New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Images, Graphic Design, and Digital Photography Discussion of all things graphics.

Photography Showcase

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Marillionaire

Marillionaire is on a distinguished road

DSC_0118 copy.jpg

Caught these guys taking a break in the High Street Edinburgh whilst out for a stroll with my camera.
QUOTE Thanks
Chuckoir

Chuckoir is a jewel in the roughChuckoir is a jewel in the roughChuckoir is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 13" Late 2011 MBP,iPad '3' 32gb,iPhone4 32gb

Have picture of a snowy tree - taken yesterday in Hinterglemm, Austria.

Play the guitar?! Check out the [newly created]Mac-Forums guitar thread!
QUOTE Thanks
Chris....

Chris.... has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: HOME: imac 24", 2.66GHZ INTEL CORE 2 DUO, 4GB ram, 640GB HD.WORK:G5 Dual 2.7 GHz, 8GB ram

Took this a couple of days ago
QUOTE Thanks
Marillionaire

Very nice pic I like the way the head stands out so brightly against the soft focus background.
QUOTE Thanks
Marillionaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprool View Post

incense smoke shot with a bit of photoshopping
Very nice pic ilk the way you have mirrored the image.
QUOTE Thanks
Doug b

Doug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5

Taken with an app called "Pudding Camera" on my Evo 4g. (heavily compressed by Flickr) These are my kitty cats:

Oh, and those foreign things in the background? Those are CD's. Say it with me now.. "See-Deeeee's"

Doug
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug b View Post
Taken with an app called "Pudding Camera" on my Evo 4g. (heavily compressed by Flickr) These are my kitty cats:

Oh, and those foreign things in the background? Those are CD's. Say it with me now.. "See-Deeeee's"

Doug
Doug, you said Cats. I see one! Is that misses DougB?

CD? I have MANY of them. Know them well! Still prefer them for high quality audio reproduction. Do I see some LP's in the Top left? Have many of those also including some Sheffield Direct to Disk's that sound AMAZING.

Cool Pic BTW. I love cats. Join my FB sometime and I will show you my kitties.
QUOTE Thanks
Doug b

Doug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5

Technically, I said "kitty's"!

Yep, that's Mrs. B... in all of her "having just woken up" glory! And good eye.. those are just a few of my (mostly new) 180g. vinyl pressings up there. I only wish I was able to play them. Problem is that my apartment is very old, and leans like the Tower Of Pisa. I have shims on pretty much everything that isn't heavy enough to bolt its self down, and the walls probably aren't sturdy enough for me to mount Birch wood and brackets to hold my turntable.

The other problem with the building being old is that when big trucks go down the boulevard (which we live right on), everything shakes! I love my neighborhood, but can't wait until we move because of those issues.

Doug
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

That building sounds scary! Is it safe I hope?

Agreed, when a truck drove by, your turntable would probably skip all over the LP! I have lived in houses with very shaky floors and had many issues with my Turntables. In one the back of the fireplace was in my music room and I mounted a shelf on the fireplace brick to keep the turntable from being shaken by that shaky floor!
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

Nice pic Doug!

I'm fond of cats too and I also have a bunch of SeeDees around the place, though not a lot of vinyl. My linear tracking arm turntable bit the dust several years ago and I never got around to replacing it.

I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .
QUOTE Thanks
Doug b

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtravis7 View Post
That building sounds scary! Is it safe I hope?
So far so good I guess! Had an little earth quake here some months back, and it's still standing so...

Doug
QUOTE Thanks
McYukon

McYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9

Just before the cold snap of -36 ºC hit. Brrrrrrr

Use the reputation system if a post helps you!
Mac Forums IRC Channel - Help build it by hanging out with us
The next sentence is true. The previous sentence is false.
QUOTE Thanks
Doug b

Quote:
Originally Posted by McYukon View Post

Just before the cold snap of -36 ºC hit. Brrrrrrr

Wow, it's gorgeous there! Great place to do some astral photography. What's the story with that photo... What time was it, shutter speed, aperture, focal length etc etc.. Well done.

Doug
QUOTE Thanks
McYukon

McYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9

Well, it's pretty much thanks to my Dad that I made this photo.
He suggested at 10:52 PM that I try photograph the moonlight lake, so I bundled up and went out to see what I could do
Not having ever tried something like this before I just dialed in what I thought would work and hoped for the best.

EXIF
Camera: Nikon D7000
Lens: 18-200mm f3.5-5.6 Nikkor
Program: Manual
Exposure: 13 seconds
Aperture: f/3.5
ISO Speed: 100
Focal Length: 18 mm
Capture Time: 22:52:59

This alone produced a rather dark looking RAW image.

I probably should have exposed longer so I wouldn't have had to to re-adjust so much in Lr afterwards but for some reason that silly display
on the back of the camera always looks better than what you see on the computer!

In Lr,
I bumped the exposure from 0 to 2
Reduced Blacks from 5 to 2
Increased the Brightness from 50 to 100
Increased the contrast by from 25 to 50
Then I played with the Tone Curve so long until I was satisfied

PS: Exiftool is awesome, using this command in a folder of images
exiftool -model -LensModel -ExposureProgram -WhiteBalance -ExposureTime -FNumber -ISO -FocalLength -FocalLengthIn35mmFormat ./*.jpg >> exif.txt

Produces this output. Almost forum ready!

======== ./DSC_2140-2.jpg
Camera Model Name : NIKON D7000
Lens Model : 35.0 mm f/1.8
Exposure Program : Aperture-priority AE
White Balance : Auto
Exposure Time : 1/1250
F Number : 4.0
ISO : 100
Focal Length : 35.0 mm
Focal Length In 35mm Format : 52 mm
======== ./DSC_2140.jpg
Camera Model Name : NIKON D7000
Lens Model : 35.0 mm f/1.8
Exposure Program : Aperture-priority AE
White Balance : Auto
Exposure Time : 1/1250
F Number : 4.0
ISO : 100
Focal Length : 35.0 mm
Focal Length In 35mm Format : 52 mm

Use the reputation system if a post helps you!
Mac Forums IRC Channel - Help build it by hanging out with us
The next sentence is true. The previous sentence is false.

Last edited by McYukon; 01-18-2012 at 12:54 AM.
QUOTE Thanks
Doug b

All things considered, you did a good job of recovering things in LR. Have you downloaded LR Beta 4 yet? it's got some excellent enhancements going on for it such as a much improved highlight slider (takes the place of the recovery slider) and all of the other adjustments are able to be brushed in selectively. (such as highlights, noise removal etc.. )

In regard to checking the LCD on the back of your D7000... it will never be reliable if you're shooting RAW. That little preview is a tiny jpg that is attached to the RAW file and uses the in camera settings, but is still limited by the actual lcd its self in terms of what you see.

Use the meter and get to know it well. Use the histogram and get to know it just as well. Interestingly, everything on the LCD of my D300 is darker than the NEF always turns out by at least one stop or more. Also remember that when you're shooting in the dark towards a landscape, it's probably better to spot meter. That will at least give you the most accurate baseline to work with since most of the sky is dark.

Good thing you used the base ISO, or else you would have pulled out some pretty nasty noise!

Doug

P.S. Did you know that you can just drop an image or a series of images into terminal (after having launched terminal and after having typed "exiftool" followed by a space) and you'd get the same results?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« How do I open a MRI CD? | What Digital Camera do you have . . . Share your baby with me please !!! »