New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Images, Graphic Design, and Digital Photography Discussion of all things graphics.

iPhoto blank edit screen

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

KT Hovy

KT Hovy is on a distinguished road

I have iPhoto version 9.2.1 and OS 10.7.2. Ever since upgrading to Lion, I cannot edit any photos anymore. I can see the thumbnails, but when I try to edit the photo there is just a blank black screen, even though the thumbnails are still visible at the bottom of the screen. I have my photo library on an additional drive installed in the main box. I have the MacPro. I have not fiddled at all with the photo library. I have tried to create a new library on the internal drive and imported photos into the new library, but I have the same problem. Any suggestions on how to fix this?
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2009 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

As suggested elsewhere, launch iPhoto with the option and command keys held down, which brings up a repair dialogue. Check every option, go make yourself some tea -- it will take a while.
QUOTE Thanks
KT Hovy

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas_m View Post
As suggested elsewhere, launch iPhoto with the option and command keys held down, which brings up a repair dialogue. Check every option, go make yourself some tea -- it will take a while.
Yes, I read this before and have tried it, but I still get the blank screen. Any other suggestions please?
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2009 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

If that didn't fix it, then:

a. Your library is severely corrupted, or
b. You or someone has been mucking about with the iPhoto Library package, or
c. Your graphics card/chipset is having issues. I have seen this latter problem on some early MacBooks.
QUOTE Thanks
KT Hovy

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas_m View Post
If that didn't fix it, then:

a. Your library is severely corrupted, or
b. You or someone has been mucking about with the iPhoto Library package, or
c. Your graphics card/chipset is having issues. I have seen this latter problem on some early MacBooks.
If the library is corrupt or has been tampered with then that can explain this issue with my main library. But when I create a totally new library on the internal drive, I still get the same problem. If it is the the graphics card/chipset, how will other programs be affected? I am not having any issues with any other program. Could this be linked to Lion? I am still running Snow Leopard on my Mac Book Pro with the latest iPhoto and do not have any issues there......
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

The graphics possibility is not really a possibility if the machine you're having trouble with is the Mac Pro, as it has its own discrete video card which generally precludes the issue.

You say the issue persists if you create a completely new library and import pictures to it. To me that suggests only two possibilities: the picture files themselves have some corrupted pixels, or there's something in your user profile that is causing this.

Have you tried creating an entirely new user account and seeing if the problem also appears there?

As for the former option, I have found that JPEGs I can download from the net with some bad pixels in them will show up anyway in some programs (like Preview and Graphic Converter) but will not display at all in iPhoto. An image like this for example:

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Photoshop CS5 (Upgrade) | Lytro- Light Field Camera »