lost iphoto and images

I recently transferred iphoto along with all the images in it, from my macbook, to a 1TB Seagate external hard drive as it contained 28000 images and my macbook was down to the last 14GB.

Everything was fine for about a month, I could plug in the external hard drive and access iphoto and see all the images fine, and I could plug in my camera and download the images direct to iphoto in the hard drive.

But a couple of weeks ago something happened, I don't know what, and now I can get into iphoto. I plug in the external hard drive, open up iphoto, it bounces in the dock for a bit and then stops and nothing appears. Then when I hold down the mouse key on iphoto, the iphoto window drops down from the corner, displaying all the correct information- the amount of images, etc, when I hover over it, a blue border appears, and when I go to click on any part of the iphoto display, the window just disappears again.

I am really worried about all my images, I have nearly 30000 images on this hard drive and I have no idea why I can't access them! I don't know if it's the hard drive or the computer which is the problem. If anyone has advice I would be very grateful.. thank you!

Victoria, BC
    Mid-2012 MBP (16GB, 1TB HD), Monoprice 24-inch second monitor, iPhone 5s 32GB, iPad Air 2 64GB
    If you try launching iPhoto with the option key held down, what happens?

What should happen is you get a dialog box that asks if you want to open an alternate iPhoto library or create a new one. You would pick open an existing one and then manually direct it to where your regular iPhone library (on the external drive) is.

Does that fix the problem?

Thread Information