New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Images, Graphic Design, and Digital Photography Discussion of all things graphics.

Aperture vs Photoshop

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

sandals1621

Ok, Been using Photoshop since 94, but Aperture looks intirguing. I especially like how it handles RAW images (the format I work in a lot now with my D70).

So lets get a good discussion going for it. What does each have that you like or dont like???
QUOTE Thanks
Tel

I don't think people should be comparing Aperture with Photoshop, they're totally different applications. I'm glad someone has finally made an application to handle the post-production side of things and by the looks of it they've done a good job.
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

trpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano

I am just angry that my year old iMac can't even run aperture. It looks like a fantastic program and would have bought it in a second if I could run it

Don't forget to use the new User Reputation System
QUOTE Thanks
Seamus

Being a professional photographer I dont think Aperature was meant to take Photoshops place or even compete.
When working in a studio enviroment, 99% of the time our cameras are attached to a Mac and we use software such as Phase Capture One and Leaf Capture to actually capture or take the photograph. I believe this is what Mac has intended with their Aperture software. The only drawback I see with Aperature, is that it doesnt support some of the higher end proffessional cameras such as the Phase H series or Imacon(now Hasseblad).
QUOTE Thanks
surfwax95

surfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15" Powerbook G4 • 24" iMac • iPhone 3Gs

Quick off-topic question to Seamus, doesn't Hasselblad now own Zeiss? Just curious and you seem to know your stuff.

On topic, comparing Aperture to Photoshop is comparing apple to oranges. They're not meant to do the same thing. Aperture and iPhoto are in the same boat, kind of. Compare Photoshop to Gimp.

I try to Command+Shift+/ when I can.
They're - Their - There | Two - Too - To | You're - Your | MAC - Mac
I was on the M-F honor roll for October, 2006.
QUOTE Thanks
coach_z

coach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: i dont have no mac's

i know nothing about aperture really but this is on the aperture website
Quote:
"Round-trip Photoshop support
Aperture lets you launch directly into Adobe Photoshop with a single-click. There, you can take advantage of Photoshop’s strong compositing and layer effects, and when you’re done making modifications, simply save the file. Your modified image will automatically be added to your Aperture library as a version of the original file, where you can manage it easily in a Project or Album."

MoTM honor roll...
when?
i dont remember
QUOTE Thanks
Seamus

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfwax95
Quick off-topic question to Seamus, doesn't Hasselblad now own Zeiss? Just curious and you seem to know your stuff.
I believe they are still two separate companys, although Hasselblad tags their name on many different photoghraphy items (like Imacon digital camera backs).
Carl Zeiss glass is some of the very best.
QUOTE Thanks
quanz

just like everyone said, it will be great to have both of them working together, however, I dont ahve problems wiht raw images in photoshop, but my post production usually involes a bit of burning/dogding and some small colour correction, so t is possible that i dont run into problems because of this
QUOTE Thanks
razekworkz

what can u do with aperture and what can u do with photoshop? if they were develop for different things what is that makes them both good in their own field?
im trying to get a photo editing aplication and i have been considering these two options so i would like to learn more about them
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

Off topic: Hasn't Zeiss (or at least the name) been bought out?

On topic: Aperture is an app for organisation and lossless batch manipulation / proofing of digital photos (specifically RAW images). Photoshop is for precise editing and manipulation of single images.

But I'd wait for version 2.0 - according to ars.technica Aperture 1.0 still has some pretty serious shortcomings:
http://arstechnica.com/reviews/apps/aperture.ars/1
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Mac OSX Tiger does not recognize CANON SD450? | COMPUTER RECOMMENDATION! Imac or Emac? »