New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Images, Graphic Design, and Digital Photography Discussion of all things graphics.

photo critiqueing

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Kutless217

Kutless217 is on a distinguished road

I wanted to start a thread where we could talk about photography techniques and critique each other's shots. From the shot of the month rules we aren't supposed to talk about technique and all that fun stuff in that thread (not to mention the shots are supposed to be from that month) but many of you seem to be pretty knowledgeable when it comes to photgraphy and i can always use a helping eye to aid me in my learning.

With that this first picture i would like to submit is of one i took in Africa. from my own opinion the neck seems to be a bit too overexposed and i am having a problem with bringing it down a bit with out it looking grayish.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Giraffe copy.jpg (223.0 KB, 47 views)
QUOTE Thanks
PhotoTechie

Hi, technically it is over exposed and the saturation is really high. Could be because of an incorrect setting or an inability to control the saturation level. Be aware that when you "bring it down" you will increase the contrast of any image for sure. That will make the overall image more unacceptable in my opinion.

All that said, I wouldn't let it stop me from displaying the image if I liked it personally.
QUOTE Thanks
quanz

comp is whack, use the golden section. have the neck come up from the direct bottom right and leave less head room.
QUOTE Thanks
J.LaFrance

J.LaFrance is on a distinguished road

Perhaps turn the contrast down a tiny bit to tone down the white spots on face/neck a bit. Not a bad shot though.
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

Would it help to know what kind of camera these shots are taken with? Sometimes you can correct for the exposure by adjusting the camera and getting a second shot that requires little or no work afterwards.

Just a thought.

QUOTE Thanks
IanCT

IanCT will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: iMac 24" 2.66 C2D, 13" MacBook i7 2.9GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 4

I'll post the link to my .Mac account where I placed my rookie photography. I broke out my tripod and started playing with exposure, shutter speed, ISO/WB, etc...

Be kind.

http://homepage.mac.com/iancthurston...toAlbum16.html
QUOTE Thanks
quanz

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanCT
I'll post the link to my .Mac account where I placed my rookie photography. I broke out my tripod and started playing with exposure, shutter speed, ISO/WB, etc...

Be kind.

http://homepage.mac.com/iancthurston...toAlbum16.html
keep shooting, thats all the advice you need
QUOTE Thanks
IanCT

IanCT will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: iMac 24" 2.66 C2D, 13" MacBook i7 2.9GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by quanz
keep shooting, thats all the advice you need
LOL, thanks I appreciate that!

-Ian
QUOTE Thanks
xenon901

xenon901 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Intel Mac 17" 1GB RAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kutless217
I wanted to start a thread where we could talk about photography techniques and critique each other's shots. From the shot of the month rules we aren't supposed to talk about technique and all that fun stuff in that thread (not to mention the shots are supposed to be from that month) but many of you seem to be pretty knowledgeable when it comes to photgraphy and i can always use a helping eye to aid me in my learning.

With that this first picture i would like to submit is of one i took in Africa. from my own opinion the neck seems to be a bit too overexposed and i am having a problem with bringing it down a bit with out it looking grayish.
Great shot, I can see what you mean about a tad over exposed, but all in all it's good, I'd definately be proud of it! Will using photoshop's 'burn' tool not have much of an effect? (I realise it's difficult to be able to use this tool and make it 'blend')

here's a few of mine: http://www.flickr.com/photos/87469246@N00/

I realise some of them are technically hideous but I like them for various reasons, and I'd definately appreciate some constructive criticism!
QUOTE Thanks
Kutless217

i hadn't thought of posting all my pics to my .mac account i will do that and post the link in an hour or so

oh and to xenon i really liked the zippo shot
QUOTE Thanks
Kutless217

here are some of my best. Most were shot with a 35mm SLR

http://homepage.mac.com/phoenixupris...otoAlbum7.html
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

trpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano

http://www.rmullinsphotos.com

Still working on getting more of the shots on

Don't forget to use the new User Reputation System
QUOTE Thanks
Kutless217

just wondering trpn but what camera are you using?

oh and nice website. did you build it yourself?
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

trpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano

Those were shot with my Digital Rebel and a 75-300 Canon lens. I will probably be putting up the shots that I took with my dad's 20D and 100-400 L Series lens (Such a pretty lens) in a few days.

I just threw the site together with GoLive since I didn't really feel like coding it

Don't forget to use the new User Reputation System
QUOTE Thanks
Kutless217

hmm i should check out golive. that is a pretty nice set up. right now i just use dreamweaver. for my quick portfolio thing though i just used iphoto and uploaded it.

also that is the older model Rebel not the XT correct? the reason i ask is i am looking at buying the XT and i like the quality i am seeing from those shots of yours.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iPhoto problem | My World of Warcraft character screenshot »