New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Images, Graphic Design, and Digital Photography Discussion of all things graphics.

iphoto as default for jpef files

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

dan243

dan243 is on a distinguished road

Hi Folks,

Simple question which has stumped me for AGES.

How do i make iPhoto my default program for opening JPEG files?

Thanks

Dan
QUOTE Thanks
inflexion

inflexion will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 12" 1Ghz PB 768Mb 10.4.5 30Gb Video iPod 40Gb 3G iPod 1Gb iPod Shuffle

ctrl + click or right click
open with
other
select iPhoto
tick Always open with

job done

Apple, think different
QUOTE Thanks
le premier

le premier is on a distinguished road

That means doing it for every single .jpg image tho' doesn't it, or can you somewhere else select i photo as the default viewer for all images?
One thing though...if i photo is selected as the viewer, each time you open a .jpg image, i phot starts up and imports the image(s) directly. Maybe not what you want!
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

No, the tick in the 'always open this filetype with this app' checkbox will sort that issue.
QUOTE Thanks
Tel

Alternative way:

Right click > get info > expand the 'open with,' box > select iPhoto > click change all

This will make any .jpeg, or any other file you like, open with the selected app every-time.
QUOTE Thanks
ellsin

Maybe I've got a problem?? This is what happens when I try to select new image viewer.
get info>expand the 'open with' box>select Photoshop>click change all>new window opens with "are you sure....etc'>click continue>"open window" reverts to "Preview"?????
QUOTE Thanks
dtownley1

dtownley1 is a jewel in the roughdtownley1 is a jewel in the roughdtownley1 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: macbook

can I just ask, is there a problem with using something like preview? Once your iPhoto library gets quite large, it does become a little frustrating to open the app just to view a jpeg. I'd find it more convient to preview once or so with preview, and then add to iPhoto if I wanted.

Also, why do you choose photoshop from open with, when you want iPhoto?

Here's a screen of what I did to set it - it worked perfectly for me.
•click once on photo
•apple+i
•choose Open With (iPhoto probably won't be there, so select other and browse)
•click change all and then OK
and that's it.

QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

dtownley1: there are two people asking questions, one person wants to use iPhoto, the other Photoshop.

Agreed though, both iPhoto and Photoshop will take quite some time to load up just to quickly view an image.
QUOTE Thanks
dtownley1

dtownley1 is a jewel in the roughdtownley1 is a jewel in the roughdtownley1 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aptmunich View Post
dtownley1: there are two people asking questions, one person wants to use iPhoto, the other Photoshop.

Agreed though, both iPhoto and Photoshop will take quite some time to load up just to quickly view an image.
ah, didn't notice that. Sorry guys. I saw the words "maybe I've got a problem" of Ellsin. "Maybe I've got a problem too" would have made it clear for me. Apologies.

QUOTE Thanks
ellsin

My apologies, again , for confusion produced by my posting the same message twice. Personal choice, I usually want my images to open in Photoshop where they can be viewed and/or worked on immediately
Here's a screen shot of what I get when I click 'change all'. When I click 'continue' the 'open with' window reverts to "Preview" and. of course, the image will open in Preview. If I don't click 'change all' just that image will open Photo.
That's why I suggest there may be a problem someplace.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture 1.jpg (98.8 KB, 4 views)
QUOTE Thanks
Alexis

Alexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo

Are there two versions of Photoshop 5.5 in the 'open with' drop down menu?
QUOTE Thanks
ellsin

No! There's just the one.
QUOTE Thanks
dtownley1

hmm, interesting. You've turned your mac off since attempting this, right? Just that sometimes niggly little problems may sort themselves out that way.

Also, was photoshop 5.5 available for OS X? Do you open it in OS X or classic? I used it years ago for OS9. Photoshop 7 was the latest I personally used on OS X. I don't think that would be a problem, since an app is an app really.

I can't think what else it could be.
One more thing (not related to your problem, sorry) but what are the dimensions of that image? Seems strange to have an 892kb image, with dimensions that appear so small. I'm just curious.

Back to the problem. If it doesn't work after restart, possibly the only other thing to do is drag each image onto the photoshop dock icon.

Actually, you may be able to come up with something in Automator, or use a script. I don't use those things myself, so can't say if it will save time opening each image (if you have to open automator first or not) but that's something that could work. And although I don't use it much, Quicksilver (free download) may be another alternative.

QUOTE Thanks
Liam

Liam has a spectacular aura about

I gave up with trying something similar. It's ridiculous.

I wanted every jpeg on the machine to open in Preview, however if I make a new JPEG in photoshop, then that JPEG will as default, open in Photoshop. Ridiculous.
QUOTE Thanks
ellsin

Turned off Mac yes. I've tried this operation many times over the last week or so the problem persists.

Photoshop 5.5 opens in classic and I suspect this is the cause of the dysfunction. I have a friend with an Imac G5 using classic for the same Phot 5.5 and he has the same problem!!
I'm hoping to pick up a later version of Photo for OSX then we shall see.

In the meantime I'm considering dumping Preview, thus forcing images to open in Photoshop but will they then open in Iphoto?? I can see no point in having Preview when Photoshop is my app of choice.

The image in the background of my screenshot looks so small 'cause it's just a thumbnail, desktop icons have been reduced to 'very small' 28x28 the actual image, when opened, is about 45 X 32 cms at 72 res, used as the startupscreen on my old 8500.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« What is the best product for mac and pictures?? | Help identifying a font... »