New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Images, Graphic Design, and Digital Photography Discussion of all things graphics.

iphoto problem

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

rippersroo

rippersroo is on a distinguished road

hi last week i had to have a new HD in my macbook.

When i got home my mac wouldnt set up using my external HD. so i set up as a new mac but went back to apple and they have now sorted the mac and it did set up from my external HD, except i cant get on iphoto, when i open it it comes up with this:

You can’t open your current photo library using this version of iPhoto.
You have made changes to your photo library using a newer version of iPhoto. Please quit and use the latest version of iPhoto.

And all i can do is click quit. I have done a software update and its still the same.
I dont know why it says this as i havent made changes using a newer version. i am running snow leopard and the man in Apple copied all my files from the external HD so they should all be on here. Everything else is working fine, i have all my settings and itunes, i just cannot access my photos!

Thankyou
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

Did you, by chance, upgrade to iPhoto 11 previous to this? If so, install 11 again from the app store.

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks
rippersroo

i dont know, i dont think so, would of been something i paid for? as i went on the app store and it says its £10 and i know i definately have not bought that before. i though upgrades were free.
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by rippersroo View Post
i dont know, i dont think so, would of been something i paid for? as i went on the app store and it says its £10 and i know i definately have not bought that before. i though upgrades were free.
Updates are free, upgrades... Nope.

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2009 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Have you checked Software Update?
QUOTE Thanks
rippersroo

Yes I have
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2009 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Okay, what version of iPhoto is being reported when you select the program in Applications and choose "get info"?
QUOTE Thanks
rippersroo

its version: iPhoto 6.0.6,
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

Well, that was easy.

The current version is 9.2.3.

You need to buy an upgraded version of iPhoto. Luckily its only £10.
QUOTE Thanks
rippersroo

ok thanks, but why is it coming up with that message that i have made changes using a newer version when i have never had/bought a new version? thanks for your help
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

I can only guess, but perhaps at some point the techs opened your iPhoto library in their (newer) version of iPhoto to make sure everything was okay. Basically that is what I believe happened.
QUOTE Thanks
rippersroo

Ok thanks foryour help ill buy it now and give it a go! hope it works
QUOTE Thanks
rippersroo

So ive now got the new iphoto but now recieving this message

The photo library needs to be upgraded to work with this version of iPhoto.
Your photo library will not be readable by previous versions of iPhoto after the upgrade. The upgrade process for very large libraries may take an hour or more to complete.

I can then either click 'quit' or 'upgrade'
but now im scared i really dont want to lose my photos, does this mean my photos will be lost in the upgrade?
If i can and do do an upgrade though, how can i do that?
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, iPhone 4, 3 iPods, OS X 10.9.2

Your photos will not be lost in the process, however, like anything else where Murphy's Law is present, make a backup first.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Looking for Logo and Business Card Design Software | lost iphoto and images »