New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Images, Graphic Design, and Digital Photography Discussion of all things graphics.

Lion With Aperture 3

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

JohnMac2007UK

JohnMac2007UK is on a distinguished road

Hi Everyone:
Just a new convert over to MAC.
Looking at purchasing Aperture 3.
But.
Have been reading alot of negative reports concerning "Aperture 3 & OSX Lion"
Saying Aperture 3 running very slow, has anyone encountered this problem, and your advise on moving on from iPhoto to Aperture, I do have a DSLR and very keen on photography, have been using in the past Painshop Pro X2 & PS-Elements 8.
Looking at Aperture 3, I believe I would get alot out of this software, and I do like the Places feature.

Any advice will be well received.

John R McNally
Newcastle on Tyne
UK
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMac2007UK View Post
Hi Everyone:
Just a new convert over to MAC.
Looking at purchasing Aperture 3.
But.
Have been reading alot of negative reports concerning "Aperture 3 & OSX Lion"
Saying Aperture 3 running very slow, has anyone encountered this problem, and your advise on moving on from iPhoto to Aperture, I do have a DSLR and very keen on photography, have been using in the past Painshop Pro X2 & PS-Elements 8.
Looking at Aperture 3, I believe I would get alot out of this software, and I do like the Places feature.

Any advice will be well received.

John R McNally
Newcastle on Tyne
UK
I have not noticed any slowdown with Aperture 3 since I upgraded to Lion.

I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .
QUOTE Thanks
JohnMac2007UK

Cheers Razormac:
I think I will download the 30 free trial & see how that goes.
John Mac.
UK
QUOTE Thanks
Doug b

Doug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5

When doing the 30 day trial, be sure to exhaust each and every one of the editing options. While you may not necessarily use brushes in your current workflow, this doesn't mean you won't at a later time. There most definitely is an issue running A3 with Lion, but it isn't always apparent. Try and put it through the paces, and see how you get on with it and how it gets on with your current configuration.

Doug
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug b View Post
When doing the 30 day trial, be sure to exhaust each and every one of the editing options. While you may not necessarily use brushes in your current workflow, this doesn't mean you won't at a later time. There most definitely is an issue running A3 with Lion, but it isn't always apparent. Try and put it through the paces, and see how you get on with it and how it gets on with your current configuration.

Doug
Doug,
Where does it show up? (Just curious because I haven't seen the issue . . . but I may not be using the features that are bogging down.)

EDIT: I just did some searching and saw a lot of comments regarding issues with Aperture 3 and Lion . . . from my quick read it seemed most fell in the area of 1) Color (non support of Adobe RGB) and 2) Library mgt with referenced Libraries. If true, I can see why I haven't noticed. I use sRGB and let Aperture handle the files in its internal folders.

I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .
QUOTE Thanks
JohnMac2007UK

Cheers Doug & Razormac:
Doug that is good sound advice, I will put it through it's paces using as many tools/brushes as I can possibly fit in, putting away lots of copied images just to work on "Test Run" using Aperture 3.

John Mac.
UK.
QUOTE Thanks
Del

Del has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 2xQuad core 2.8GHZ

Remember people are always quicker to complain than to praise, thats why you read a lot of issue with it. I have used Aperture since 1.5 and love it
QUOTE Thanks
JohnMac2007UK

Cheers Del:
What I will do possibly later today, or tomorrow at latest, download Aperture 3 for it's 30 free trial and test it out.
Looking on the Apple site and reading up on Aperture, also looking at all the short video's, "It Looks Great To Me"

I will also be looking around on youTube for video tutorials that Aperture Enthuisiasts have submitted.

John Mac
UK
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« aperture 3 | Duplicate iPhoto images after migration »