New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Images, Graphic Design, and Digital Photography Discussion of all things graphics.

questions before i buy a mac...

Thread Closed

andygravity

i'm gonna post this thread in a few forums (here, anything goes, design, and video) so pls excuse if you've caught this one already..

i'm seriously considering getting a mac, and have a number of questions..
i plan to do a lot of photoshop and illustrator work, and would like to get into animation and video editing and production, as well as sound production and stuff. i have a project in my head that would involve taking video and enhancing it with animated elements, or "drawing" over the frames... (think DIY budget motion capture type stuff) i also want to do freelance design work on my free time, as well as spend next summer doing a bit of travelling and doing a documentary.
i'm certianly no pro in any of these departments, (aside from photoshop/illustrator) but im a whiz with software and i'm pretty confidant that w/ enough time i can get what i have in my head out on a disk... anyways i'll quit rambling an get to the point
portability would be a great asset, but i know for the $$ spent on a powerbook i can get a much more powerful powermac

my main question - can a powerbook handle video editing and animation type work (and possibly eventually 3d software - blender maybe?) well enough to learn and play on? i could spend ALOT more time working and learning if i could carry my projects around w/ me.. and love the idea of going to an event, filming it, and working on the final video on the trip back.. i know that for, say, after effects, the ati mobility radions DO support the open gl functions, but the system reqs suggest dual processors..

also - i have a sony handicam that records onto mini dvds - could a powerbook be used to capture video directly to the hard drive, bypassing the time restraints and cost of the disks?

lastly - any good tips on software (animation, video compositing, editing, etc - aside from the adobe family) i may want to look into, or any other good forums or sites for this kinda stuff, and any random thoughts, would be appreciated

i'm kinda leaning twords the 17" with a gig of ram vs... well whatever, any of the powermacs really. i know the $$ saved on the powerbook will afford a bigger monitor and more power @ home, and a longer lifespan in geneal as far as hardware becoming obsolete.... but will the PB be enough to do what i want, or would i be better off in the long run just going with a more powerful g5 and biting the bullet on the portability issue?

thanks alot
DCraver

DCraver is a jewel in the roughDCraver is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iMac G5

First off, I answered your post already. Second of all this is totally aganst forum rules. Don't ever post more than on espically in multiple forums. The Switchers Hangout was a perfect place to put it and you just ruined it. You're gonna get in trouble... Haha. Just don't do it again. And next time you join a forum or community, READ THE RULES. Thank you, I'll be here all night. Haha.
andygravity

haha WOOPS.
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

Thread closed due to rules. See the thread below:

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/sho...090#post152090

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!

Thread Closed

« so today i flew.... | "mypublisher.com" equivalent on OS-X? »