New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Images, Graphic Design, and Digital Photography Discussion of all things graphics.

How to transfer pictures from my Canon Powershot SD790 IS to my macbook pro.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Nickie

Nickie is on a distinguished road

Hello all.
I recently switched from a PC to a mac, and now enjoy my Macbook Pro. It's not one of the newer ones, but it's just as good.
The problem i've come across is I can't seem to figure out how to transfer pictures from my canon powershot camera, to my computer. I've tried having the camera plugged in, and opening Iphoto, to no result, To downloading the canon software directly from the website, to which it replies with "no camera found" when I try and search for it. It's as if I never have it plugged in at all.
Is there any way I can access the USB drive directly via my HDD or something?

Any advice would suffice, anything that will keep me from having to go out and buy a memory card reader to upload the pictures >_<
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickie View Post
Hello all.
I recently switched from a PC to a mac, and now enjoy my Macbook Pro. It's not one of the newer ones, but it's just as good.
The problem i've come across is I can't seem to figure out how to transfer pictures from my canon powershot camera, to my computer. I've tried having the camera plugged in, and opening Iphoto, to no result, To downloading the canon software directly from the website, to which it replies with "no camera found" when I try and search for it. It's as if I never have it plugged in at all.
Is there any way I can access the USB drive directly via my HDD or something?

Any advice would suffice, anything that will keep me from having to go out and buy a memory card reader to upload the pictures >_<
Not sure why you are opposed to buying a memory card reader. The reccomendation you will get from most of us here is not to download from the camera using the USB cable.
SD Card Readers are cheap (~$10) and reliable. In my kit I usually have a minimum of four 4GB to 8GB SD Cards that I swap out as I fill them. When I am ready to download to Aperture (works the same for iPhoto, but I no longer use it) you pull the SD Card and insert it into the Card Reader and Aperture or iPhoto will take it from there.

EDIT: I actually have 3 SD Card Readers; I keep one with my MBP and the others in different Kit bags. For that matter I have a fourth if you count the SD Card adaptor I bought for my iPad

EDIT2: What version of iPhoto are you running? Since you have an older Mac if you have an older version of iPhoto as well it may not have the drivers to support your camera.

I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .
QUOTE Thanks
codda

codda is a jewel in the roughcodda is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 21.5 iMac 3.06 ghz 12gb ram 500g HD iPad 2 16G

+ 1 on the card reader...I have the same camera....works as described above.
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

edit: oops missed that it's not a new one.

Anyway, I just use a card reader. It saves battery usage on the camera. This is true of all my cameras btw, my SD790, D200 etc.

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Auto Stitch Program For Mac? | iMovie and Handbrake »