New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Images, Graphic Design, and Digital Photography Discussion of all things graphics.

Photo Software?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Hwilensky

Hwilensky is on a distinguished road

Hey all -

I am a new mac user(a little over a month) and new to amateur photography (have had a DSLR for a year and would like to do more with it). Which software do you guys recommend?

Thanks,
Hwilensky
QUOTE Thanks
Sawday

Sawday is a jewel in the roughSawday is a jewel in the roughSawday is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 24" Aluminium, 2.8 GHz, 4Gb RAM. iPad2, iPhone4

That's a bit like saying "I'm getting a new car - what do you recommend?"

FIrst off, use iPhoto that is probably already on your mac. When you become more conversant with what exactly you want to do you might like to look at Photoshoop Elements of the many free editing programs out there (eg GIMP).

Happiness is not getting what you want, but wanting what you get.
QUOTE Thanks
Hwilensky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawday View Post
That's a bit like saying "I'm getting a new car - what do you recommend?"

FIrst off, use iPhoto that is probably already on your mac. When you become more conversant with what exactly you want to do you might like to look at Photoshoop Elements of the many free editing programs out there (eg GIMP).
Very funny!! Have to remember that line. What I would like to do is edit my pictures. Whether its cropping them, editing someone out of this picture, cleaning them up, editing something into the picture, sharpening the color, making pictures that are color and changing to black and white or sepia. Those kinds of things.

Thanks,
Hwilensky
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

iPhoto has some decent basic editing features, if you need more power look at Photshop Elements (PSE) or Pixelmator.

I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2009 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

With respect to my colleagues, there is no one program for everything. I like iPhoto a great deal for both photo management and simple clean-up duties, but I mostly round-trip things from there in to Photoshop and back (this a built-in feature of iPhoto). When you get into the really large photo libraries, Apple's Aperture or Adobe's Lightroom are aimed at people who are a little more serious in the photography than I am.

Pixelmator is a great little graphics program (and inexpensive!) that does a number of things PS does but it's not really Photoshop and not the best choice for serious photo editing due to its inability to use PS plug-ins. Elements has the ability to use some PS plugins but I really loathe the way it tries to take over organizing your photos.

ACDSee Pro for Mac (disclaimer: I used to work for them) make a great program for people who prefer to avoid the "vault" (ie program-assisted management) of their photos, and it has *insanely* powerful batch processing capability, EXIF/IPTC editing, and amazing editing tools, but again it's no Photoshop.
QUOTE Thanks
Hwilensky

Stupid thing, but I since I posted topic, I get emails when some one makes a comment. However, over the last two days I have gotten emails that someone made a comment, yet it is not updating in here. Is there something wrong?

Hwilensky
QUOTE Thanks
TheMacMania

TheMacMania is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBookPro, 15", iCore 7, 8GB, Thunderbolt Display

i have an iPhoto course (10 parts) on my blog - if you like a look: iPhoto - The Mac Mania

beside that i highly recommend photoshop elements - the one and only you need, you can already get it on the app store

My Mac Journey! Tips and Tricks I share with you - http://www.themacmania.com
QUOTE Thanks
dmunroe

dmunroe is on a distinguished road

I have aperture 3 and lightroom 3 on my 2 macs..I mainly use aperture .. I have photoshop on my pc but very seldom use it ..
QUOTE Thanks
Hwilensky

What is the main difference between a software program like photoshop elements and Aperture? What would be some of the pro's and cons?

Thanks
Hwilensky
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

Aperture, iPhoto and Adobe Lightroom are all photo management APPs with some editing capabilities.

Adobe PSE, Photoshop and Pixelmator are photo editing APPs (with some barebones management capabilities). They are intended to supplement each other. So Adobe PSE is not meant as an alternative to Aperture but to provide extended editting power

I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .
QUOTE Thanks
Stretch

Stretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razormac View Post
Aperture, iPhoto and Adobe Lightroom are all photo management APPs with some editing capabilities.

Adobe PSE, Photoshop and Pixelmator are photo editing APPs (with some barebones management capabilities). They are intended to supplement each other. So Adobe PSE is not meant as an alternative to Aperture but to provide extended editting power
I'll disagree some. Lightroom and possible Aperture (I don't use it so not positive) are pretty extensive editors as well as being photo managers.

Blog and Photo Gallery: http://philolin.me/

Currently running OS X 10.10
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

I would agree that Lightroom and Aperture both have pretty decent editting capabilities. I use Aperture for most things, but there are times when I need the additional tools and capabilities of PSE, so I have it set up as my external editor (too cheap to buy full fledged Photoshop).

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Some questions from a newbie | reference image library organizer? »