New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Images, Graphic Design, and Digital Photography Discussion of all things graphics.

So who wants to help with my yearbook cover?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Blingies

Blingies is on a distinguished road

Hey peeps, I designed this cover for my schools yearbook, and i could use a few suggestions for improvements..

What do you think?
http://i.imgur.com/zdaID.png
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

I think you've done a really lovely job there, might suggest finding a font with a bit more flair for the title, otherwise it's spiffy.
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

Some notes I did on your cover.

1. I would bring in the text on the bottom of the 2011 so that it lines up on both sides.
2. Use a different typeface or a different weight for the "Australian Science..." etc part. IE. Bold, medium, heavy etc.
3. Use less leading between the two lines so they are a little closer. Might disregard this part depends if you change the font.

Since there is a lot going on with the graphics you want to make the written word part be a unit/box for easy reading.

死神はリンゴしか食べない。
QUOTE Thanks
quin

quin will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MBP 13, 2.4, 8GB, 120GB SSD OCZ

I have a degree in graphic design. There is no 'right' way for a layout. There are guidelines to go by. Usually if it looks 'right' it's good.

Don't know if the design under the text title is important, but it seems redundant, almost a space filler. Try moving the design elements like so:
Attached Files
File Type: pdf zdaID.png.pdf (593.8 KB, 12 views)
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

Quote:
Originally Posted by quin View Post
I have a degree in graphic design. There is no 'right' way for a layout. There are guidelines to go by. Usually if it looks 'right' it's good.

Don't know if the design under the text title is important, but it seems redundant, almost a space filler. Try moving the design elements like so:
In the layout that Blingies has now it needs it there, or something cause it would be an empty void without out.

Your layout does use the space better, but I would remove the the smaller symbol all together.

I don't like seeing text going vertical, but that's just me.

死神はリンゴしか食べない。
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

I agree with CR, although I'd prefer to see 2011 widened and bound by the width of the text below, there's space for it. Given the proximity to the other elements a stroke might be appropriate on the text as well.

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks
quin

quin will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MBP 13, 2.4, 8GB, 120GB SSD OCZ

The most important part of any layout is the subject or title of the piece. As it stands in the current layout, the title is pushed to the corner to 1/4 of the whole design. With a lot of good graphics taking up all the spaces, but they are essentially only background graphics. They are meant to accentuate and compliment the title not to overshadow the title. In this case, it's taking spaces from the title. Just give the title more spacing that it deserved and at the same time you still have plenty of spaces for the creative graphics.

Keeping the above in mind, you can still move things around in a variety of ways and still have a good layout that will look 'right'
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

Quote:
Originally Posted by quin View Post
The most important part of any layout is the subject or title of the piece. As it stands in the current layout, the title is pushed to the corner to 1/4 of the whole design. With a lot of good graphics taking up all the spaces, but they are essentially only background graphics. They are meant to accentuate and compliment the title not to overshadow the title. In this case, it's taking spaces from the title. Just give the title more spacing that it deserved and at the same time you still have plenty of spaces for the creative graphics.

Keeping the above in mind, you can still move things around in a variety of ways and still have a good layout that will look 'right'
I have to agree that yellow wave takes up a lot of the space and is pretty dominant in the composition.

死神はリンゴしか食べない。
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iPhoto won't accept a PDF! | Apple Packaging »