New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Images, Graphic Design, and Digital Photography Discussion of all things graphics.

Want Basic Image Editor. iPhoto not Work as Lack Disk Space.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Trevor2522

Trevor2522 is on a distinguished road

iPhoto tries to capture my entire large image library and then tells me there's not enough memory to do it. WTF !? There's no way to select single images! The people who design these programs must be total retards who are out-of-touch with the real world (or ex-Microsoft). Had a look at Gimp and Paintbrush here but they were brain damage for the simple tools I need.

I only want to pixelate or colour-out faces (for anonymity) on a few selected images on my desktop. Would prefer freeware / shareware but am prepared to pay for a cheapish image-editing program. Any suggestions from established Mac users? Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Try Pixelmator currently being sold in the Mac App store for $29.99.
QUOTE Thanks
mtbinva

mtbinva will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 15"MBP 2.66, 750GB 7200RPM HD, 8GB RAM; iPhone4S 64GB; 32GB iPad, White, AT&T.

Another alternative for a great editing program is Gimp. GIMP - The GNU Image Manipulation Program

It is a free open source app that is rather robust.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

I love the GIMP but it's such a doggone headache to get running in OS X or I would have recommended it. It's actually a very powerful program similar to Photoshop.
QUOTE Thanks
ComboCasting

ComboCasting is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
I love the GIMP but it's such a doggone headache to get running in OS X or I would have recommended it. It's actually a very powerful program similar to Photoshop.
Yes I noticed a few issues such as opening files, and finding external hard drives when importing images. Used to be good, I hope somebody is on this over at GIMP cause the program pretty good.

Also @OP, photoshop elements is a good alternative as well.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor2522 View Post
iPhoto tries to capture my entire large image library and then tells me there's not enough memory to do it. WTF !? There's no way to select single images! The people who design these programs must be total retards who are out-of-touch with the real world (or ex-Microsoft).
No, they're not. The problem, to be blunt, is you. You don't (or didn't) understand that iPhoto is not primarily an image editor, it's primarily an image ORGANISER. Ergo, it's function is to capture and catalog an image library, while retaining some basic editing tools as a convenience.

In the "real world" as you call it, people with "large image libraries" actually do appreciate having such a program around, it's insanely useful. Incidentally, iPhoto doesn't automatically import images; it has to be told to do this (except for when a camera is plugged in, but even that is easily turned off in preferences if you want). So again, this is likely to be a problem that exists between the computer and the chair if you get my drift.

You're not going to get very far with Macs (or any other sort of computer) if you make incorrect assumptions about what apps do and then blame them when they don't do what you imagined they would. It's not like Apple makes iPhoto's purpose and functionality secret.

I second the recommendation for Pixelmator, but I encourage you to get in the habit of doing at least a minimal minimal amount of research, particularly when you're going to buy something; it will save you a lot of grief in the future.
QUOTE Thanks
xstep

xstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid

Quote:
iPhoto tries to capture my entire large image library and then tells me there's not enough memory to do it. WTF !? There's no way to select single images!
Are you saying File-->"Import to Library..." isn't allowing you to select individual images? Really? Works find here in iPhoto 09.

Quote:
The people who design these programs must be total retards who are out-of-touch with the real world (or ex-Microsoft).
No. Programs are designed to do specific things. iPhoto is a library management tool and basic photo editor. The editing capabilities affect the over all image being edited. For your indicated requirements, you need a pixel level editor, such as those already suggested.

I was going to talk about your ignorance displayed in your post, but I think chas_m nailed it. Rather than attacking others when you don't understand something, turn that frustration into questions. Ignorance is curable with an open mind.

CameraTime - Time lapse photography for novice and advanced users.

When asking questions, post the version of your software. You'll receive better answers.

Please post your results to the thread as it is good feedback.
QUOTE Thanks
Sawday

Sawday is a jewel in the roughSawday is a jewel in the roughSawday is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 24" Aluminium, 2.8 GHz, 4Gb RAM. iPad2, iPhone4

You can just drag the image you want to mess with to the iPhoto icon and that image, and only that image, will be imported into iPhoto. Problem? What problem?

Happiness is not getting what you want, but wanting what you get.
QUOTE Thanks
Trevor2522

Trevor2522 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbinva View Post
Another alternative for a great editing program is Gimp. GIMP - The GNU Image Manipulation Program

It is a free open source app that is rather robust.
GIMP ... what a joke! No explanations for icons and no marked pixelation tool. I got a life a long time ago and don't want to spend it reading manuals. If a program doesn't label, in English, which tools do what, it isn't getting my support or money.

iPhoto does allow for single-image imports. However, by default when first opened, it tried to duplicate all my images and clog-up my hard drive. Anyone with even the crudest photographic experience knows that you only want the very best of the best images before you even think about manipulating them. Steve Jobs, the fanatical vegetarian who loves killing himself with his diet, clearly doesn't get it.

iPhoto has a crude unsharpening/anonymity tool called 'Retouch' which does, more or less, what I wanted, even though it wasn't its prime function.

iPhoto's red eye tool is a joke which leaves blue panda-eyes which can't be removed. I've seen a few duff red-eye tools in my time but this one takes the biscuit!

I expect better than this from Apple. I shouldn't have to pay for extra programs to perform such basic functions as red eye, cropping and pixelation -- which is all 99% of users need anyway.
QUOTE Thanks
codda

codda is a jewel in the roughcodda is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 21.5 iMac 3.06 ghz 12gb ram 500g HD iPad 2 16G

I guess it's settled then...
QUOTE Thanks
Sawday

Sawday is a jewel in the roughSawday is a jewel in the roughSawday is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 24" Aluminium, 2.8 GHz, 4Gb RAM. iPad2, iPhone4

Quote:

iPhoto's red eye tool is a joke which leaves blue panda-eyes which can't be removed. I've seen a few duff red-eye tools in my time but this one takes the biscuit!
You've got the size set wrongly. Try changing the size to manual and adjusting. Works just fine for the rest of us.

Happiness is not getting what you want, but wanting what you get.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« How do I convert an animation thats 50mb to under 20mb | iPhoto question please? »