New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Images, Graphic Design, and Digital Photography Discussion of all things graphics.

Changing the date of the photograph?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Orchardmead143

Orchardmead143 is on a distinguished road

I have scanned in many 35mm photo slides (15 boxes with 50 slides per box) and they are sitting on my small QNAP server. I have now imported these into my MBP 15" i7 750gb 2011. The problem is that all these slides although taken between 1975 and 1995 are all dated 2008 because that is when they were scanned in.

Is it possible to batch change this embedded default date of 2008 to the date that these pictures were taken so that they show in the logical date order they were taken with the 35mm camera when viewed in Events in iPhoto?

Examples:
Box 1 July 1975 shows September 2008.
Box 4 June 1976 shows September 2008.
Box 8 August 1980 shows September 2008.

This may or may not be possible in iPhoto! The search brings up nothing! If not is there a program that I can use to do this? I thought I saw something about date changing on the site, but another search reveals nothing.

Any help would be most appreciated.

Regards

Peter
QUOTE Thanks
McYukon

McYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9

Try this, I'm not sure if it can do it as I never tried!
Opps, forget the link
http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/12156/photoinfo

Use the reputation system if a post helps you!
Mac Forums IRC Channel - Help build it by hanging out with us
The next sentence is true. The previous sentence is false.
QUOTE Thanks
Orchardmead143

Quote:
Originally Posted by McYukon View Post
Try this, I'm not sure if it can do it as I never tried!
Opps, forget the link
Download PhotoInfo for Mac - Display/print EXIF tags in JPEG or TIFF files and more. MacUpdate.com
Thanks. Unfortunately it does not work!

When I open it and point it to the iPhoto library, the library is greyed out and therefore not accessible.

Has anybody else any thoughts on how to solve the problem?
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Will "assume" it's the same with the current version - I'm still using iPhoto from iLife'08.

Open up iPhoto, highlight Events in the sidebar - highlight an event on the right side - on the Menu bar select Photos - Adjust Date and Time...

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
Orchardmead143

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtomay View Post
Will "assume" it's the same with the current version - I'm still using iPhoto from iLife'08.

Open up iPhoto, highlight Events in the sidebar - highlight an event on the right side - on the Menu bar select Photos - Adjust Date and Time...
bobtomay

Absolutely brilliant. I had looked everywhere and for some reason had missed the obvious. Thanks a lot. Where do I send the beers to? I had to rebuild after I changed the one box that I used as a test. This box of slides now appears at the top of the list with October 1968 as the date they were taken. This is correct as that is the date I put in for all those slides.

One thing that does not happen! In the latest iPhoto (it may not be the same in version 8) when you are in Events and use the scroll bar at the side and scroll down there is a large box that appears in the middle of the screen that shows the events date. This does not show 1968 which is the date of the very first batch of slides I changed the date from 2008 back to 1968. See first paragraph.

Any thoughts on this? Is it something that Apple have missed? Perhaps they ought to be made aware?

Other than this small detail, this date change is going to be a god send for me.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

A screen shot if you can take one might help. Guessing it's just a pop up showing where you are in the list of Events? Don't think I have that - I don't get any box when I scroll through Events - but then I don't have many since I use Aperture and it has a Projects category instead of Events - don't have a box there when I scroll through either.

edit: Possibly quit iPhoto and open it back up?

QUOTE Thanks
Orchardmead143

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtomay View Post
A screen shot if you can take one might help. Guessing it's just a pop up showing where you are in the list of Events? Don't think I have that - I don't get any box when I scroll through Events - but then I don't have many since I use Aperture and it has a Projects category instead of Events - don't have a box there when I scroll through either.

edit: Possibly quit iPhoto and open it back up?
Hi. After converting more it does show up. I was a little hasty when I first posted. Sorry if I caused confusion! When I open up the very first slide box (named BOX1) that I changed to October 1968 and show all the photos and start to scroll (the right hand scroll bar), up comes the oblong black box with the exact date. This is really good.

I would love to show you what it looks like, but as far as I can see (unless you know differently) I cannot keep the scroll bar active (showing the date box) and grab a screen at the same time. Can I? I am using a Logitech M505 wireless mouse and as soon as I press the left mouse and move the scroll bar down up pops the box. How would I grab the screen at the point. I could take a photo.

Edited. Managed it.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Date in iPhoto.zip (982.1 KB, 6 views)
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

Thanks. Yeah, that is different than the '08 version - looks nicer, a lot cleaner looking than 08 - and nope, don't have that little pop up with the date like that even in the latest Aperture.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Perplexing file size in PS issue... | Hardware Configurations »