A bit clunky but should start you off immediately.
QUOTE Thanks
Maul

Maul is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by razekworkz
very nice, well done men!
i've been reading about the creative suite. it seems to be very helpful set of tools but since its kind of pricy i want to hear what the people using it thiks about it, is it worth spending that kind of money for it?

Yeah, the adobe creative suite is a tad bit pricey, but if your just wanting to do photo editing you can buy the Photoshop software alone for $600. Still pricey.
I use CS2 for school and work. I love it! Easy to use, can create just about anything.
You might be able to find a 30 day trial some where on the net.
QUOTE Thanks
Ghostshadow

Ghostshadow is a jewel in the roughGhostshadow is a jewel in the roughGhostshadow is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iBook G3 - You'll be missed.

elements is a little cheaper, adobe does have trials on there website, you could try elements out before you make the purchase. i think that would be a wise choice, try before you buy.

QUOTE Thanks
razekworkz

i found the creative suite on an academic store for $440, they require student proof. is this the same thing as the one u buy from adobe for almost $1200?
QUOTE Thanks
Odin_aa

Odin_aa is a jewel in the roughOdin_aa is a jewel in the roughOdin_aa is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: PowerMac G5 2.3 ghz 6.5 GB ram 20" cinema display ..15" Macbook Pro 2.33 Core 2 Duo 2 Gig RAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by razekworkz
i found the creative suite on an academic store for $440, they require student proof. is this the same thing as the one u buy from adobe for almost $1200?
Yes, the academic version is the same software. It may not come with all of the manuals, however there is no difference in software.

I would suggest downloading the free 30 day trial of elements, it may be all you need. You can also then download the free 30 day trial of CS2. The entire suite contains much software, you may or may not have uses for the rest. Adobe Bridge is a great tool for sorting and thumbing through RAW files.
QUOTE Thanks
christm

christm is a jewel in the roughchristm is a jewel in the roughchristm is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: ibook g4, imac 2ghz c2d, mbp 2.4ghz c2d - 10.5.1

photoshop 7.0 and image ready 7.0 (with adobe)

i use it a bit
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Photo Shop Question | Anyone know where to... »