New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Images, Graphic Design, and Digital Photography Discussion of all things graphics.

Thoughts on photo printer / scanner combo?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Sawday

Sawday is a jewel in the roughSawday is a jewel in the roughSawday is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 24" Aluminium, 2.8 GHz, 4Gb RAM. iPad2, iPhone4

It's time to retire my Epson R300 colour printer and scanner (Canoscan D660U). I have an HP Laserjet for text printing but I do want a very good colour printer for my new hobby/one man business - restoring old photos and/or importing them into family tree achives.
I almost talked myself into getting an all-in-one (Canon MG6250 or HP Envy) but seeing the Canon in person has put me off (flimsy build and prone to scratches). The all-in-one approach has some benefit but as photo quality is my prime concern I'm pretty much certain to choose separate units. The scanner will be an Epson V500 or V600 (Canon 5600 considered but again too flimsy and I cannot find a 9000f model to look at) but what printer to choose? The Epson P50 is a contender but the only others I can find are A3 models (Epson SP1400 or Canon IX6550) and I'm not sure I'll ever be able to afford A3 prints!
So, finally, my questions are: are there any other serious colour printers at this price level that I have yet to discover? Is my separate scanner/printer always going to win over the best all-in-one? Your thoughts and retold experiences will be most welcome.

Happiness is not getting what you want, but wanting what you get.
QUOTE Thanks
osxx

osxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3

10 best photo printers reviewed and rated | News | TechRadar
I am a fan of HP.
QUOTE Thanks
Sawday

Sawday is a jewel in the roughSawday is a jewel in the roughSawday is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 24" Aluminium, 2.8 GHz, 4Gb RAM. iPad2, iPhone4

Thank you for that link osxx. Some models there are new to me so I look forward to further reading.

Anyone else like to add anyhing?

Happiness is not getting what you want, but wanting what you get.
QUOTE Thanks
Krzykat

Krzykat is on a distinguished road

I've liked the HP's I've used in the past, currently I have an Epson Stylus Photo RX595 All In One. I'll admit I rarely use the scan function, but I do use it to copy things including photos. My photos (as long as I use good quality paper) come out great, and I know there are better photo printing Epson's than mine. I bought my Epson after a side by side comparison of a photo printed on both the Epson and a HP, subtle differences, but I thought the Epson was better. That said my Mom has a HP All In One and the photos printed on hers are fine as well.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Camera FAQ | Help--My iPhoto Prints are Garbage »