New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Images, Graphic Design, and Digital Photography Discussion of all things graphics.

Colour detail confusion

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Andy007

Andy007 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: White Unibody Macbook (end 2009)

Hi all,

I have a white macbook that was bought brand new in March 2010 (first white one to come with multi touch pad).

I like to mess about in photoshop every now and again and the other day I was making something that was originally white, into black instead. On the Macbook screen it looked perfectly blended, all nicely black and merged well etc. The next day I looked at my finished creation on the work computer instead, to find that the area I had merged was a slightly grey looking black and you could make out the parts that I had coloured over.

Does anybody know why this might be? The screen at work is a 19" widescreen Viewsonic TFT, which isn't particularly amazing or anything.

I was under the impression that the newer Macbooks dealt with dark colours quite well these days? Especially with LED screens and better graphics cards?

Any help would be muchly appreciated.

Thanks!

Andy
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

You need to make sure your color profiles are the same.

死神はリンゴしか食べない。
QUOTE Thanks
Andy007

Thanks.....how would someone go about checking this?

I forgot to mention the computer at work is a Windows based machine if that helps, but I wouldnt have thought this would make any difference when you are just looking at something on a screen?
QUOTE Thanks
Andy007

Hi all, I originally posted this in the images section but ive either not explained it fully enough, or have concluded not everybody looks in there, so was hoping for a possible solution in this section being a generic one.

I have a white macbook that was bought brand new in March 2010 (first white one to come with multi touch pad).

I like to mess about in photoshop every now and again and the other day I was making a shirt on someone that was originally white, into black instead. On the Macbook screen it looked perfectly blended with the black background, all nicely black and merged well etc. The next day I looked at my finished creation on the work computer instead (windows based), to find that the area I had blended was a slightly grey looking black and you could quite easily see the parts that I had colored over. I then had to re-color that part using MS paint, in order to get the correct shade of black.

Does anybody know why this might be? The screen at work is a 19" widescreen Viewsonic TFT, which isn't particularly amazing or anything.

Any help would be muchly appreciated.

Thanks!

Andy
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Note: Merged duplicate threads. The Lounge is for off-topic conversation only. No tech questions belong there at all.

If no one here is sure how to adjust the color profile in windows, you might try google with "windows change color profile" or something similar.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
chappers

chappers is on a distinguished road

I can't speak for the white macBooks, but I have a MacBook Pro and I can confirm I get a good match between the screen on my MBP and larger iMac and Dell computer with a 24" monitor. Now all these are calibrated and profiled so there should be a good match.

The problem may be down to a difference in contrast of the two screens. Which is correct is difficult to say. You might like to try going into System Prefs on the Mac, select Displays and chose Color. Select calibrate, and try calibrating the MacBooks display. This may help.
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by chappers View Post
Now all these are calibrated and profiled so there should be a good match.

This is key. Without calibrating both, you can NEVER expect a match.

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks
Andy007

Thank you, that information was very helpful and it worked perfectly
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Deleted files, long shot... | Aperture 3 »