New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Images, Graphic Design, and Digital Photography Discussion of all things graphics.

What software for a building design??

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

les666

les666 is on a distinguished road

hi all, I'm trying to design a house extension, I need to do some basic plans to show an architect what I have in mind..nothing too fancy just line drawings with size and icons for doors etc..is there an app or software that is pretty idiot proof, I don't want to spend a lot as its a one off , just thought it might be a bit of fun doing it this way rather than using piles of paper.....thanks
QUOTE Thanks
dekan

dekan is a jewel in the roughdekan is a jewel in the rough

Not sure how crazy you would want to go, but I like Google SketchUp for modeling our trade show booths and such. It's free and not super hard to learn. I used a lot of Youtube at the beginning to get a hang at it. Once you have your model, you can showcase everything in 3D or export images from different angles.

Google SketchUp
Getting started with Google SketchUp - YouTube

Hope that helps and good luck :-)

QUOTE Thanks
les666

thanks , I will go and see what its like..3D sounds good but probably way over my head as I have never done this sort of thing before..any other options ??
QUOTE Thanks
bboggess

bboggess has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: late 2011 mac Mini, 2.3 GHz core i5, 8 GB 1333 MHz DDR3, Yosemite, Retina display iPad, Iphone 5S

Sweethome 3D is free, opensource and runs on Lion. It is drag and drop and can be as simple or complex as you need it to be. I used it on Linux before I switched to Mac. Here is the link.

Sweet Home 3D

Bill
QUOTE Thanks
les666

is there a 2D floor plan option anywhere..all these 3D are just too involved for what I need..
QUOTE Thanks
dekan

dekan is a jewel in the roughdekan is a jewel in the rough

Try OmniGraffle - not free, but has a 14 day trial version:
OmniGraffle for Mac - Products - The Omni Group

It's the "Visio" Microsoft always wanted to develop ;-) Have used it in the past and think it's a great app. Easy to wrap your head around and draw in 2D.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« aperture vs elements | iPhoto and separate folder - Overkill? »